Animal abuse Ranger build. That's something that probably shouldn't exist... Poor animals. All you need is a lamb companion for sacrificial lamb Ranger... for RP.

Just take the antelope companion and call it "Bambi" That raises the guilt bar quite high for me....

• Like 3

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

The Long Pain works with Penetrating Shot, not Vulnerable Attack. So I assume it also doesn't profit from other melee-only talents like Savage Attack. But it works with Resonance and that is really great. With Lightning Strikes and Turning Wheel you always cause Resonance and you can "mark" enemies one after anoher without overkilling them. Then run into their midst and trigger the raw damage - all dead! :)

Edit: Savage Attack doesn't work with Long Pain. But Marksman and the Wood Elf racial do! Welcome, Wood Elf Monk, finally. ;) You can shoot very fast with this fist. I had nearly no recovery with Lightning Strikes and Penetrating Shot. Paired with Long Stride this setup can turn you into a great ranged character. I wonder if you can wear a shield while having this. The durgan reinforcement from a shield would make you even faster. And with the Alia Braccia and Soul Mirror you woul reflect spells and arrows like crazy while shooting fast at the same time...

Edit2: the duplicates don't cause Resonance. ;) I didn't test scrolls, multiclass talents and spell bindings yet. 

that means u can take the marksman talent for extra accuracy as well. They will also get 20% atk speed boost from chanters though u prob want the 25% fire damage.

Guess what I found?

Llengrath's Mental Shields

4th level Wizard Spell

Speed: Fast

Effects:

Caster:

Prevent Charmed, Terrified, Stunned, Frightened, Dominated, Distracted, Dazed, Confused (2 times) for 45.0 sec

The caster gains immunity to the Charmed, Confused, dazed, Distracted, Dominated, Frightened, Stunned, and Terrified afflictions. The shields will negate two attacks from each affliction type.

Llengrath's Physical Shields

4th level Wizard Spell

Effects:

Caster:

Prevent Blinded, Weakened, Stuck, Sickened, Prone, Petrified, Paralyzed, Hobbled (2 times) for 45.0 sec

The caster gains immunity to the Blinded, Paralyzed, Petrified, Prone, Sickened, Stuck and Weakened afflictions. The shields will negate two attacks from each affliction type.

Llengrath's Blunt Wisdom

6th level Wizard Spell

Effects:

Caster:

Summon Weapon: Llengrath's Blunt Wisdom for 45.0 sec

The wizard summons a rod that hurls a ball of magical energy. When the ball arrives at its target, it hovers for a few moments before exploding, inflicting terrible Raw damage on nearby enemies.

Llengrath's Siphoning Image

7th level Wizard Spell

Effects:

Characters hitting Self:

3-8 Raw Damage | Accuracy vs. Will

-20 Deflection for 15.0 sec

Target:

Applies the same effect as Characters hitting Self.

Caster:

+40 Deflection, +30 Reflex, + 50% of incoming Hits converted to Grazes (Deflection or Reflex only) for 45.0 sec

Causes the caster to appear visually displaced, increasing their Deflection and Reflex for the duration. Additionally, many Deflection and Reflex attacks that score Hits will be converted to Grazes.

Llengrath's Dread Haze

8th level Wizard Spell

Speed: Average

Range: 10m

Area of Effect: Foe Target + 5.0m Radius

Interrupt: 0.5 sec (Average)

Effects:

Foe AoE:

Health and Endurance concealed for 20.0 sec, Sickened for 20.0 sec | Accuracy (+5) vs. Will

Fills targets with an intense malaise that leaves them Sickened and incapable of evaluating their Endurance.

I have no idea where the grimoire is gotten in-game however.

• Like 1

^ I have a guess ;)

As though Wizards needed more powerful 4th level spells, amirite?

Those are great!

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Damn, why do wizard get so many more new toys than the other casters? I'd get them getting like twice as many but this is ridiculous, they get more new spells than priests, druids, and ciphers combined.

Wonder how Dread Haze works when you cast it on enemies. Does not knowing its endurance change AI behaviour?

Edited by limaxophobiacq

Oh right, I forgot the stats for the summoned weapon! Here it is:

ySM3Fsf.jpg

Wonder how Dread Haze works when you cast it on enemies. Does not knowing its endurance change AI behaviour?

I don't see enemy Paladins ever use Lay on Hands on Frenzied Barbarians during Cragholdt, so I guess it stops them from healing. The spell looks like it was designed specifically for the enemy to use.

• Like 1

Therefore, to summarize what I think about martial class now :

Fighter got 2 interesting tools : charge and immunity. It's still not vert clear for me how immunity works, but they look very potent. Fighters lacked a bit gamechanging powers. So it's good news.

Barbarian got some good abilities. Retaliation is a really nice passive, especially when used with DR and heal. Blood thirst is basically an useful variant of bloodlust. Good for killing trash mobs, no idea about its usefulleness against more serious mob. As barbarians tend to have meh abilities, I feel relieved that they got decent one(s).

Ranger heal pet stuff seems lame. It does not compet with paladin equivalent for raw values, and are not even applicable to other NPC. The vengeance stuff seems a gimmick. Firearm modal looks fun, but can't used with twin arrows : it opens new paths but don't make the class stronger.

Paladin new abilities are quite circonstacial. The anti-confusion friend-slap seems the best ability of the game against this threat. Not much raw power neither, but after Immolation, paladin needed a pause in their power curve.

Rogue new abilities looks nice but not crazy. I have to test them

Monk new stuff seems to have some potential but need to be tested : currently, it's hard for me to figure how powerful they are.

• 4 weeks later...

Am I crazy or would Defensive Mindweb + Reaping Knives = amazing melee Cipher build whilst fighting near your tank/paladin?

Reaping Knives can only be cast on a team mate.  And best to be cast on a fast attacking team mate, like a monk or a rogue, rather than someone who slowed down by heavy armor.  But you cast Reaping Knives on a fast attacking character and it's damage galore, and huge amounts of focus for the Cipher who cast it in the first place.  Come to think of it, if you cast RK's on a rogue who is able to sneak attack with them, all the more damage!

You can get a nice wizard spell from Coleslaw, summons a giant hammer that keeps damaging and knocking down one target. Also draining missiles but those don't seem to do anything at the moment.

Yeah, that hammer spell of Concelhaut's is amusing and effective.