Building Your Army for Battle of Yenwood

So what happens if Emery sides with you in the end? Is she actually worth it? Can you have her as a hireling at the keep or something?

Your final fight in Yenwood is a little less troublesome. Nothing more, the end.

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

ok. soo.. let's say that you  didn't get the expansion.  and that means 10k gone and only one allied side.  kinda unwieldy fight, no?  I can't get to twin elms because of the water.. (still act 2), and what of the party members that are just hanging out in the keep? was expecting to see them on the battlefield. other than the dissappointment that the 10k got ( yes, shows up in morale text, but... really? that's it?)  I guess I was expecting alot more troops. and was dissappointed that even though I sent the dozens after the battlemages, mages still showed up on the battlefield. needless to say, Got my ass handed to me hard at L7. Going to progress as I can and see what opens up. just disappointing if I am only going to get one set of allies because the game is coded that you need the three from expansion packs.

You don't need all the allies at all. It just help you to thin down the mob you will face when battling gathbin.

If you have no allies you'll face 30 ennemies or so. Depending on the level of your party you'll either have a really bad time or not.

If you can't manage it then maybe you need to level you characters before going in. Maybe your characters aren't well developed.

The dozens aren't cut for fighting the mages, if they fail, then the mages will show up.

And I'm sorry to tell you that, but there's nothing disapointing in the fact that the game doesn't allow you to have everything so you can have an easy battle. If you didn't bought the expansion then it's on you, not the game. Plus, there's no time limite as for when you want to launch the battle, so, level your characters, and come back later. Or buy the expansions and come back later.

• Like 1

If you have no allies you'll face 30 ennemies or so. Depending on the level of your party you'll either have a really bad time or not.

If you can't manage it then maybe you need to level you characters before going in. Maybe your characters aren't well developed.

And I'm sorry to tell you that, but there's nothing disapointing in the fact that the game doesn't allow you to have everything so you can have an easy battle. If you didn't bought the expansion then it's on you, not the game. Plus, there's no time limite as for when you want to launch the battle, so, level your characters, and come back later. Or buy the expansions and come back later.

yes, clearly level 7 was a bit on the low/undoable side. but that was me having gotten it in act 2, wanting to finish it in act 2.

And I'm sorry, but wasn't that last statement a bit on the douchey side? 

unless the battle for caed nua was added in after the expansions were released, then why would i expect that balancing it would depend on allies from an expansion set that clearly is not owned to make it reasonable?  From everything I have read about it, I am disappointed with the nature of the encounter and how it was constructed. 

who said anything about having an easy battle?  I merely stated some things I was expecting, like all the party members sitting around at the castle to be on the battlefield, not just the current active party.  If the text was to be believed, the dozens won handily (guns vs mages), and yet there were still a clump of mages there.  I also expected to have some control over the base units to perform basic maneuvers.

Still, thank you for taking the time to reply.  

• Like 1

And I'm sorry, but wasn't that last statement a bit on the douchey side? 

unless the battle for caed nua was added in after the expansions were released  

I don't disagree that Nyhilla's statement was unnecessarily combative, but just to clarify the Battle of Caed Nua was added at the same time as White March 2.

If it was added with the second expansion, then it should actually require the second expansion to happen.

Otherwise it's basically saying "Hey, you wanna win this fight without unreasonably minmaxxing/idiotically delaying something that should logically result in your being attacked anyway? Buy our expansion packs!"

Well, that's pretty crappy; especially if all of your companions don't actually bother to turn up.

• Like 1

And anyway the Battle is soloable from lvl 10 also without any kind of allies, and at the same time is 100% optional, so i really don't understand your complaints.

They were Just kind enough to add a quest meant to be played with the expansion for free to the base game.

• Like 1

And anyway the Battle is soloable from lvl 10 also without any kind of allies, and at the same time is 100% optional, so i really don't understand your complaints.

They were Just kind enough to add a quest meant to be played with the expansion for free to the base game.

Well, from a narrative point of view the quest is written with some urgency. Once Lord Whatshisname declares his intention to attack it feels pretty unnatural for the player to be able to wait for as long as they want before dealing with the battle.

That said, you could probably finish off Act II before this happens (or be close) so level 10 probably isn't that far off.

• 5 months later...

Loved this battle. But actually, on normal difficulty it is already doable at level 6 without any special allies. At least, I did yesterday. I had my 8 castle guards though, but nothing fancy there.

Just use crowd managing spells and kill the lordling first.

My party:

Me (Fighter/melee using stances for tanking)

Eder (Fighter/melee using stances for tanking)

Aloth (Wizard/ranged unique soulbound scepter after spamming confusion)

Durance (Priest/ranged using all buffing spells for fighters; started buffing my npc army)

Kana (Chanter/ranged spamming wyrms)

Grieving Mother (Cipher/ranged spamming silent scream, pain block and that domination spell)

Especially Silent Scream rocked for taking out those huddled groups of enemies as I learned late in the battle. I only had Aloth ko-ed, which I guess could have been avoided if I had learned about the effectiveness of that cipher power sooner.

Same for the Eternal Paths... I see people complaining on Reddit they cannot fight the Drake at level 6.... I am on the 7th layer of the paths and was doing fine at level 7. Just use hit and run tactics and buffs, guys...

Edited by Flozem