Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Order to Play the Game Through?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

MaxQuest

MaxQuest

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2347 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I feel weird going into WM part II straight after part I, since there's supposed to be some time elapsed between them. My current plan is

• Act I
  • Endless Paths 1-3
  • White March Part I
  • Endless Paths 4-6
  • Act II
  • Endless Paths 7-9
  • White March Part II
  • Endless Paths 9-12
  • Act III
  • Endless Paths 12-15
  • Act IV

Endless paths 1-3 is easier than act 1 quests from Defiance Bay.

Endless paths 4-6 is easier than encounters from Russetwood and Durgan Battery areas.

Undying Heritage quest (from the start of act 2) feels way too easy after coming from WM1.

Just sayin' :)

Rosveen

Rosveen

Obsidian Order's Prophet of Woe

• Members
  • 708 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Endless paths 1-3 is easier than act 1 quests from Defiance Bay.

Doesn't Act 2 start when you enter Defiance Bay?

Edited by Rosveen, 22 February 2016 - 04:23 AM.

MaxQuest

MaxQuest

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2347 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I was under impression that act 1 ends with the "Never Far From The Queen" quest, when you enter the Temple of Woedica from from Defiance Bay Catacombs.
And thought that act 2 starts with "Undying Heritage". That's how IGN playthrough guide notes it at least. But there is no message, no popup that would write "tada, you have entered act 2".

Lychnidos

Lychnidos

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 307 posts
But there is no message, no popup that would write "tada, you have entered act 2".

It's been quite some time since I last played the game, but I'm pretty sure there is one when you enter Defiance Bay.

Anyway to keep the challenge I decided to delay leveling up, so I'm going in the following order:

• Do the following but don't level up past 5
    • Act I
    • Endless Paths until it gets too difficult
  • Do the following but don't level up past 7
    • All quests in Defiance Bay
  • Do the following but don't level up past 9
    • White March I
    • Rest of Act II
  • Do the following but don't level up past 12
    • White March II
    • Endless Paths
    • Cragholdt Bluffs
  • Finish the game
    • Upscale Act III
    • Upscale Act IV

Any thoughts on the order or levels? On what level to do the Alpine Dragon and the new wizard? Will I be able to reach max level from level 12 full exp(level 13 no exp) in Act III and IV?

• Tanred likes this

Rosveen

Rosveen

Obsidian Order's Prophet of Woe

• Members
  • 708 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I was under impression that act 1 ends with the "Never Far From The Queen" quest, when you enter the Temple of Woedica from from Defiance Bay Catacombs.
And thought that act 2 starts with "Undying Heritage". That's how IGN playthrough guide notes it at least. But there is no message, no popup that would write "tada, you have entered act 2".
Update: I just reached Defiance Bay with my new character. When you walk through the gates, there's a screen with a description of the city read by the narrator. According to my next savefile notes, that is the beginning of Act 2. Never Far From the Queen appears to carry over between acts.

Not that it matters, anyway. :)

Edited by Rosveen, 22 February 2016 - 10:44 AM.

PugPug

PugPug

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 303 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Hey (you bunch of phenomenal gamers)

My recommended playthrough is;

Complete Act 1 (1v1 the bear, it is ones test to become a man/woman)

Progress through Act 2/Od Nua until character level 7

Enter the White March Pt.1 (no scaling)

Transition into the White March Pt. 2 (no scaling)

Return to Dyrford around level 11/12 to complete Act 2/Od Nua

Begin Act 3 (with scaling)

Complete the game

High five yourself for being so awesome

The smiles will be unlimited

-Sking

EDIT: I wouldn't worry about hitting all the content in Act 2. There is a lot. Splitting it 50/50 into two playthroughs will help you to 'not' pass up the EXP curve of the game.

Aww, you really do have our backs.

Tanred

Tanred

Stick of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

But there is no message, no popup that would write "tada, you have entered act 2".

It's been quite some time since I last played the game, but I'm pretty sure there is one when you enter Defiance Bay.

Anyway to keep the challenge I decided to delay leveling up, so I'm going in the following order:

• Do the following but don't level up past 5
    • Act I
  • Do the following but don't level up past 7
    • All quests in Defiance Bay
  • Do the following but don't level up past 9
    • White March I
    • Rest of Act II
  • Do the following but don't level up past 12
    • White March II
    • Endless Paths
    • Cragholdt Bluffs
  • Finish the game
    • Upscale Act III
    • Upscale Act IV

Any thoughts on the order or levels? On what level to do the Alpine Dragon and the new wizard? Will I be able to reach max level from level 12 full exp(level 13 no exp) in Act III and IV?

I play pretty much the same way you do. Based on my ongoing current playthrough on Hard with only 4 men party (using companions), which I estimate to be roughly on par with full party PotD, I'd recommend following order to maintain any challenge in a completionist playthrough:

• Do the following but don't level up past 4:
    • Act I areas (Raedric's Hold final fight maybe level 5)
    • Endless Paths levels 1 and 2
  • Do the following but don't level up past 5:
    • Early Defiance Bay quests
  • Do the following but don't level up past 6:
    • Most of the Act II areas with few exceptions mentioned in next bullet. This is a kinda dull period because there is a lot of content with no meaningful party progress.
    • Endless Paths levels 3 to 6
  • Do the following but don't level up past 7:
    • Searing Falls and Pearlwood Bluff. Skaen Temple.
    • Stormwall Gorge incl. Lle a Rhemen 
  • Do the following but don't level up past 9:
    • Stalwart, Russetwood (enter WM I at level to 9 in order to scale up the content)
    • Endless Paths level 7
  • Do the following but don't level up past 11:
    • Durgan's Battery
    • Endless Paths levels 8 to 10
  • Do the following but don't level up past 13:
    • Longwatch Falls 
    • Endless Paths levels 11 to 13
    • Scaled WM II content? (not been there yet)
    • Scaled Act III? (not been there yet)
  • Remaining levels:
    • Crägholdt
    • Endless Paths levels 14 to 15
    • Scaled Act IV

Edited by Tanred, 22 February 2016 - 01:11 PM.

• Lychnidos and Kerozevok like this

Lychnidos

Lychnidos

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 307 posts

@Tanred 

Much more thorough :thumbsup:. I'm only in Act I, and have just completed Raedric's Hold with a 5 men level 4 party(I have Caed Nua and Madmr Bridge left) and also decided to not level up further until Defiance Bay. This will help with Act II, which is hardest to keep challenge in, now that there is high level scaling for III.

Regarding White March II. I think it's meant to start on level 9 and can be upscaled  on 12, which is done by 30% so the begging ares are also level 12.

• Tanred likes this

copperleaves

copperleaves

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 34 posts
  • Steam:copperleaves

Complete Act 1 (1v1 the bear, it is ones test to become a man/woman)........

OK so I just restarted playing after several months and I remember back then I found it next to impossible to solo the bear cave on PoTD difficulty when I came across it right at the beginning........has anything changed since then?

Because I remember I asked for advice on how to solo that cave (because at that point in the game you are by yourself) and pretty much everyone told me leave it for later, gain a couple of levels and get a party member or two and then come back and clear it.......

I was only able to solo the bear once, on normal difficulty, with a rogue. She did so much damage the bear didn't have time to get hits in.

Since then, with a Pali on hard? No go. I'm about to restart the game on PoTD and uh I don't even know if I'll try it.

Mocker22

Mocker22

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 305 posts

To the OP. I would try not to worry to much about this really. In my opinion there is no way to make the game feel perfectly sensible from a RP perspective if you intend to do most or all of the content. I will always have that feeling of...hmmm....worlds ending....lets go help a farmer find his pig. Weird.

Anymore my play order has a lot to do with getting the gear I'm looking for, primarily for my PC.

Mirandel

Mirandel

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 99 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Complete Act 1 (1v1 the bear, it is ones test to become a man/woman)

Progress through Act 2/Od Nua until character level 7

Enter the White March Pt.1 (no scaling)

Transition into the White March Pt. 2 (no scaling)

Return to Dyrford around level 11/12 to complete Act 2/Od Nua

Begin Act 3 (with scaling)

Complete the game

High five yourself for being so awesome

The smiles will be unlimited

-Sking

EDIT: I wouldn't worry about hitting all the content in Act 2. There is a lot. Splitting it 50/50 into two playthroughs will help you to 'not' pass up the EXP curve of the game.

Would that recommendation be the same for someone who does not care about difficulty but only the story? PoE is far (very far) from linear script but there is a logic in quests order - like, you do not feel well hence do want to get to  Od Nua as fast as you can without wandering around.

Elric Galad

Elric Galad

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1567 posts
Hey guys !
My party us level 11-12. I want to go to WMII to pick the soulbound items earlt, but I would like to play Upscaled WMII.

From which level can you pick upscaled option ?

Kaylon

Kaylon

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1292 posts

You can start WM1 at lv7 but you should stick mostly to the main quest. Side quests and bounties should probably be finished too before starting WM2 to avoid losing them. Alpine dragon and the lich are lv12-14 content and should be done probably during ch.3.

• peddroelm likes this

Elric Galad

Elric Galad

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1567 posts
Sorry, my question was more : from which level the game propose you the upscalled content ?

I'm affraid if I enter WMII with a too low level, the game won't allow me to upscale, even if I come back later.

Elric Galad

Elric Galad

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1567 posts
To answer my own question : one can choose upscaled WMII at least from lvl 12.
  • chickenhed likes this

613 The Evil

613 The Evil

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 64 posts

I started the game again, and I thought I was supposed to play the White March after I finishe the main storyline... Now I see it's not so. Well, I am in Act 3 now so I plan to stay there and wrap it up and then go to the White March stuff. Also, what about that Battle of Yenwood? I read you can get allies from White March cities etc. so it makes sense to leave it for later, yes? And Cragholdt Bluffs? I gues I'll do this one before White March. But, my real question is this. If I jump to the pit and do stuff, will the game end, without me being able to play the expanison parts? I believe there is a point of no turning back towards the original storyline. I'd like to know when I should stop to avoid rolling the credits while I've never set foot on the White March, but at the same time I want to do all the quests in the Glanfathan lands. If I simply have to leave the main quest unfinished and go play the expansion, it's fine with me. Is that what I should do?

KDubya

KDubya

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1543 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

I started the game again, and I thought I was supposed to play the White March after I finishe the main storyline... Now I see it's not so. Well, I am in Act 3 now so I plan to stay there and wrap it up and then go to the White March stuff. Also, what about that Battle of Yenwood? I read you can get allies from White March cities etc. so it makes sense to leave it for later, yes? And Cragholdt Bluffs? I gues I'll do this one before White March. But, my real question is this. If I jump to the pit and do stuff, will the game end, without me being able to play the expanison parts? I believe there is a point of no turning back towards the original storyline. I'd like to know when I should stop to avoid rolling the credits while I've never set foot on the White March, but at the same time I want to do all the quests in the Glanfathan lands. If I simply have to leave the main quest unfinished and go play the expansion, it's fine with me. Is that what I should do?

Yes, you need to go do all the expansion areas before you jump in the pit, that is the point of no return.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 14809 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Please do Cragholt Bluffs after WM I. It's very tough. Your steward (the lady who is encased in the throne) should have already told you that the Torn Bannermen and Concelhaut are not to be trifled with.

613 The Evil

613 The Evil

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 64 posts

Please do Cragholt Bluffs after WM I. It's very tough. Your steward (the lady who is encased in the throne) should have already told you that the Torn Bannermen and Concelhaut are not to be trifled with.

Yeah, I know it's for higher levels. But I've already killed the Adra dragon, right after Act 3 started. Actually, I left it at that because I thought the dragonslayer that gives you that talent was somewhere in Twin Elms, stupid me. Long story short, I'm already level 13 and going, so I believe whatever the expansion can throw at me I will more or less be ready.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 14809 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

But WM I will already be way too easy for you. When you do Crägholt first, it will even get worse.

And by the way: the Adra Dragon is easy to kill if you know what to do. It's just one hefty boss with a lot of weak adds. The Torn Bannermen and the stuff Concelhaut has are all quite powerful. But it surely is doable at lvl 13. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users