Anyone heard a peep about the IE Mod?

The developer is MIA on the Nexus, so I thought I'd just throw up a thread asking if anyone's heard anything? Obviously, the current IE Mod is incompatible with 3.0, but I honestly consider the game largely unplayable without the IE Mod.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

From what I've read, it seems that at least half of the IE mod users only really want the "walking mode" from it, and possibly the "blue NPC selection circles".

Why doesn't Obsidian just implement those two features in a patch, as people have repeatedly requested?

They should be trivial to implement.

Walking mode is technically already implemented in the game (and is used during cut-scenes), so all they'd need to do is to provide a key-binding that allows players to toggle it on demand.

• Like 8

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

From what I've read, it seems that at least half of the IE mod users only really want the "walking mode" from it, and possibly the "blue NPC selection circles".

Why doesn't Obsidian just implement those two features in a patch, as people have repeatedly requested?

They should be trivial to implement.

Walking mode is technically already implemented in the game (and is used during cut-scenes), so all they'd need to do is to provide a key-binding that allows players to toggle it on demand.

I think a lot of people want a lot more than that, really. But I agree that it's odd that such basic thing aren't implemented in the base game - the decisions to not have neutral NPC selection circles and walking in the game stands out to me as real "but.. why?".

I had completely missed that the IE Mod now had working non-funky walking, though. To me, it's mostly about the UI, the added console functions, and increasing experience needed to level - the flat % way the IE Mod does it isn't perfect, but it's better. The fact that the IE Mod also fixes Dispositions for CNPC:s is also pretty neat. It's a bunch of small things, really.

But mostly it's the UI and neutral selection circles. The base UI has never improved (in fact, it seems to have gotten worse).

Edited by Luckmann
  • Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

Yeah these days I play on a 4k monitor and there are stand out obvious problems with the UI at 4k.  Also I really like that IE Mod UI, I wonder why.......?  So I am the rare guy that doesn't care about any aspect of the IE Mod other than the UI itself.  I don't have any issues playing the game by it's normal mechanics and don't think the absence of a walking mode or npc selection circles is a really big deal.

• Like 3

IEmod also allows you to turn off Autosave every time you enter or exit a building. That's a life saving feature honestly. Really speeds up gameplay.  Also Sneaking at full speed.

3.0 is playable without it, but I miss the minor changes like the above from IEMod a lot.

• Like 3

The last update to the mod was in the second half of January, so fairly recent. Hopefully mod maintainers also want to play the expansion and will be around soon to update it (though I expect the update itself to take a while, since 3.0 brought a number of changes to the table.)

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

In 3.0, save times have gotten pretty fast for me. Loading is still painfully slow though.

Saving was always fast for me, even on my old rig (pre-SSD). What was a life-saver to me was changing Autosave from triggering after entering a locale to before entering a locale. Really just... weird to have it any other way.

I'm getting the feeling that Obsidian depended a bit on the IE Mod and felt they didn't need to put some of the really basic stuff into the game, because modders were there to fix it for them, a painfully common trend among developers these days. But given that the IE Mod doesn't seem to be getting updated, with the current developer MIA and the older ones obviously disinterested, that probably wasn't wise.

t50aJUd.jpg

I think you're imagining that stuff you consider crucial or basic is also true for everybody. 

All I use IE mod for is the UI and XP scaling, but those are pretty big. Would love to see it updated.

I think if I ever give this game a go I'm definitely going to need this mod. Looking at the options menu brings up a few questions:

1) I thought the mod offered unlimited camping supplies option. Does it?

2) "Per encounter spells mod" changes all spells to per encounter? That would be awesome if so.

3) Is there a similar toggle for class/racial abilities?

4) Is there a way to increase the amount of per encounter uses?

I think you're imagining that stuff you consider crucial or basic is also true for everybody. 

All I use IE mod for is the UI and XP scaling, but those are pretty big. Would love to see it updated.

Not at all, but if we stuck to the stuff that'd be crucial to everybody at once and nothing else, it'd be a pretty bare-bones game. Quite the opposite, really, it's not that I would argue that these things are crucial overall, but just sorta basic, like they really should be there, crucial or not.

t50aJUd.jpg

You probably just need a god mode, dear old friend.  :*

Lol, maybe, but god made makes you invulnerable to damage, right? I'm not afraid to die or lose a battle, I just don't want to be bothered with all the PoE mechanics I don't like. Also, Id like a "un-cluster" toggle for the battles. :lol:

You probably just need a god mode, dear old friend.  :*

Lol, maybe, but god made makes you invulnerable to damage, right? I'm not afraid to die or lose a battle, I just don't want to be bothered with all the PoE mechanics I don't like. Also, Id like a "un-cluster" toggle for the battles. :lol:

Don't worry, with all those changes you listed, you'll basically be throwing an unlimited number of spells around every milisecond, so it's pretty hard to die anyway!

Anyway, from memory, IE does let you disable camping supplies, and to turn all per-rests into per-encs, but I don't think 3) and 4) are possible. Someone who's actually used those features may have more accurate information.

• Like 1

I would be interested as well, I will not even bother buying the whole expansion until I am sure I can play it with IEMod.

It is indeed a failure on Obsidian's part when there are people (I'm one of them) who will not buy their product unless a third party mod, which for the most part provides basic options/features/improvements that should be in the game anyways, is updated for it.

In other words, we shouldn't even need the IE Mod. What it does should already be in the game. Especially at this point.

• Like 2

Don't worry, with all those changes you listed, you'll basically be throwing an unlimited number of spells around every milisecond, so it's pretty hard to die anyway!

Anyway, from memory, IE does let you disable camping supplies, and to turn all per-rests into per-encs, but I don't think 3) and 4) are possible. Someone who's actually used those features may have more accurate information.

Hey there is story time mode now!  You won't have to worry about camping supplies cause the game is so easy you never need to rest anyway!

• Like 1

The first two are perfect and I can just rest to take care of the third. Works for me. :thumbsup:

I would be interested as well, I will not even bother buying the whole expansion until I am sure I can play it with IEMod.

It is indeed a failure on Obsidian's part when there are people (I'm one of them) who will not buy their product unless a third party mod, which for the most part provides basic options/features/improvements that should be in the game anyways, is updated for it.

In other words, we shouldn't even need the IE Mod. What it does should already be in the game. Especially at this point.

Many of the features you want IEmod for I do not want any where near the game.  It is simply not possible to satisfy every single person, hence the existence of mods.

• Like 3

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

My essentials from IE mod are...

1) Walk toggle... just because it looks cool and feels right. Sometimes. Mostly. :yes:

2) Additional game speeds... these are indispensable. The 'super fast' setting is great for zipping through areas that you've seen a dozen times. 'Extra slow' is a very nice alternative to repetitive pausing in combat. Sometimes I even notice animations and audio that otherwise fly by. In a perfect world, we'd have a slider for game speed.

3) Alternative autosaves... cuts down on save spam (with the frequency option) and speeds up area loading. Well, theoretically... load screens are still awful due purely to volume.

I also use the blue NPC circles, the tooltip limiter and a few other things. Been meaning to try the loot shuffler.

• Like 1

I hope the people who want the IE mod get it, but the idea that the game is unplayable without it is silly. Maybe to some people, but it seems like plenty of us are playing the game just fine without it. Some of the ideas aren't bad. I don't care about the walking, but the blue circle seems innocuous to me. A toggle for autosaves would probably be liveable if implemented, I guess. Other ideas don't seem bad, per se, but are unnecessary and a waste of resources. For example, I'm fine with the UI, so I don't want that implemented in the basic game. Not really because I couldn't live with a different UI, but because I'd rather resources go to other things. Many of the suggestions to alter the mechanics I don't want to see at all. I like the way the game plays right now. These things are always a contest and like the one guy said up above, you can't please everyone.

On the other hand, I think making extensive mods that let other people get the things they'd like don't sound unreasonable. If enough people really want features that are contrary to the essential design, surely someone will work on a mod for it. Isn't there some sort of modding forum or something around here? I don't think I've been in it, but I've seen it somewhere.

• Like 3

bother?

Many of the features you want IEmod for I do not want any where near the game.  It is simply not possible to satisfy every single person, hence the existence of mods.

What, and why?

t50aJUd.jpg

The actual features aside, the fact that a given mod is popular really doesn't mean a dev is obligated to put that mod in the game. (Heck, we'd have to figure out what's 'popular enough'. Do 10% of POE users use IE mod? More? Less?) IE mod isn't really fixing anything that is broken, it's a nice mod that we should appreciate the creators for, and if anything, push POE2 to become more moddable.

• Like 2

The actual features aside, the fact that a given mod is popular really doesn't mean a dev is obligated to put that mod in the game. (Heck, we'd have to figure out what's 'popular enough'. Do 10% of POE users use IE mod? More? Less?) IE mod isn't really fixing anything that is broken, it's a nice mod that we should appreciate the creators for, and if anything, push POE2 to become more moddable.

Devs aren't obligated to anything, but we're talking specifically about widely requested, basic functions; or at least most of us are. The amount of people using the IE Mod isn't really relevant to the discussion, except as something to point to as evidence that it can be implemented fairly easily.

There's really no excuse for the UI to still be locked into a horrible mockery of good taste, and there never really was an excuse for Neutral NPC:s not having their own selection circles, and there's still no excuse to not have an option for better experience pacing, or Favoured/Disfavoured bonuses not working for CNPC:s. Or not having a walk toggle, for that matter.

In some cases, the IEMod mucks about with core functions and assumptions, such as Per-Encounter Abilities and Resting Supplies and stuff like that. It's understandable that no such options would be included in the base game, for obvious reasons. But most of the stuff people want are either considered straight-up fixes - fixes which could be optional or not - or largely cosmetic issues or issues of pure usability. Basic stuff.

t50aJUd.jpg