Hey guys,

with the new xpac WMII in mind, is a cipher slinging offensive spells at his enemies still viable on "hard", or do I have to take serious immunities into mind?

Which powers proved to be overwhelmingly usefull throughout the entire game regarding various immunities, especially if you consider going the (less effective, yes!) melee cipher route?

Thanx for your input! :)

everything is viable on hard

I did not so much want to discuss difficulty, but the amount of immunities one encounters in the course of the game that could/could not make certain cipher powers and/or build very restrictive to play.

I heard that there´ve been a few immunities introduced in past patches, so I just wanted to know!

Honnestely, when a fighter with Knockdown meets a foe with Prone immunity, it's annoying.

When cipher meets a foe with a given immunity, he just use a different power. Vary the status effects of the power you choose and you won't have any troubles.

There's about 20% foes immune to a given status. You won't find many foes with too many immunities at a time.

There is a certain (optionnal) boss immune to paralysis, stun and resistant to prone. Use charm/dominate/confuse, pure damage powrers, or simply target his annoying minions. That's the only time I experienced frustration about immunities. Eventually, it wasn't so bad.

I played on PotD with melee cipher by the way. Consider that melee weapons deal about 1.5 times more damages than ranged.

Melee is more dangerous, less flexible, but certainly not less efficient. You can still bring a big gun for first strike.

Edited by Elric Galad

everything is viable on hard

I did not so much want to discuss difficulty, but the amount of immunities one encounters in the course of the game that could/could not make certain cipher powers and/or build very restrictive to play.

I heard that there´ve been a few immunities introduced in past patches, so I just wanted to know!

Yes, but they aren't too bad. They are there to lessen cheese. It would suck if the first time you fight The Eyeless you could just charm/dominate/confuse them.

I proposed this change over a year ago and personally I am happy that it made it into the game. Now many fights require you to do different things in order to win. Previously you spammed the same spells and used the same tactics.

So that means crowd control abilities are (too some extent) of various use.

However, pure damage spells like mind blades and the like are still free of any "immunities" as long as you can hit the enemy / overcome his defenses, right?

Sorry for the stupid questions; i stopped playing PoE over a year ago.

Nope. There are a couple of damages immunities too :-

Not that much : only blights and 1 single other ennemy are immuned to 1 kind of physical damage (slash/pierce/crush). A couple more are immuned to elemental damages... once more mostly blights.

Remember your druid can cast blights by the way...