Anyone heard a peep about the IE Mod?

The actual features aside, the fact that a given mod is popular really doesn't mean a dev is obligated to put that mod in the game. (Heck, we'd have to figure out what's 'popular enough'. Do 10% of POE users use IE mod? More? Less?) IE mod isn't really fixing anything that is broken, it's a nice mod that we should appreciate the creators for, and if anything, push POE2 to become more moddable.

Devs aren't obligated to anything, but we're talking specifically about widely requested, basic functions; or at least most of us are. The amount of people using the IE Mod isn't really relevant to the discussion, except as something to point to as evidence that it can be implemented fairly easily.

There's really no excuse for the UI to still be locked into a horrible mockery of good taste, and there never really was an excuse for Neutral NPC:s not having their own selection circles, and there's still no excuse to not have an option for better experience pacing, or Favoured/Disfavoured bonuses not working for CNPC:s. Or not having a walk toggle, for that matter.

In some cases, the IEMod mucks about with core functions and assumptions, such as Per-Encounter Abilities and Resting Supplies and stuff like that. It's understandable that no such options would be included in the base game, for obvious reasons. But most of the stuff people want are either considered straight-up fixes - fixes which could be optional or not - or largely cosmetic issues or issues of pure usability. Basic stuff.

All of this just hinges on how you think the features at hand are so crucial that they should be in, which is really neither here nor there. At the end of the day arguing that devs are lazy and are outsourcing critical features to a mod is overkill, and I'm confident that the point is pretty clear already. *shrug*

• Like 3

As of patch 3.0, Faith and Conviction for NPCs scales with level.

Unfortunately this implementation bugged the ability for PCs, but the devs are already on it ;)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I only used IEMod once after PoE first released and never again.

The only mod I would be interested in, doesn't exist which is an SCS like AI Mod.

If the enemy AI used consumables and spells just a little more intelligent I would enjoy playing with a party much more.

• Like 2

If the enemy AI used consumables and spells just a little more intelligent I would enjoy playing with a party much more.

+1

But I still want the IE Mod :p

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

As of patch 3.0, Faith and Conviction for NPCs scales with level.

Unfortunately this implementation bugged the ability for PCs, but the devs are already on it ;)

Just scaling with level isn't really fixing it though, imho. We're bound by the actions of the party, the CNPC:s should be too. :p

t50aJUd.jpg

As probably the only person who was involved in it that is actually still active on this forum I have to ask.... What did you dislike about it so much?  It was very modular, you could use as many, or as few, of it it's features as you wanted.  All I used was the autosave functions, the fast sneak, and the UI (go fig).

personally, we do not believe that npc paladins should be affected by the player's dispositions.  when may moons ago we suggested that paladins should have a talent available to them that would alter npc faith and convictions bonuses so that they would scale with level, we described it as a loyalty bonus. call the bonus unblemished loyalty or bushido (for the anime fans) if it makes you feel better. the player makes the disposition dialogue choices and justifiably gets disposition adjustment, but am not even certain what is the dispositions for pallegina. from a practical pov, we do not see much value in discouraging a player from creating a bleak walker or kind wayfarer paladin follower just 'cause the dispositions do not match. use loyalty to explain an otherwise practical choice. 'course in the interest o' full disclosure,  since the 3.0 faiths and convictions for npcs works almost exact as Gromnir requested, we understandable see little need for change.

then again, pc faith and convictions is current busted, so...

regardless, most o' what the ie mod adds is not particular attractive or necessary for Gromnir enjoyment.  am personally not getting the ui complaints, but we don't play at extreme resolutions.  nevertheless, we understand that some folks are very displeased with the poe ui... Gromnir just ain't one o' those folks. being able to choose a different colored circle for each npc would be a welcome addition given how charlie fox poe combats can become, but we were never excited by the blue npc option. *shrug* there is any number o' changes we wish to see implemented for poe, but ie mod doesn't address most o' those desired changes.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

regardless, most o' what the ie mod adds is not particular attractive or necessary for Gromnir enjoyment.  am personally not getting the ui complaints, but we don't play at extreme resolutions.  nevertheless, we understand that some folks are very displeased with the poe ui...

Don't get me wrong, the default Eternity UI is solid, and more than functional.  It's problem is it is a little... plain I guess for some, has sort of a wishy washy color/highlight on characters, at high res like 4k you can't hide the chat box, the top of the UI gets lighter which makes it blend with the background in many cases, and so on.  Just niggling things nothing crazy.

regardless, most o' what the ie mod adds is not particular attractive or necessary for Gromnir enjoyment.  am personally not getting the ui complaints, but we don't play at extreme resolutions.  nevertheless, we understand that some folks are very displeased with the poe ui...

Don't get me wrong, the default Eternity UI is solid, and more than functional.  It's problem is it is a little... plain I guess for some, has sort of a wishy washy color/highlight on characters, at high res like 4k you can't hide the chat box, the top of the UI gets lighter which makes it blend with the background in many cases, and so on.  Just niggling things nothing crazy.

is a perfect fair assessment and we don't begrudge you for wanting change.  if the ie mod fixes the problems you got, so much the better.  nevertheless, we hardly even notice the ui anymore... which should come as no surprise given how many hours we got invested in the game. regardless, our comment weren't directed at you personal as we has seen other folks rather more animated in their displeasure with the poe ui.  is difficult for Gromnir to get as emotional about the ui as those folks do, but we recognize that such people exist and that their anger is genuine.

our apologies if it seemed like we were singling you out somehow.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

From what I've read, it seems that at least half of the IE mod users only really want the "walking mode" from it, and possibly the "blue NPC selection circles".

Why doesn't Obsidian just implement those two features in a patch, as people have repeatedly requested?

They should be trivial to implement.

Walking mode is technically already implemented in the game (and is used during cut-scenes), so all they'd need to do is to provide a key-binding that allows players to toggle it on demand.

I care for neither of those. I want to play without disengagement and without game not allowing me to freely change weapons and quickslot items during combat. It is an artificial limit that was not needed and IE games and it is not needed in PoE. Like in D&D in PoE you should be allowed to use items from your backpack as well as your belt slots.

As for disengagement, well enough topics are about that. I am just happy a mod for this exists.

I played my first playthrough without any mods and I am 100% sure I will enjoy it more by turning off these two bad design decisions.

• Like 1

My must-haves from the mod are:

- disable engagement

- cyan circles for neutral NPCs

- additional console commands

- remove recovery penalty while moving

- autosave only every 15 minutes upon area transition (and save before entering the area)

• Like 1

As probably the only person who was involved in it that is actually still active on this forum I have to ask.... What did you dislike about it so much?  It was very modular, you could use as many, or as few, of it it's features as you wanted.  All I used was the autosave functions, the fast sneak, and the UI (go fig).

I did not dislike it I don't need any of the features.

Most of them amke the game easier and it's already to easy.

For me the reduced XP is an essential thing. If you do most of the quests the games difficulty curve gets really messed up(way too easy later on) and that bites hard into my enjoyment. PotD feels right until act 2 and id like to keep that tension for the rest of game. I dont want to just plow through everything effortlessly after i have played a bit, i want to have those "NOPE! im outta here until stronger" -moments like the bear cave even later on in the game.

Some other options were nice, but the only thing i really care about is XP modifying as it allows the game to remain challenging while using a full party.

For me the reduced XP is an essential thing. If you do most of the quests the games difficulty curve gets really messed up(way too easy later on) and that bites hard into my enjoyment. PotD feels right until act 2 and id like to keep that tension for the rest of game. I dont want to just plow through everything effortlessly after i have played a bit, i want to have those "NOPE! im outta here until stronger" -moments like the bear cave even later on in the game.

Some other options were nice, but the only thing i really care about is XP modifying as it allows the game to remain challenging while using a full party.

I don'tthink this option was available, back when I tested the mod.

Sounds interesting, but if tthe mod is unusable with WM 2...

Yeah these days I play on a 4k monitor and there are stand out obvious problems with the UI at 4k.  Also I really like that IE Mod UI, I wonder why.......?  So I am the rare guy that doesn't care about any aspect of the IE Mod other than the UI itself.  I don't have any issues playing the game by it's normal mechanics and don't think the absence of a walking mode or npc selection circles is a really big deal.

Not the only one. I play with my own texture for background and original buttons' textures. I've released them on the Nexus too. I rarely need anything else from the IE mod, apart from slowing down slow mode even further probably, but that's something I can live without.

Unlike you I have a some criticisms of the PoE UI, for example on how viewing the properties of an item shows you the applied modifiers of the character in whose inventory the item is, and not of the character who is currently selected whose model is visible in the Inventory screen. That's often confusing.

Similarly, when viewing the properties of an item in the store, you have no way of seeing what its stats would be if used by character X in your party.

Edited by Gairnulf

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

• 4 weeks later...

Is there any news about this mod?

http://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity/mods/1

A way to make it work with 3.0-3.01 has been updated, but some crashes due to combat with certain enemies/animation/powers used.

The console still works from save/reload.

I use the blue circle for neutral, only one tooltip on at a time for tab mode, and fast sneak for individual line of sight. Also custom UI looks more subdued. What I really need is to move where the big PAUSE text is, to make the combat log reach that part. Trying to read the combat log with the big Pause on top of it, is horribad. So even though the middle can be removed, it doesn't improve the range of movement for the combat log window's resize. Except up.

Edited by Ymarsakar

I've been persevering with the latest IE Mod but yeah, some enemies just crash like hell, e.g. I had to lure the Black Meadow bandits to fight the trolls and leave them there forever. I expect this will get really annoying later on if it happens with some major encounters, but maybe by then it will be updated...

On my 8th playthrough I really appreciate superfastmode and XP tables.

• Like 1