Too fast leveling ?

hello to all brave adventurers . I intend to start the game with six adventurers in path of the damned . I used IE mod to lower the experience gained. I like to do all the quests. But I'm afraid to get to level 16 before the end of the game. Should I wait until the last version of the mod or can I play without . I like everything and take my time. A big thank you for your advice and I'm sorry for my English.  

I have a similar concern, and I posted a question about the IE mod in the character builds forum. But then I also figured out a way to nerf xp just using the console (google how to do that, if you don't know how). It will disable achievements for the game if you do so, though. Check out post #3 on this thread:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/84320-ie-mod-and-30/

I used a hex editor to increase the required experience per level by 25%, which doesn't disable achievements.

This old info is still valid: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/76717-how-to-change-experience-per-level-requirement/. However, in my game, it's the first two instances of F4 01 00 00 that control experience per level. Just open the Assembly-CSharp.dll in a hex editor and change the first two instances of F4 01 00 00 to the multiplier you want (they should match!) and you're set - really easy to do, I did it in a minute or so.

Edit: In case you're curious, you can change the above hex to 58 02 00 00 for 20% increased exp required, 71 02 00 00 for 25% increased exp required, or EE 02 00 00 for 50% increased exp required. You can convert the hex to the correct multiplier for other values using a site such as: http://www.scadacore.com/field-applications/programming-calculators/online-hex-converter

Edited by mychal26
  • Like 4

I personally used 9B 02 00 00 value, which is a 33.3% increase.

I've read most of the topics concerning this subject and most agree that 25% is too little, but going 50% means you wont get to high levels by the time they actually matter, that is not untill the very end of the game. So in the end i decided to go with 33.3%. I will report my experience in a week or two. 

• Like 1

Thank you Michael but I did not succeed . Can you give us a file "Assembly-CSharp.dll" with 50% increased exp required .  A big thank you .

I'm not sure if we can distribute the dll files (I guess this post will be removed if we can't). But I've placed a 25%, 33%, and 50% increase dll into the linked zip folder. Simply copy the desired Assembly-CSharp.dll into your ...\Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\Managed folder. Note that I haven't tested these dll's, but they should work (a good idea to make a backup first). Also, I can't guarantee they will work with non-Windows and non-Steam versions. Lastly, I've been playing in offline mode on Steam since last Tuesday to ensure there are no changes (i.e. patches) while I play, so if there has been an update to the game since then these dll's probably won't work.

http://www.filedropper.com/poeexpincrease

Edited by mychal26
  • Like 1

Has anyone finished the game with this change in experience? Can you still reach the maximum level?

It's pretty easy to, up to 50%, but my memory is fuzzy. Definitely 25% isn't a big deal for completionists.

• Like 1

Has anyone finished the game with this change in experience? Can you still reach the maximum level?

I haven't played the expansions, but if the main game is any indication (and I see no reason why it wouldn't be), you could probably cut XP by upwards 50% and still easily reach the level cap. Before the expansions, you capped out at about 2/3 through the game, and they only add 4 more levels - you could probably have capped out those 4 new levels without the expansion content, really.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

Here is a quote from another topic. Played without expansions.

I've been using the +50% aspect of IE mod now for my last three playthroughs, and it doesn't quite feel right.  I like how I'm no longer going to be level 12 right as I hit Act 3 as long as I'm doing every available quest, along with some Endless Path levels, but I don't like how I hit level 12 right as the game is ending.  It also makes classes that greatly benefit from levels 9 and 11 (which is the biggest boon, not level 12) comparatively weaker for a longer than needed period.  Honestly, 35% - 40% would be closer to the mark IMO.
  • Like 1

I'm honestly not a big fan of the blanket +/- % modifiers. I'd prefer it if it would scale upwards - to me, it's an overall pacing issue with the game. I think costs should scale upwards by formula, meaning that the step between level 11 and 12 is substantially higher, by percentage, than the step between 1 and 2.

I remember making a suggestion for a fixed progression table, somewhere, but I can't be arsed to find it, since it doesn't really matter anyway; mods so far only support blanket percentage modification anyway.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

Good evening to all brave warriors .  Mychal you're going to hate me.  I managed to open the assembly file but I do not know what to change. If you can change the version from the latest patch ( 3.01 ) .  I speak to you at length to Crom .  A big thank you

Good evening to all brave warriors .  Mychal you're going to hate me.  I managed to open the assembly file but I do not know what to change. If you can change the version from the latest patch ( 3.01 ) .  I speak to you at length to Crom .  A big thank you

Unfortunately, I use Steam in offline mode while I play a game to ensure there are no updates/changes. Thus, I am currently playing version 3.0 and can't supply a 3.01 update for the exp change. However, it is really easy to make the change assuming the hex location of the multiplier hasn't changed. Here is an example procedure for the 50% increase:

1) Download https://mh-nexus.de/en/downloads.php?product=HxD

2) Run the hex editor and open Assembly-CSharp.dll located in your ...\Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\Managed folder (make a backup)

3) Press ctrl+f and copy paste F4 01 00 00 into the field, select hex-values as the data type, and press ok

4) For the first instance it finds, change the F4 to EE and the 01 to 02 (so F4 01 00 00 changes to EE 02 00 00)

5) Press f3 to search again and make the same changes as 4) above (i.e. change F4 to EE and 01 to 02) (the second instance of F4 01 00 00 should be near the first)

6) Save the dll

7) Run the game

An update regarding ideal experience for completionist.

Just finished the game with 33% increased experience required per level. I hit level 16 right before the start of Act IV completing every quest, all bounties, all Caed Nua, all WMI & WMII content, and exploring every inch of every map. I would guess that for completionist 40% would be too high to reach the maximum level, while 25% would see you hitting the maximum level somewhere around 80% of game completion. So 33% is a pretty good value to use (maybe 30% if you're aiming for 95% completion).

A few stats from the playthrough:

PotD, Expert

124 Hr, 17 min

~ 3 weeks to complete

~ 125 quests completed

~ 4000 enemies defeated

~ 13 months elapsed (in-game time)

~ 10 days in combat (in-game time)

Absolutely loved the game, without a doubt one of the great CRPGs. A big thank you to Obsidian for bringing us such an enjoyable experience. Also, the art was amazing - an incredible job all around. Can't wait to see where they go with the series next!

:dancing:

• Like 5

An update regarding ideal experience for completionist.

Just finished the game with 33% increased experience required per level. I hit level 16 right before the start of Act IV completing every quest, all bounties, all Caed Nua, all WMI & WMII content, and exploring every inch of every map. I would guess that for completionist 40% would be too high to reach the maximum level, while 25% would see you hitting the maximum level somewhere around 80% of game completion. So 33% is a pretty good value to use (maybe 30% if you're aiming for 95% completion).

A few stats from the playthrough:

PotD, Expert

124 Hr, 17 min

~ 3 weeks to complete

~ 125 quests completed

~ 4000 enemies defeated

~ 13 months elapsed (in-game time)

~ 10 days in combat (in-game time)

Absolutely loved the game, without a doubt one of the great CRPGs. A big thank you to Obsidian for bringing us such an enjoyable experience. Also, the art was amazing - an incredible job all around. Can't wait to see where they go with the series next!

:dancing:

Thank you very much for this!!!

I will use around 25% as I am not sure I would be able to achieve such a high completion %, as I never got more than a 1st half of the original game.