Good Day All,

My favorite class in Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights and classic D&D has always been the Plate Wearing, Prayer Speaking, Warhammer to the face Cleric. I always enjoyed the play style of being able to get into the middle of things but be able to back off and heal when needed.

My question is this, can I make a viable priest build, can I wear plate in this game on a priest? Or should I play a paladin? 

Thanks for any help!

You can equip plate on a priest yes. I actually played a shield and mace wielding priest a while back and it worked just fine. Only problem with the priest going in to melee is the pretty awful defensive stats (very low endurance and low deflection). I used the Shod-In-Faith boots and Sanguine Plate because you're going to get critted anyway.

ps. Clerics rule and I always try to make a cleric type of build in everything. Got one going in Morrowind right now.

Edited by Francis Ironwood
  • Like 1

Good Day All,

My favorite class in Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights and classic D&D has always been the Plate Wearing, Prayer Speaking, Warhammer to the face Cleric. I always enjoyed the play style of being able to get into the middle of things but be able to back off and heal when needed.

My question is this, can I make a viable priest build, can I wear plate in this game on a priest? Or should I play a paladin? 

Thanks for any help!

You might like a paladin more, but that's totally viable although you might have to compromise on the warhammer. I'd suggest a priest of Eothas. Pump Resolve and have reasonable Constitution (for decent Deflection and hit points). Then take the Hope Eternal ability (+10 Accuracy with flails and morning stars), Weapon and Shield style, and, for extra tankiness, Cautious Attack when you get it, and give him the heaviest armour available. There's also a very nice flail you can get quite early, so keep an eye out for it.

You won't out-tank a paladin or out-damage a fighter, but you will be a relatively competent off-tank who also does a bit of damage, in addition to being a fantastic support caster of course.

If you want a more martial build, then yeah definitely go with a paladin. They have lots more active abilities than in D&D, including the best single-target heals and revives, some of the best single-target buffs, and really excellent auras. For extra badness build the paladin around Flames of Devotion and pick abilities which trigger when he defeats enemies, then use Flames of Devotion to finish off weakened ones.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Your deflection will not be that of a fighter, but later in the game it doesn't matter that much anymore and you still have your thick armor to protect you. Then you have all those fancy buffs that also work on yourself that can easily make up for the lack of endurance and deflection. When you hit lvl 9 you can choose which lvl1-spell will turn from per-rest-use to 1/encounter use on top of your normal spells (spell mastery). Same at lvl 11 and 13 and 15 (for spell levels 2, 3 and 4). You may choose spells that fit to your "armored" playstyle then, like Armor of Faith (+4 DR), Holy Power (+3 MIG, +7 RES - and therefore also deflection), Circle of Protection (+15 to all defenses) and Devotions for the Faithful (allies: +4 MIG, +20 ACC, foes: -10 MIG, -20 ACC). Then you can buff yourself every encounter and be a very good frontliner even without per rest spells that you can use like in D&D.

Shod-in-Faith boots, like Farncis said, are also great for such a priest. If you get a critical hit they emit the spell "Consecrated Ground" which heals you and alle friends around you. If used right it's one of the best items in the game - and it's perfect for a frontliner that doesn't have superduperhigh deflection but very thick armor (aka plate). Just make sure your MIG and INT are not too low because raising those stats makes Consecrated Ground really good.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods