US Elections 2016

Gorth

"No of course many people will still criticize the West but will happily immigrate to a Western country "

Because they know despite the criticism the Western countries tend to be better... than many try to change the new country to be like the old. LOGICZ.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"No of course many people will still criticize the West but will happily immigrate to a Western country "

Because they know despite the criticism the Western countries tend to be better... than many try to change the new country to be like the old. LOGICZ.

No they don't tend to be better, Western countries are better as they offer there citizens overall the best quality of life

This is an irrefutable fact. And its not about the view that " white people are running Western countries" its because in Western countries certain laws and views exist that are enforced  and end of the day despite criticism these laws  are the best way to ensure a happy and prosperous society

So in Africa  most people want a working and economically transformed continent ....but you still have certain  countries where leaders disregard good governance and human rights. This in turn leads to social and political instability and lack of investment. So in the African context certain leaders need to realize that rhetoric is not enough to achieve the required economic transformation ...you need to actually  implement the required laws and enforce them

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

All i can say, i find it amusing that she got 86% of the black vote in South Carolina, compared to someone who actually marched with MLK and got arrested while protesting during the Civil Rights-era, all while she was campaigning for Nixon.

This is the single most interesting thing this far. I am completely flummoxed by the fact that Bernie does so bad with black voters. It's not local to SC, he also did very bad with black voters in Nevada, but not with any other minorities. Truly incomprehensible, and I have not found any good explanations on the Internet either.

Attacking Hilary would go against what Sanders' strategy. As he has stated from beginning of his campaign that he will not smear other candidates but tries to win what he has to offer. Hillary gets run quite freely with his foreign policy expertise because Sanders has even less and his focus is in domestic politics.  

Although Sanders strategy not attack his opposition has worked quite well for him, because it was something fresh in US politics and his opponents that attacked him suffered because of those attacks instead of him. I would say that Sanders would not be as serious contender as he is without that strategy.

We don't know if Sanders' strategy has worked out or not. And we can't really make such a statement without a comparison to a campaign where he did not have that strategy, which sadly did not (and probably will not) happen. But who knows, maybe he was forced to use his kitten mittens by the DNC in exchange for being allowed to enter the Democratic primaries at all.

And GOP side the leading candidate is one that owns every attack against him and makes them seem as his strengths. Which is caused that more Trumps opposition smears him more popular Trump becomes.  

You can see Clinton's expertise in politics how she has adopted Sanders like strategy to avoid direct smear towards Sanders and how she has also adopted lots of things from his campaign so that it don't look so unique anymore. Especially as said adoption strategy seems to work for her quite well.

No, Trump is a candidate who has not been reluctant to denounce his opponents in the strongest terms available to him. The entirety of Trump's original popularity came from his inclination to denounce people such as Bush in very, very strong words. From which we got the famous "You can't insult your way to the presidency" quote. He also gets lots of attention for bad things, but that only would not have helped him.

Of course, the exact types of insults and the same rhetoric used by Trump would be suicide to use in the democratic primary. But that does not mean that Bernie should not denounce Hillary in the strongest of words available to him in the areas where they differ the most - economic policy and foreign policy. It's absurd that Bernie calls for more debates, only to weasel out of the action and ignore calling Hillary's bluff in these areas. I like Bernie's policies, but in the contest against Hillary I've found him to be rather spineless. But maybe he counts on her being indicted by the FBI, and wants to pick up 100% of her voters afterwards.

Also foreign policy is not Sanders strong point...he doesn't have too much insight on these types of matters

But foreign policy is Hillary's weak point. Sanders has been consistently right on every matter since the nineties, while Hillary has taken the wrong side. Her brief job as Secretary of State consists mostly of failures like the "Russian reset button". Experience does not mean that you have been a bobblehead on a shelf in the Obama administration, you must point to situations where Hillary's own unique advice and insight has shifted the course of the US to the better. If not, she would be replaceable by anyone. Frankly, I can't think of any such situations, on the contrary with her views I think she might be toxic to US foreign policy.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Also foreign policy is not Sanders strong point...he doesn't have too much insight on these types of matters

But foreign policy is Hillary's weak point. Sanders has been consistently right on every matter since the nineties, while Hillary has taken the wrong side. Her brief job as Secretary of State consists mostly of failures like the "Russian reset button". Experience does not mean that you have been a bobblehead on a shelf in the Obama administration, you must point to situations where Hillary's own unique advice and insight has shifted the course of the US to the better. If not, she would be replaceable by anyone. Frankly, I can't think of any such situations, on the contrary with her views I think she might be toxic to US foreign policy.

Yes Clinton has been following the standard " Obama idea of foreign policy " ..but for me this is exactly the right policy so why would she decide to redefine it?

So for example, 

• The USA respects the veto of the UNSC even if flawed like the initial required military intervention in Syria 
  • The USA is not automatically agreeing to the  views of historical " friends" around military intervention. So despite massive pressure from the likes of Israel and Saudi Arabia the Obama administration did not just bomb Iran. They followed the path of negotiations
  • The USA is prepared to let other countries take the military lead in regions where typically it was the USA who had to lead. Its okay if there is a perception that Russia " outmaneuvered" the USA in Syria. Its fine if Russia resolves the conflict one way or another 

I like Sanders but what are some examples of him being on the right side of policy decision since the 90'S ...I feel this would  be a subjective debate :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

All i can say, i find it amusing that she got 86% of the black vote in South Carolina, compared to someone who actually marched with MLK and got arrested while protesting during the Civil Rights-era, all while she was campaigning for Nixon.

This is the single most interesting thing this far. I am completely flummoxed by the fact that Bernie does so bad with black voters. It's not local to SC, he also did very bad with black voters in Nevada, but not with any other minorities. Truly incomprehensible, and I have not found any good explanations on the Internet either.

It's likely a combination of Blacks generally being conservative(ie more likely to back establishment candidates) and a lot of them not knowing who Bernie is. Hillary has been capitalizing on the former by appealing to their religious leaders and the latter is exacerbated by having few debates(and what debates there are happen at times people aren't likely to watch) and the lack of coverage Bernie gets in the media.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

But why would anyone vote for Hillary, even compared to the other democratic candidates

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

But why would anyone vote for Hillary, even compared to the other democratic candidates

Because there's probably a contingent that feel it's time for a female president and Jill Stein has exactly a 0% chance of winning.  Come on, Drowsy, don't you know it's current year?

:shifty:

Edit:  For the record, I don't disagree with the notion that it's about time a woman gets to "run the country" (I put that in quotes because we all know that it's the special interest groups that run the country"), though Hillary wouldn't exactly be my first choice.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

That's the most bizarre rationale I've ever heard. A candidate should be elected based on gender?

What a triumph of ideology and stupidity over politics.

Besides, she's barely human, let alone female.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

That's the most bizarre rationale I've ever heard. A candidate should be elected based on gender?

What a triumph of ideology and stupidity over politics.

Besides, she's barely human, let alone female.

That's not what I meant, for myself, anyway.  I wouldn't vote for a candidate solely, or even mostly, because they were female.  I am, though, very open to someone with a vastly different point of view, that, presumably, being a different gender from every other PotUSA would provide, taking top office.  That candidate would, of course, have to have a platform that I am agreeable to and a good not completely awful track record.

That said, I have no doubt there are plenty of people out there that would vote for Hillary based mostly on her being female.  Same as there are people that would vote for Rubio mostly based on him being Hispanic.  There are lots of idiots out there.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Or that there are a lot of idiots out there voting for Trump just because he's a white male who's said some bigoted and chauvinistic things.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Because of party, hatred of opposition would be chief ones. Other ones are down policy lines.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Or that there are a lot of idiots out there voting for Trump just because he's a white male who's said some bigoted and chauvinistic things.

Yeah, this view that  " people only vote for Hilary because she is a women " definitely doesn't apply to the vast majority of Democrats

We can see this as Sanders initially was no competition to Hilary but as the months have gone by he has gained more and more support....if Democrats only cared about gender then Sanders wouldn't be doing so well

Democrats vote on the policy objectives of candidates....if they believe the candidate and like what they hear then they would support that candidate. Its the same as the Republicans

And Hilary Clinton basically represents the Obama legacy which many Americans support and want to continue. It makes sense to me, I would vote for Hilary if I could 

John Milton 

Huh, I thought you were an ardent Bernie supporter, Bruce. What changed your mind?

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Huh, I thought you were an ardent Bernie supporter, Bruce. What changed your mind?

Bruce has always been a supporter of Hillary.  

Indeed, I am :)

But I like Sanders, its just I believe Hilary is better suited overall to be the next US president

John Milton 

Yes, the "we need to elect one of us" idiocy is a real thing, unfortunately.

Which is really ironic since the last two "one of us" candidates were the son of multimillionaire oil men (GWB) and the son of an already successful property multimillionaire (Trump) so are about as far from the Average Joe on Struggle Street as you can get. And GWB was a near unmitigated disaster, too. It's not just the US that has this phenomenon though, our Prime Minister is a multimillionaire banker (!) who is seen as just one of the guys because he admits peeing in the shower and likes to sexually harass people with pony tails seems like a nice guy to have a beer with. Though at least he is first gen wealthy and not from family wealth.