Is Perception now a must get stat for wizards?

So I originally got the game back when it released, and after playing through Act 1 decided to wait until the full White March expansions released before continuing. So here I am ready to start up a new game, and trying to figure out my character build all over again. I'm playing a wizard, and originally had maxed Might, Int, Dex, left Con and Per at minimum, and put the remaining into Res. With the changes to Per impacting Accuracy though, it now seems like Per is a must have stat for just about everyone.

Do I need to change my build to dump the remaining points into Per instead of Res? Should I go for a mix between the two? I also would like to have some conversation options, so going say 10/10 in Res/Per or something similar seems like a poor choice.

Does anyone have any other wizard builds for the new patch that may work better?

Hey (you marvelous gamer)

I've always been a fan of;

Might - max

Perception - max

Intellect - max

Dexterity - min

Constitution - min

Resolve - flat

The loss in cast speed doesn't hurt as much as you think it will. Casting less, more powerful, longer lasting spells helps you conserve spells and rest less overall. Careful dumping Resolve, getting interrupted over and over is like so totally lame, :)

I got your back

-Sking

• Like 2

Perception is probably second most important stat for wizards now.

I'd say most important attributes are Int>Per>Dex if you want your wizard to focus on CC, and Int>Might>Dex if you want to focus on damage. I think CC is something wizards are better at than damage though, most classes can do damage but no other class can CC quite like wizards can.

The only one you really need to max though is Intellect, the others have much less significant impact. As long as you don't do anything silly like put your points in raising Resolve and Con you do fine.

I wouldn't hard dump Consitution anymore since it was increased to 5% per point, you get very low health if you have Con at 3.

Edited by limaxophobiacq
  • Like 2

I think I'm even more confused now. I was really hoping to max the main important stats, but I'm not sure that's possible now if Per is also important. I don't know that I really want to min Dex either. While I see your point about possibly running out of spells faster, I can certainly conserve spells by just not casting as much. A higher Dex to make sure when I do want to cast something it gets off quickly seems pretty important though.

I was really hoping to do both damage and CC. How does 18/3/16/13/18/10 look? Or if Dex is more important than Might 16/3/18/13/18/10?

My hesitation in minimizing Resolve is it was my understanding there are a lot of conversation checks that use it. Although I guess 10 is probably not high enough to pass many of those anyway, so maybe I could go 19/3/18/15/18/5? As Sking mentions though this could be problematic if I'm getting interrupted all the time.

Should I be maxing Per instead of say Might/Dex in any of these builds?

Personally, I would sacrifice Might on a Wizard if I had to pick a stat to sacrifice (by which I mean "not pump"; you shouldn't dump it.)

Damaging spells will do good damage anyway; Int, Per, and Dex are more important imo.

(I like fast combat and to be faster than my enemies in combat, so I value Dex a lot.)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

On wizards Dex is less important since their cast speed is super fast.

I always used very similar stats to what Sking posted:

(I would probably not min Dex and not max Might)

Might - max

Perception - max

Intellect - max

Dexterity - min

Constitution - min

Resolve - flat

The loss in cast speed doesn't hurt as much as you think it will. Casting less, more powerful, longer lasting spells helps you conserve spells and rest less overall. Careful dumping Resolve, getting interrupted over and over is like so totally lame, :)

I got your back

-Sking

Edited by Raven Darkholme

My hesitation in minimizing Resolve is it was my understanding there are a lot of conversation checks that use it. Although I guess 10 is probably not high enough to pass many of those anyway, so maybe I could go 19/3/18/15/18/5? As Sking mentions though this could be problematic if I'm getting interrupted all the time.

For Concentration you can just cast Spirit Shield to get it at a more respectable level. Deflection is even less of an issue since you have Arcane Veil, Mirrored Image and Llengrath's Displaced Image. Those three abilities alone amount to a massive amount of deflection should the Wizard get attacked by any enemies.

People often push the need for Resolve for dialog choices, but you don't need it, at all. Majority of resolve choices are generally are for less violent solutions to quests. It really doesn't effect all that much.

So yeah dump Resolve all the way down.

Should I be maxing Per instead of say Might/Dex in any of these builds?

As for stats, Perception I would say is the 2nd most important (After obvious INT), since not only does it effect accuracy, but it also affects Interruption, of which Wizards are among the best at. A Wizard with for example, Blast, Wall of Flame and Chill Fog can generate an incredible amount of interrupts, which is very useful for delaying enemy spell casters.

Personally I think Might is more important than Dex since a majority of the Wizard's most damaging spells are multiple hits or damage over time, so you need a good Might score to be able to get them to punch through DR. You'll eventually be able to cast Deleterious Alacrity of Motion which will make your Wizard lightning quick anyway, though this spell is even better with a high Dex score.

Edited by Wolken3156
  • Like 1

Might - max

Perception - max

Intellect - max

Dexterity - min

Constitution - min

Resolve - flat

I got your back

-Sking

Spell Mastery - Deleterious Alacrity of Motion, DUH! Start with it and feel like a spellslinger should! It's very good when you need to do a lot of things very quickly. Like quickly cover buffs and debuffs and potions with many characters all at once against especially powerful enemies.

My PC is a Wizard. You can see him in action here http://www.twitch.tv/killyox/v/46994327  (highlight from twitch stream and because these are The Eyeless Hammers well...MC Hammer - Can't Touch this will accompany you :) ).

Personally for me it's Might + Int first and foremost. I did not dump any stats because I am often using my Wizard as a malee when he buffs himself (as you can tell from the video).

Edited by Killyox

Is Perception now a must get stat for wizards?

Imho it is. As a wizard you want your casts to reliably affect the enemies. Be it control or damaging spells.

The only one you really need to max though is Intellect, the others have much less significant impact. As long as you don't do anything silly like put your points in raising Resolve and Con you do fine.

For a more classic wizard, int is definitely a must. But wizard has way to versatile spell-set to be bound to a single playstyle.

I believe there are several wizard 'archetypes' that require different stat-spread. Something like:

- Classic wizard: 18 mig, 8 con, 4 dex, 19 per, 19 int, 10 res wood elf. Squishy wizard, versatile in that he can throw both damaging and cc spells, but somewhat conserving in his spell-usage (low dex). His main con is that when he casts cc-spells, his maxed might is of no use; as well as high int when he casts single target spells.

- Minoletta wizard: 19 mig, 8 con, 14 dex, 19 per, 10 int, 8 res wood elf. Single-target dps spellcaster. Maximizes the usage of: all Minoletta Missles, Ray of Fire, Ninagauth's Bitter Mooring, Ninagauth's Killing Bolt and Tayn's Chaotic Orb.

- Kalakoth wizard: 19 mig, 5 con, 19 dex, 14 per, 18 int, 3 res wood elf. Wizard focused on using ranged summoned weapons, namely Kalakoth's Minor Blights wand and maybe the Blackbow. (Per is lower a bit, because that wand adds +20 acc anyway)

- Citzal melee/reach wizard: something like 14 mig, 7 con, 19 dex, 19 per, 12 int, 7 res pale elf (or maybe coastal aumaua). A bit gimmicky melee fighter, wielding summoned quarterstaff.

- Llengrath control-freak: 2 mig, 10 con, 18 dex, 20 per, 19 int, 9 res wild orlan, in plate and with a small shield. This little bastard is focused exclusively on cc-spells. He doesn't need might. And since he gets some attributes to spare, he takes off-tanking/blocking those who passed the frontline as a second duty.

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1