Missing DLC Upgrade Paths on GOG.com

Ever since the game was released on GOG in March last year, there were never DLC upgrade paths the same way there is on steam. Technically as it currently stands you'd have to rebuy the game again.

Can anyone from Obsidian please state why are GOG users treated as second class citizens and have to pay more for the same content that is being offered on Steam?

It is quite upsetting that almost a year has passed and nothing has been done about it.

Thank you.

That's GoG's fault, really; not Obsidian's.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I don't know who's fault it is anymore, GOG has since refused to take responsibility. But that's why I'm leaving this message here. As it currently goes, GOG users have to shell twice as much money to upgrade to the Royal Edition, compared to Steam.

There is no game difference between the 2 stores, so I see no reason why GOG users are being treated as second class citizens and paying more. I have no intention of buying the expansion (much as I wish to), as I would only be supporting the person behind these decisions.

I don't know who's fault it is anymore, GOG has since refused to take responsibility. But that's why I'm leaving this message here. As it currently goes, GOG users have to shell twice as much money to upgrade to the Royal Edition, compared to Steam.

There is no game difference between the 2 stores, so I see no reason why GOG users are being treated as second class citizens and paying more. I have no intention of buying the expansion (much as I wish to), as I would only be supporting the person behind these decisions.

Maybe Steam is the culprit - giving their folks a non- required discount offer.

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

It's probably Paradox's fault, they are the publisher as such things like upgrade paths and supplied SKUs are their responsibility. The only way it's GOG's fault is if they didn't ask for them or refused to implement them- both of which seem unlikely, if they didn't plan on doing them they would simply have not bothered mentioning upgrade paths at all- and if they aren't provided they cannot unilaterally offer them.

GoG is going through the same growing pains as steam did when they were young. You can't expect a steam level experience on a non-steam client.

If you bought it on GoG for a special sale price, then I guess you get what you pay for.

No, that's not it. GOG has upgrade paths to higher tier editions available for a number of other games, including Wasteland 2 and the Shadow Run series, some of which I consumed myself. The Galaxy client is currently sort of not capabale of actually installing White March (at least on existing installations) but that is a whole different level of suck that really is GOG's fault.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Why would anyone knowingly want to upgrade to a "higher-tier" edition that costs twice as much (!!) but gets you exactly the same game, with only some useless ringtones / PDFs / etc. as "bonus"?

I thought the expensive editions were just there as a marketing ploy, to sucker in customers who are too lazy to realize that the cheaper edition includes exactly the same game.

That people who already own and know the game would consciously want to 'upgrade', baffles me.

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

Why would anyone knowingly want to upgrade to a "higher-tier" edition that costs twice as much (!!) but gets you exactly the same game, with only some useless ringtones / PDFs / etc. as "bonus"?

I thought the expensive editions were just there as a marketing ploy, to sucker in customers who are too lazy to realize that the cheaper edition includes exactly the same game.

That people who already own and know the game would consciously want to 'upgrade', baffles me.

Some people like those extras, enough to pay money for them.

I've also seen some people on forums talking about buying the bigger editions of whatever games as a way to get the devs a bit more money.

Basically to each their own.

For those that want this, I don't see why GOG shouldn't have the upgrades available. Its odd that they don't but steam does.

I will bring this issue up to Paradox to see if this is something they want to pursue.

There were no bad intentions in not selling the upgrade paths to GOG users, it was just that not many people have requested it. Since there is inherent overhead in creating DLC (in terms of initial setup and maintenance) there usually needs to be enough people requesting it before it makes sense for us to do it.

I will let you know what the answer is in the next day or two.

I will bring this issue up to Paradox to see if this is something they want to pursue.

There were no bad intentions in not selling the upgrade paths to GOG users, it was just that not many people have requested it. Since there is inherent overhead in creating DLC (in terms of initial setup and maintenance) there usually needs to be enough people requesting it before it makes sense for us to do it.

I will let you know what the answer is in the next day or two.

There's generally a rather loud vocal minority that complains (on the GOG forums) about things like this when they occur on GOG. Whether enough would buy upgrades to make it worthwhile or not is another matter, but I'd seriously suggest trying to get Paradox to greenlight it. As a GOG user myself, I'd like to see GOG be able to compete with Steam and they'll certainly never have a chance if their customers are shut out of benefits and options that Steam users get.

After speaking with Paradox I was told that it is a technical issue with GOG technology. I guess they would have to make upgrades to their pipeline to support it. When they fix those pipeline issues we should be able to offer the upgrade path to users.

NOTE: I have not spoken to anyone from GOG, so I can't personally verify if this is the case, but I don't have any reason to think it's false.

• Like 1

After speaking with Paradox I was told that it is a technical issue with GOG technology. I guess they would have to make upgrades to their pipeline to support it. When they fix those pipeline issues we should be able to offer the upgrade path to users.

NOTE: I have not spoken to anyone from GOG, so I can't personally verify if this is the case, but I don't have any reason to think it's false.

Thank you for taking the time to find out.

Thanks for looking into this, but please both yourself and Paradox read majestic's post regarding this:

...No, that's not it. GOG has upgrade paths to higher tier editions available for a number of other games, including Wasteland 2 and the Shadow Run series, some of which I consumed myself...

The upgrades for games are available so what's the problem? By Paradox saying "technical issue with GOG Technology" does that mean the optional client not being able to do it? At my end, the upgrade option is shown to be there for other games and Paradox isn't doing anything about it or doesn't know how to

The upgrades for games are available so what's the problem? By Paradox saying "technical issue with GOG Technology" does that mean the optional client not being able to do it? At my end, the upgrade option is shown to be there for other games and Paradox isn't doing anything about it or doesn't know how to

The optional client is optional so that can't be the problem. It is possible to buy the upgrades through GOG's site, in fact, when the upgrades first appeared Galaxy was still a closed beta (if even that). Offering upgrade paths for other games and other companies doesn't automatically mean it works for everyone. We have no insight in how GOG or Paradox offer the upgrade paths but it is quite possible that there is a technical issue and not enough impetus (potential buyers, in other words) to fix it. If I had to guess the problem's either with some form of communication between GOG and Paradox or the billing process, possibly both.

Fun fact, there are a two upgrade packs in GOG's Paradox catalogue, but these really are only DLC packs more akin to an expansion, not real edition upgrades.

Either way, neither Paradox nor GOG are really going to release the gritty details, but if it were a trivial issue they would have fixed it already.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.