Third Expansion

Don't understand all the people asking for a new character. We haven't had a high level RPG since Mask of the Betrayer, folks! It's a challenge that needs to be taken on.

Exactly.

Also, PoE had the goal to evoke the BG1 feeling with a somewhat low-level adventure in which you can die even against simple animals at the start. I don't think they want to do that again with a sequel, in fact Josh already said he'd like to explore more weird locations in Eternity 2.

• Like 1

Yeah I'm torn between a high level campaign for PoE2 and starting fresh. On the one hand it's great to feel like a demi-god laying waste to the impetuous masses that dare to stand against you. On the other hand, there's nothing quite like that feeling of getting your first "Dagger +1" or finally hitting level 5 to unlock Fireball... oh fireball, how I have missed you!

• Like 2

Yeah I'm torn between a high level campaign for PoE2 and starting fresh. On the one hand it's great to feel like a demi-god laying waste to the impetuous masses that dare to stand against you. On the other hand, there's nothing quite like that feeling of getting your first "Dagger +1" or finally hitting level 5 to unlock Fireball... oh fireball, how I have missed you!

Ahhh fireball... How beautiful are you...

Like a bunch of folks have said up above, I just find it difficult to see how the Watcher, having faced kith, beast, and gods, defeated dragons and discovered what is clearly the most shocking secret in all the land can then go on to do... what?  I'm happy for Obsidz to pull it off, but I just think they should have paced the original better if that were their intention.  Forget the expansion, the Watcher did all of the things I listed above in the first game.  I like the idea of hanging out as the Watcher and drinking some ale with Eder, maybe some wine with Aloth.  I wouldn't even mind stepping in between Durance and a few red-necks in order to save the jackass from a beatdown.  Still, I think a new game based on a new character, even if that character starts at mid level (yuck!) would be better than playing the same character again.  Well, whatever they do is fine by me.  Provide a good game, and all conjecture is not only obsolete, it's also forgotten.

• Like 1

bother?

Don't understand all the people asking for a new character. We haven't had a high level RPG since Mask of the Betrayer, folks! It's a challenge that needs to be taken on.

I will say that the end of of PE was far more appropriate for an Epic campaign than a low level one.  I think you should have just beaten up Thaos and ended his plans for animancy.  Even though I love that part of the game, they probably should have saved Sun in Shadow for another game and done more wilderness exploring in this one.

• Like 1

Early on George Ziets said they might save the *~Big Revelations~* for a future game.  The decision to have them at the end of this one was probably due to not being sure if they'd sell enough for a sequel; if you're only getting one shot you might as well aim high for the climax!  Hopefully Obsidian have some Thoughtz on how to continue the story from there.

• Like 1

Gameplay wise, yes that's true to an extent.  Mask of the Betrayer was an expansion pack however, calling it a full game is a real stretch because they made Betrayer with the assumption that the low level play had already been done in the previous expansions

Narrative wise, not really.  Every single Bioware RPG feels like a high level campaign, ditto most of the others curving into a high end, fans demand it and the studios feel obliged to deliver it.  

The need to reset to a new character is driven by this, if they don't, there's little to no way to create any sort of suspense after the end of WM2 and PoE1.  It's almost guaranteed there WILL be a new character.  

Also, Fallout 4.5 hasn't been unconfirmed yet.  If Zenimax gave Obsidian the contract, which seems pretty likely all things considered, forget the past they upgraded the amount of Fallout 4 DLC on the basis of Call of Duty tier sales and money talks, then PoE2 is going to be a while.  Studio turnover will potentially happen etc, World of Armored Company of Honor Tanks or w/e it's called could be a raging success and absorb most of the studio's resources.  

I think it is good time to set sails to another story. I am a bit tired of Thaos.

Set sails indeed.... off to the islands of Rautaui! :D

And your stronghold being.... a Ship! (Don't remember who suggested this but it was someone on this forum)

EDIT: As for a Pillars of Eternity 2 High-Level Campaign (Some brainstorming):

A) Continue with the "Watcher", now a Duke or Lord with troops and soldiers under his/her command. Hire low-level and mid-level adventurers to conquer the world. A Jagged Alliance, Battle Brothers, XCOM, Real time or Turn Based RPG hybrid. That could accomodate both the feeling of "The Watcher is really powerful now" and getting the Low-Level and Mid-Level campaign. Basically a Low-Level AND High-Level Campaign in one game.

Face an army with your army, and defeat the leader of that army with the Watcher in a duel. Hmm.... that... that might just work.

1) You are a Pirate Lord, Captain of the Ship.

2) Your hirelings, adventurers, and companions, destroying the enemy opposition...

3) ... and you dueling against the enemy captain in the end.

Your hirelings could scout islands (under your control), search for treasure and such, and when they encounter a big enough encounter, your character steps in to deal with it. I could see it working a little bit like the Stronghold missions, press a button to send scouts or patrols to various locations, and after X amount of in-game time you get a notification "We found something!" and then you get to control your High-Level group to deal with it (and skip all the thrash mobs along the way, go straight to the encounter/event).

B) Play as an entirely new character.... or even a Dual- or Twin-Campaign~ basically, either "Start New Game" as a new character, with new beginnings, having his/her own adventures going from Point B to Point A, or continue with a Watcher character who is going the typical Point A to Point B. This solution would give Players who want a new character, a new character, and it'd also give Players who want to continue with the Watcher, to continue.

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 2

Yeah, I remember the ship idea and I likes it!  I really don't know which one I'd rather see, a new Obsidian Fallout or the next Pillars.  There's no comparison between New Vegas and Pillars.  Pillars is great, but New Vegas is top tier premier game design.  However, I think I'm more interested in seeing what they can do with the Pillars universe. There must be some wends and winds and tortuous trails in order for us in Pillars 2, and that appeals to me.  By the monstrous souls of the Engwithan gods, it appeals to me!

bother?

It could honestly continue with the same watcher just not in the way that involves starting a bit after we left off... Some new poor sod could awaken as the watcher. Unravel the mystery on how the watcher died ect ect

This could be pretty cool, make it multiple choice flashbacks like the "inquisitor" story in POE1. Your character's race and class could be imported, if you don't import they could randomise them, flashbacks take you on the Watcher's journey post-Thaos and end in a death you have to avenge, or at least finish whatever the Watcher started.

*shrug*  I don't know what's guaranteed.  I'm not a member of the press myself.  That still doesn't change the fact that the pacing is ill advised for continuing the Watcher story.  I would rather they start fresh, but I'm not going to get bunched if they don't.  Either way, I would argue that the best way to approach the first game wouldn't have been to have the story culminate in the manner it did.  On the other hand, and I'm all about the other hand, keeping the story with the Watcher does lead me to think they really will take a few more chances on the sequel.  Maybe they really will turn the story and setting on its head.  That will make it much more interesting.

bother?

I think it is good time to set sails to another story. I am a bit tired of Thaos.

Set sails indeed.... off to the islands of Rautaui! :D

And your stronghold being.... a Ship! (Don't remember who suggested this but it was someone on this forum)

EDIT: As for a Pillars of Eternity 2 High-Level Campaign (Some brainstorming):

A) Continue with the "Watcher", now a Duke or Lord with troops and soldiers under his/her command. Hire low-level and mid-level adventurers to conquer the world. A Jagged Alliance, Battle Brothers, XCOM, Real time or Turn Based RPG hybrid. That could accomodate both the feeling of "The Watcher is really powerful now" and getting the Low-Level and Mid-Level campaign. Basically a Low-Level AND High-Level Campaign in one game.

Face an army with your army, and defeat the leader of that army with the Watcher in a duel. Hmm.... that... that might just work.

1) You are a Pirate Lord, Captain of the Ship.

2) Your hirelings, adventurers, and companions, destroying the enemy opposition...

3) ... and you dueling against the enemy captain in the end.

Your hirelings could scout islands (under your control), search for treasure and such, and when they encounter a big enough encounter, your character steps in to deal with it. I could see it working a little bit like the Stronghold missions, press a button to send scouts or patrols to various locations, and after X amount of in-game time you get a notification "We found something!" and then you get to control your High-Level group to deal with it (and skip all the thrash mobs along the way, go straight to the encounter/event).

B) Play as an entirely new character.... or even a Dual- or Twin-Campaign~ basically, either "Start New Game" as a new character, with new beginnings, having his/her own adventures going from Point B to Point A, or continue with a Watcher character who is going the typical Point A to Point B. This solution would give Players who want a new character, a new character, and it'd also give Players who want to continue with the Watcher, to continue.

This sounds not like the game, I want PoE 2 to be. Not in the slightest. I hope, nothing of this will come true. Keep it oldschool. Also, there is the Risen-Franchise for those, who can't get enough of Pirates of the Carribean in their CRPG.

Edited by Eisenheinrich
  • Like 4

It could honestly continue with the same watcher just not in the way that involves starting a bit after we left off... Some new poor sod could awaken as the watcher. Unravel the mystery on how the watcher died ect ect

I kind of like this, it would let you import your character (something I have an inordinate fondness for) without causing the problems of starting the second game at level 16 and wondering why suddenly every group of roaming bandits includes wizards as powerfull as Concelhaut and Llengrath.

Edited by limaxophobiacq

It's almost guaranteed there WILL be a new character.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/83339-poe-2/page-2?do=findComment&comment=1756141

There's a million ways to do save imports. Dragon Age's method for one instantly springs to mind where they absolutely rolled a new character so that narratively you wouldn't be a superhero right off the bat.  Now THAT I can see as being super likely, references to player choices like Act 2, the Mega-Dungeon boss and the ending.  Doesn't indicate a Throne of Bhaal high powered setup at all.  

He could also be hinting they're throwing the idea of setting up a multi-game trilogy with PoE2, where PoE2 is game 1 and PoE2.5 and/or PoE3 build from that into a Throne of B setup.  Your Aedyran protagonist gets to play a high level game in the Deadfire Archipelago or w/e  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Save importing characters directly would make less sense if they do fix one of the bigger things they've said they've regretted, the attributes, which involves going to a 5 attribute setup.  

I think THAT is a far bigger reason against save importing, even if narratively they're super fine with putting the Watcher on the boat to the Aedyran empire, you're prolly going to roll through character creation all over again because Josh is 100% going to go to a 5 attribute system after what has happened.  Sensuki was defo raging about that back in the day before he rq over engagement.  

Basically all these decisions were probably decided between Josh/Fergus months ago if they didn't get the Fallout 4.5 contract and decided to switch the PoE team straight into producing another Pillars game, so it's all up in the air.  

In short, someone needs to go decrypt the Somethingawful password database, extract Ropekid's stuff, hack his emails so we can get the juicy goodbits on how notworldoftanks is going and how much of the Pillars of Eternity money is being spent funding console games

I want an ambitious Baldur's Gate 2 successor, and so should you. Let the professionals worry about the narrative stuff.

I want it to be more in the vein of "Eye of the Beholder". Make it POV and fully set in a dungeon.

idk about you (actually I lied 100% know, anyways) but chugging through the Endless Paths was the worst part of my playthrough tbh. Like the individual levels were reasonably well made, but I just wasn't up for that much dungeoneering even though they hung plenty of narrative, I'm not a big fan of Diablo.

More fun when you actually come up for air more frequently than Endless Paths.

Edited by Urthor

Save importing characters directly would make less sense if they do fix one of the bigger things they've said they've regretted, the attributes, which involves going to a 5 attribute setup.  

I think THAT is a far bigger reason against save importing, even if narratively they're super fine with putting the Watcher on the boat to the Aedyran empire, you're prolly going to roll through character creation all over again because Josh is 100% going to go to a 5 attribute system after what has happened.  Sensuki was defo raging about that back in the day before he rq over engagement.  

I think you're taking some of the stuff you've seen seen on Something Awful a little too seriously. The attribute system isn't a disaster by any means and I haven't seen any hint that Josh is thinking about overhauling it to that degree. Other stuff, yes - resting, the Interrupt mechanic, maybe skills. Attributes? Nah. That Sensuki stuff is old news and ended up being basically a non-issue.

Edited by Infinitron
  • Like 1

There's no way on god's green earth you can call it a disaster.  Obsidian's changes to the AD&D formula with Might and Intellect is rolled gold game design, only butthurt Codex grognards wouldn't give them credit for it.  Tabletop mumblers might get away with saying they did it first though.

On release people, and not just on SA, were definitely buttmad about perception/reflex before the change though.  Tanks had to target 3 different stats just for defence, DPS got to pick 2 out of might/dexterity/intellect to max and had points to share with the rest.  

If they keep the attribute setup identical in a future game, whether it's released in a 3 year cycle on the same tech or 5-6 years, I'll print out the game script and blend it into my cereal.  

Edited by Urthor

I want an ambitious Baldur's Gate 2 successor, and so should you. Let the professionals worry about the narrative stuff.

SOA started at level 8 or so though, and ended right before you got 9th level spells, which is a lot closer to where PoE ends than BG1 is, and people complained about Throne of Bhaal for the over the top epicness of it all.

I really don't understand how people can call PoE a low level campaign when, by the end, you're killing dragons, very high level wizards and thwarting powerful secret societies. Sure, it starts off at low level, but I'd say the majority of the game covers Shadows of Amn level territory rather than Baldur's Gate level territory.

As for epic level stuff, I prefer that to come in expansions because if I don't enjoy it I really don't enjoy it. I don't want to wait a couple of years for PoE2 and then get an epic level campaign that I don't enjoy. Ideally PoE2 will start a new story, reach higher levels in the main campaign, then have an epic level DLC that happens strictly after the main campaign in the style of Throne of Bhaal (thus bypassing wonky difficulty problems).

• Like 1

SOA started at level 8 or so though, and ended right before you got 9th level spells, which is a lot closer to where PoE ends than BG1 is, and people complained about Throne of Bhaal for the over the top epicness of it all.

We've already talked about this, haven't we? http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/83339-poe-2/?p=1756174

Edited by Infinitron