New to Pillars, Looking for good 3.0 char build

Just got game on sale, not new to d and d game, beat baldur's gate 6 cds with sword coast

Understand game mechanic mostly(not focus), wanted to know a good char build for 3.0 and a quick rundown

Love playing rpg on the hardest settings so i would like to attempt it in this game, not iron man though

Preferences in terms of play style?

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

i like to play ranged caster with lots of abilities(aoe and cc) but i was reading and worried wizards late game are very strong

and i didnt cipher are still good in 3.0

also read melee tank wizards might be good

if u have recommendation would help if u could give me the base stats i should in char creation 

thanks for the help

^ maybe I'm misunderstanding - it's a problem for you that Wizards become really powerful in the late game?

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

It's basically wizards have more spell variety and flexibility and can cast immediately as battle starts and keep casting while ciphers have less choice in spell selection but can cast lots of high level 5-6 level spells late game as don't have a per rest limit, of anything should survive that long late game anyways, but at a slight action delay. Both work well. For most difficult battles you probably want a cipher and a per rest / immediate caster in the party anyways.

Ciphers are unique also in that they have strong dominate spells which the other casters don't. The other casters have however more powerful hard cc options.

The highest level powers at lvl8 seem to be best on cipher atm, but again you probably won't be casting those immediately and if you do maybe once or twice in a battle.

Edited by ottffsse

Wizards are strong only if you don't mind resting after each fight, which I consider a real chore, especially in PoTD... Paladins pc are bugged for the moment and I don't recommend them...

What's wrong with paladins? I just recommended a paladin to my wife for a normal difficulty playthrough with story focus (high int&res).

Wizards are strong only if you don't mind resting after each fight, which I consider a real chore, especially in PoTD... Paladins pc are bugged for the moment and I don't recommend them... 

Really, what is the problem?

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

What's wrong with paladins? I just recommended a paladin to my wife for a normal difficulty playthrough with story focus (high int&res).

Faith and Conviction isn't affected by your disposition anymore, so you're stuck with the toned down version of the npc which scales with level and caps at lvl5. It's already on the bug list and they hope to fix it next patch... Another annoying bug is with St.Ydwen Redeemer which now procs now Divine Mark on yourself too (not sure if it's the case also with the other classes who can activate it) - a workaround is to use it unbinded just to destroy vessels...