Order to Play the Game Through?

Hey guys! Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I was wondering what order in general things should be done in the game. I want to find a good balance of narrative and difficulty progression. For example, I'm having trouble figuring out when to do White March part 1 without feeling like it just doesn't fit in the story. Or if I find a good place to do it in the story, I'm worried that either it will be too easy (maybe by doing it too late), or it'll make the rest of the game too easy as my level will be too inflated. This becomes even more complicated to me when I factor in the new level scaling options, White March Part 2, AND when to do the endless paths.

So I was wondering, could someone be so kind as to post a good order for playing the game through?

E.g. Act 1 -> Endless Paths 1-5 -> Act 2 -> Endless paths 5-10 -> White March P1 (scaled?) -> White March P2 (scaled?) -> Endless Paths 10-15 -> Act 3 (scaled?)

Would that be somewhat close? Could someone give me a good order to do all these things in? I want the game to stay challenging (I'm playing potd) but I also want a good progression (I want the story to at least feel like it flows okay, and I don't want to go from saving the world to saving kittens in trees then back to saving the world).

Sorry, this has just been a real nightmare for me to figure out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any responses!

You can, you know, just go somewhere, and if it looks like your party isn't up for it, just go somewhere else and come back later. Push the Endless Paths as far as you can, have fun with the challenge, and then when it gets frustrating or too difficult just go back to the main quest. It's not really necessary to write an order down in a piece of paper and obey it.

But sure, if it's really troubling you, that order seems to me like it'll be OK.

I typically do act 1 unlock the stronghold asap, then defiance Bay all side quest do the first main wurst of defiance then do drywood village quest, card nun 1 through 5 then all the bounties then white march you can always upscale act 3 hope this helps!

Hey (you bunch of phenomenal gamers)

My recommended playthrough is;

Complete Act 1 (1v1 the bear, it is ones test to become a man/woman)

Progress through Act 2/Od Nua until character level 7

Enter the White March Pt.1 (no scaling)

Transition into the White March Pt. 2 (no scaling)

Return to Dyrford around level 11/12 to complete Act 2/Od Nua

Begin Act 3 (with scaling)

Complete the game

High five yourself for being so awesome

The smiles will be unlimited

-Sking

EDIT: I wouldn't worry about hitting all the content in Act 2. There is a lot. Splitting it 50/50 into two playthroughs will help you to 'not' pass up the EXP curve of the game.

• Like 20

E.g. Act 1 -> Endless Paths 1-5 -> Act 2 -> Endless paths 5-10 -> White March P1 (scaled?) -> Endless paths 10-13 -> White March P2 (scaled?) -> Act 3 (scaled?) -> Endless paths 14-15 -> the Wizards tower-> Act 4

That is what I'm looking at on my playthru. I rearranged a lil bc it "feels" better to do some endless paths before wm2 since it gives the impression some time has passed between the 2 expansions.

Doing the last 2 levels of EP and the Wizards tower right before the drop bc it feels like I'm tying up the remaining last loose ends so if something happens in the spot of no return, at least everything else was taken care of from roleplaying perspective.

• Like 1

Act 1 -> Endless Paths 1-5

Endless Paths levels 1-2 can be done quite well before going to Defiance Bay, but I'd say levels 3-5 are still too difficult at this stage.

Maybe if you rest a lot you can do it, but it'll be tedious.

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

I do not care much about order of things, just do whatever i have mood for. Some patterns:

- Clean one area (gilden vale, Defiance, WM, Dyrwood) as i am there, less travel time, less resting.

- Focus on quests, either side or main over wild or Paths, More xp, and i like builds be more flesh out.

- Sometimes altering pattern if i want something specific. Like get Devil, named loot reward.

- Endless Paths are here mostly for trash loot, becoming xuirp spears manufacturer. Skaen temple is even better in that regard.

On PotD I'm going to try to do Act II up to level nine, then go to upscaled White March pt 1, finish that go on to up scaled white march part 2 then go to upscaled Act III.

Will need to do Endless Paths as needed to hit level nine without starting Act III. Want to try and save as much as I can in order to level up soulbound weapons.

• Like 1

There is enough content in Act 2 plus white march to level to 16. However, the level scaling for Act 3 seems to be tailored for maybe level 11-12 characters. Going into Act 3 even at lvl 13 will redult in a stomp. So I guess the only way to keep the end game difficult is to skip a LOT of good content in Act 2/white march. This is based on just two playthroughs of the game though, one on hard and one on potd.

One problem is also that the upscaled Act 3 is not the only area meant for lvl 12 characters, for example the Cragholdt bluffs challenge area is also good to do at lvl 12-13. So no matter what some content of the game will be too easy. My hope is that in the future the devs or modders will increase the level scaling of Act 3 and 4. In that case it would be possible to do all the content you like in Act 2 without having to worry about the rest of the game becoming a stomp.

• Like 1

I feel weird going into WM part II straight after part I, since there's supposed to be some time elapsed between them. My current plan is

• Act I
  • Endless Paths 1-3
  • White March Part I
  • Endless Paths 4-6
  • Act II
  • Endless Paths 7-9
  • White March Part II
  • Endless Paths 9-12
  • Act III
  • Endless Paths 12-15
  • Act IV
Edited by hamskii
  • Like 1

My question to people who are saying they'll head to WM at level 7;

How will you beat the

Alpine Dragon

at level 7 or is he beatable at that level?

I haven't played The White March with a Level 7 character yet, but I'm not sure you need to do that. It's not required for progression, and you can always come back later.

• Like 1

How will you beat the

Alpine Dragon

I was level 7 when I've run through Temple of Woedica from Defiance Bay catacombs, and received the letter from Steward. So.. I've headed there at that level.

Also I've got a message that I "have completed WM:I" moments afterI have unlocked the White Forge, and a notice that I can rest outside of WM:I to unlock WM:II. So you don't need to kill that spoilered creature to progress further.

Although I am afraid that act 2 of main story will be too easy now.

P.S. Stalwart, Russetwood and Durgan Battery encounters are not that big deal for a good lvl 7-10 party (potd difficulty). Although there are two fights that feel way out of the curve, specifically Felisa's fampyr gang (charms everywhere..) and the final battle at White Forge (a lucky shadowflame is the end for your party).

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 1

How will you beat the

Alpine Dragon

Yeah, crit path stuff is for characters at about level 7-8, whereas Longwatch Falls and Crägholdt Bluffs are for characters who are level 11+.

I feel weird going into WM part II straight after part I, since there's supposed to be some time elapsed between them. My current plan is

• Act I
  • Endless Paths 1-3
  • White March Part I
  • Endless Paths 4-6
  • Act II
  • Endless Paths 7-9
  • White March Part II
  • Endless Paths 9-12
  • Act III
  • Endless Paths 12-15
  • Act IV

You can't start White March until you've done the start of Act 2, so this doesn't make sense to me.

t50aJUd.jpg

Hey (you bunch of phenomenal gamers)

My recommended playthrough is;

Complete Act 1 (1v1 the bear, it is ones test to become a man/woman)........

OK so I just restarted playing after several months and I remember back then I found it next to impossible to solo the bear cave on PoTD difficulty when I came across it right at the beginning........has anything changed since then?

Because I remember I asked for advice on how to solo that cave (because at that point in the game you are by yourself) and pretty much everyone told me leave it for later, gain a couple of levels and get a party member or two and then come back and clear it.......

Edited by Brimsurfer

• Act I
  • Endless Paths 1-3
  • White March Part I
  • Endless Paths 4-6
  • Act II
  • Endless Paths 7-9
  • White March Part II
  • Endless Paths 9-12
  • Act III
  • Endless Paths 12-15
  • Act IV

You can't start White March until you've done the start of Act 2, so this doesn't make sense to me.

I only did the first bit of Act II - I did everything you could do in Copperlane and First Fires, without visiting areas that weren't on the crit path (so no Searing Falls, Stormwall Gorge etc.). I still have the vast majority of Act II to go.

The main problem with my playthrough as I see it is that I have no idea where Crägholdt Bluffs, Mowrghek Îen, and (to a lesser extent) Longwatch Falls fit into it.

• Act I
  • Endless Paths 1-3
  • White March Part I
  • Endless Paths 4-6
  • Act II
  • Endless Paths 7-9
  • White March Part II
  • Endless Paths 9-12
  • Act III
  • Endless Paths 12-15
  • Act IV

Endless paths 1-3 is easier than act 1 quests from Defiance Bay.

Endless paths 4-6 is easier than encounters from Russetwood and Durgan Battery areas.

Undying Heritage quest (from the start of act 2) feels way too easy after coming from WM1.

Just sayin' :)

Doesn't Act 2 start when you enter Defiance Bay?

I was under impression that act 1 ends with the "Never Far From The Queen" quest, when you enter the Temple of Woedica from from Defiance Bay Catacombs.

And thought that act 2 starts with "Undying Heritage". That's how IGN playthrough guide notes it at least. But there is no message, no popup that would write "tada, you have entered act 2".

But there is no message, no popup that would write "tada, you have entered act 2".

It's been quite some time since I last played the game, but I'm pretty sure there is one when you enter Defiance Bay.

Anyway to keep the challenge I decided to delay leveling up, so I'm going in the following order:

• Do the following but don't level up past 5
    • Act I
    • Endless Paths until it gets too difficult
  • Do the following but don't level up past 7
    • All quests in Defiance Bay
  • Do the following but don't level up past 9
    • White March I
    • Rest of Act II
  • Do the following but don't level up past 12
    • White March II
    • Endless Paths
    • Cragholdt Bluffs
  • Finish the game
    • Upscale Act III
    • Upscale Act IV

Any thoughts on the order or levels? On what level to do the Alpine Dragon and the new wizard? Will I be able to reach max level from level 12 full exp(level 13 no exp) in Act III and IV?

• Like 1

Doesn't Act 2 start when you enter Defiance Bay?

I was under impression that act 1 ends with the "Never Far From The Queen" quest, when you enter the Temple of Woedica from from Defiance Bay Catacombs.

And thought that act 2 starts with "Undying Heritage". That's how IGN playthrough guide notes it at least. But there is no message, no popup that would write "tada, you have entered act 2".

Update: I just reached Defiance Bay with my new character. When you walk through the gates, there's a screen with a description of the city read by the narrator. According to my next savefile notes, that is the beginning of Act 2. Never Far From the Queen appears to carry over between acts.

Not that it matters, anyway. :)

Edited by Rosveen