Building Your Army for Battle of Yenwood

Anyone figure out all the armies you can recruit to help you?

Other than hirelings (not all of which showed), I got Veteran soldiers (pay 10k), Crucible Knights (presumably from siding with them in Act II) and Crag Ogres. You can also convince the Lord's captain to betray him in the previous part of the quest.

Didn't immediately see any ways to recruit others though.

There's a quest involving the Bleak Walkers where you can let the paladins go and they say they'll help in the future, but apart from adding a new hireling (I think) this didn't get the larger contingent of them in my army.

The lord had mages, rautai berserkers, and bleak walkers helping him. No idea if there's any way to convince them to back off.

• Like 1

You can also get the Iron Flail from WM pt II to help you.

I am wondering if actually having these helpers has any gameplay effect though. Can you actually lose the battle of yenwood? Does not having helpers simply make the battle against the lord harder?

Btw, anyone managed to convince captain Emery to switch sides? I resolved the encounter in Charred barrel peacefully and felt she could join me, before or at least after the battle, but no, I had to slaughter her entire posse after defeating the main force (I recruited no one for the battle and was rewarded with a hard, intriguing fight) in order to leave combat mode and continue.

Hm, I suspect I found a glitch then, because after the encounter in the Charred Barrel, her posse remained there, oddly unresponsive. I am not sure if they left and reappeared when I reentered (in which case one should not reenter in order to prevent the quest from breaking), or never left. Coincidentally, after the battle, I came back to Charred Barrel and they are still there, unaware that they got killed in that battle.

• 2 weeks later...

The battle: easiest encounter in the game. Sounded hard in the narration, but the red circles just stood there, did nothing, my guys wiped them out without a scratch. Not scripted well?

I think it depends on how many allies you recruited beforehand. In my case I got all possible allies and full mercenary set + elites. All melees engaged each other, then I only had to kill the archers and the main boss, because Emery was on my side.

I haven't tried this, but doesn't making peace with Iron Flail just for this easy battle give you a not so good ending slide? Something about impoverished Readcerans piling on the border of the White March and causing all sorts of trouble for generations to come.

The most notable weirdness as far as I'm concerned is that if you cooperate with the Adra Dragon at the bottom of Caed Nua, it keeps mentioning how you've gotten an ally and that's why you did it and so on and so forth.

But nothing comes of it, not even at the Battle of Yenwood. Odd as all hell, honestly. I was totally expecting her to be counted as a special ally.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

^ In a similar vein, I was hoping you could ask the dragon huntress for help against the other dragons if you warned her and fought the adra dragon instead. Would have been a nice touch of reactivity.

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

What lvl is optimal for doing this quest? I paid the 10K and I will have the Crucible knights on my side. Anything else? I am lvl 13. 

If you've gone to the White March and resolved Stalwart's Ogre problem peacefully, the Ogre clan will be an ally of yours as well.

You can also get Captain Emory (the bad guy's personal guard) and her people on your side at Yenwood as well.

What lvl is optimal for doing this quest? I paid the 10K and I will have the Crucible knights on my side. Anything else? I am lvl 13.

Someone posted that you can get

the other watcher's army

from the second part of White March as one of the options, but I solved this quest before that so I couldn't try it.

Someone posted that you can get

the other watcher's army

from the second part of White March as one of the options, but I solved this quest before that so I couldn't try it.

That is correct. The Iron Flails will send archers to help you in battle

She turned against her employer during the last battle in my last game. Solved the encounter in the Charred Barrel with the benevolent choice, not sure if something else was required to convince her.

Likely another requirement. The wiki said you need benevolance of 3 but I have 4 and it did not work. She just said the gamble is too high still and left. This is on a new game. Tried it on my older save game where I did most of the main game stuff and it still did not work at benevolance 4. I don't know that the trigger is. Even bribing her just makes her not attack me and she still fights on his side.

Edited by Dinky Dino

She turned against her employer during the last battle in my last game. Solved the encounter in the Charred Barrel with the benevolent choice, not sure if something else was required to convince her.

Likely another requirement. The wiki said you need benevolance of 3 but I have 4 and it did not work. She just said the gamble is too high still and left. This is on a new game. Tried it on my older save game where I did most of the main game stuff and it still did not work at benevolance 4. I don't know that the trigger is. Even bribing her just makes her not attack me and she still fights on his side.

confirmed.  there is a bug where in some games, no matter how you resolve the initial conflict in the pub with Emery, when you leave the pub and go back in, you will see her group just standing there, and not interactable.

if that happens, I think it does not trigger the correct result for the battle.

that's where I'm at too. 

think this bug has been previously reported and is being acted on, but not sure.

I think I figured out the main condition for Emery to side with you. You need to be winning the battle, that means she will join you if you have two or more allies (plus the hired veterans) to throw at the enemy special groups before going into the last fight.

Edited by srlapo
  • Like 4

Also seems like different allies are more or less effective against different enemies, dunno if it actually changes the result or is just fluff though. From the description of how the battle goes I think you'd want to send: ogres against mages, crucible knights against berserkers and archers against the knights.

Also seems like different allies are more or less effective against different enemies, dunno if it actually changes the result or is just fluff though. From the description of how the battle goes I think you'd want to send: ogres against mages, crucible knights against berserkers and archers against the knights.

Arquebusiers against mages is good as well.

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

I think I figured out the main condition for Emery to side with you. You need to be winning the battle, that means she will join you if you have two or more allies (plus the hired veterans) to throw at the enemy special groups before going into the last fight.

It would be great if she would also side with you, if she is the last one standing...