Third Expansion

Hi there Watchers and Developers.

I'm gonna keep this short. Is there any information for going longer with this game? Anyone know anything about some plans for continuing the story in any way after WM II? Can't find any info about that anywhere so I'm just asking. I would love to get more from Obsidian.

Thanks for the replies.
Matthew 

Hello, Matthew! From what I've gathered, TWM pt II will put an end to Pillars of Eternity's story. Let's hope for a second chapter to be developed soon! ;)

Yeap.  There are no current plans for any more Eternity 1 DLC.  But you would have to be crazy to believe they are not at work on Eternity 2.

I don't think it's sad to end after the second expansion. I would much rather they make a sequel. Moreover, I hope they take chances. Do something crazy with the Watcher. Maybe even not have the Watcher in the sequel. Maybe have the 'true' gods come back and set things straight or have it turn out that not only are the gods unreal but that souls themselves are actually not really 'souls' per se, or even that souls are the only things that exist and all of the world is the imaginings of the souls, maybe even a few souls. I'm not putting these out as suggestions so much as just the sorts of crazy ideas that couldn't be adequately addressed in a mere expansion. Broaden out the world in a story worthy of a sequel and sequel that justifies the story.

• Like 3

bother?

Hear hear! Pillars of Eternity is the best CRPG since Baldurs gate 1/2, both of which are my favourite games and have been since my late teens.

Well done Obsidian / Josh for bringing back some of my childhood and restoring my faith that there are some developers out there that truly understand what gamers such as myself look for in a game and not pandering to AAA console masses by sticking true to their beliefs.

Hats off Obsidian, well done! If I could throw money at the screen to kickstart PotE2 I would do so with shameless abandon!

• Like 6

I definitely want to see a PoE 2, but I don't think the Watcher from PoE 1 would make the best PC for a sequel. At level 16 with the end of the White March pt.2 they are incredibly powerful, it's kind of the same problem that Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal had, the player is simply so powerful that it becomes ridiculous how it tries to challenge you. I mean you fight the army of Tethyr and every single one of the soldiers carry +3 weapons and armor just to be able to challenge you. They would kind of have to "power down" the PC to do another game with him/her, and I would feel cheated if my character lost half his levels. Also, you are privy to some pretty fundamental secrets at the end of PoE, which might complicate things somewhat in a sequel.

• Like 1

For what it's worth, I would also like to add that Pillars of Eternity is the best CRPG since Baldur's Gate 2. In fact, given the extremely high quality of the expansions, I'm halfway of a mind to state that it's equally as good. It truly is a modern classic, and I too will be more than happy to back PoE 2 when it is announced on kickstarter.

• Like 3

It's perhaps unrealistic, but I really hope the watcher makes a return. Both with the same levels and a powercurve that somehow makes sense.

One of my favourite things from the Baldur's Gate games was taking my character on the huge and memorable journey from level 1 to 40,

• Like 4

It's perhaps unrealistic, but I really hope the watcher makes a return. Both with the same levels and a powercurve that somehow makes sense.

One of my favourite things from the Baldur's Gate games was taking my character on the huge and memorable journey from level 1 to 40,

I would also like to add here that this isn't D&D, level 16 doesn't necessarily have to be "high level" in the world of Eternity it could be 20 is a "middle" level if Obsidian designs it right.

• Like 2

If level 16 isn't high level, then how come you can defeat every single inhabitant of the Dyrwood, including dragons and legendary arch mages whom spells are named after?

How come even a level 12 tank can walk right into a flock of a dozen hungry lions, be jumped by all of them at once, and not have a scratch on him?

Let's face it, when you compare how you can actually affect the world around you, Pillars levels 12-16 are more comparable to BG2:ToB than BG1.

• Like 2

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

I think they should make it that the entire game universe is the imaginings of the a group of crazy creator-souls and the PC realizes this and is trying to influence the creator-souls to his own ends. hehehehe I just think it would be funny to have the PC as literally the figment of an imagination attempt to take over the story. Not a serious idea, of course, but I think it's something that could include humor with a bit more felicity than the storyline in Pillars. I liked the story quite a bit, but it was grim through and through. The humor was entirely incidental, such as Eder's love of petting cats, dogs, foxes, wild Stelgar, and his kith companions. That was funny stuff, but the next game needs to give the Ederesque character a break and have more humor that can be applied to the story itself rather than shouldered by a sympathetic NPC. I don't want the game to be a comedy, and I know some folks don't like campy, but certain storylines lend themselves more naturally to levity at certain points. All that said, I enjoy the Pillars story and pacing quite a bit and I would be okay seeing the same thing. I still hope they push the envelope, but I'm too easygoing to get riled over it.

• Like 1

bother?

Yeah, at the moment level 16 seems to be pretty damn high level. I'd say it's at least on a par with late game SoA.

Personally I'd prefer not to see another expansion. What I want Obsidian to do is make a really good PoE2 and not to feel constrained to re-use the current levelling schemes. Since the ruleset is their own, there's no reason why they can't modify it, spread the levels out a little, add and remove abilities and generally improve upon it for the next game.

Also I'd prefer not to see the return of the Watcher. His story comes to a natural end in PoE, let's introduce a new protagonist with a new story. I wouldn't be opposed to some of the companions appearing if it fits.

• Like 2

Just to clarify - "CRPG" stands for Computer Role Playing Game. :)

Not true. CRPG stands for Club of Refined and Prestigious Gentlemen.

• Like 17

"Each event is preceded by Prophecy. But without the hero, there is no Event."

-Zurin Arctus, the Underking

I'd rather espect a PoE 2 Kickstarter in the near future.

I'd back that. All the same, surely they don't have to use a kickstarter again? After the success of POE, someone should be willing to fund them...

Yes, someone is: their fans. It worked out pretty well the first time. ;)

It's really a matter of weighting the pros and cons of each funding method. How much money do they need for a sequel? Do they even want a traditional publisher? What other avenues might be worth exploring? I wouldn't automatically rule out crowdfunding just because they have other options now - it's not reserved only for start-ups and desperate people, you know.

I think the most part of the community wants PoE 2 instead of a third expansion :no:

I'd like to play PoE2, a new adventure in the Vaillian Republics region with a fresh low level character instead of playing PoE2 with "the Watcher".

Devs could make a poll and see what players want for the future

Edited by juanval
  • Like 2

I'd like to play PoE2, a new adventure in the Vaillian Republics region with a fresh low level character instead of playing PoE2 with "the Watcher".

I'd like that too. I generally prefer new adventures with new characters (maybe with a few cameos of old favorites if possible) unless the games are designed as one continuous story from the start. I'm not terribly attached to my Watchers.

I'd rather espect a PoE 2 Kickstarter in the near future.

I'd back that. All the same, surely they don't have to use a kickstarter again? After the success of POE, someone should be willing to fund them...

I think KS will always be the choice No.1 since it ensures the IP remains with Obsidian. I'm just wondering how a campaign will end without the MCA joker (i'd rather have him make a game on his own than providing content for other projects).

I don't think they'd *need* to crowdfund a sequel, but they may crowdfund stretch goals similarly to what Larian did with D:OS 2. This would give them a much bigger leeway to develop features, add reactivity, polish, etc.

I would definitely back a sequel anyway.

• Like 3

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus