Important question and opinion :)

BruceVC

Guys it has come to my attention on several occasions that I make some comments on some occasions that are offensive to people....so for example 

In my country people like me help people make the right decision....think about it Elerond wouldnt it be better not having  to think about a solution when I can just tell you the right answer....." 

"Compare him to Trump.....you Canadians seem to be an unpatriotic bunch?"

"Remember just because I'm speaking on your behalf it doesn't mean you can't sometimes correct me...."

"..,.. tlisteningo me takes the stress over having to make your own decisions, now you can focus on other things"

I am very surprised that anyone would take this seriously...of course I'm joking. But in the interests of brevity and candor lets please be honest, I really want your views on my posting etiquette, I promise you wont offend me in anyway  and it doesn't mean I will agree but I will respect it

So let me  start..and remember its about honesty, we should be able to discuss this

We all adults, how come very few people didn't just contact me on PM...I would do that if I felt offended. But I have no issues with anyone on this forum despite the fact I know I annoy certain people but they must let me know 

Yes we had some heated debates during GG but I moved on after a few days .,...yet some people I think still carry  some sort of protracted grudge

Honestly? People must learn to get thicker skins, I live in a country where many of us engage in RL debates about racism, economic transformation, GDP and politics. Its intense, brutal, honest but rewarding....I have learnt so much about what Apartheid was and what it means to be a white, South African. I know the true suffering of many black South Africans...its real, tangible and I help deal with and we unpack it

You feel horrible as a white person but liberated and profoundly committed to the country..I am happy very happy but we major social, political and economic issues

So sorry if I can't feel resentful about gg...I moved on quickly 

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Bruce, you are not on my ignore list, so it can't be that bad.

:lol:  

I dont think we  have ever said  a bad word to each?

But yes I have been a little perhaps surprised at your lack of support for the success of Germany...which I was honest about? I don't think I was condescending...was I ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Nope, I just stopped seriously participating in political discussions on the internet, because years ago I noticed it wasn't good for my health.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I didn't realize until this year when the Malaysian crazy train derailed that an ignore list was bad for my health. You think it helps, at first, but it just reminds you to hate someone you don't know.

Good point Mani....did Qistina get to you? I remember you were noticeably annoyed the one time

She is not a good person to start believing her view is real.....I still dont know if she was a troll or not?

But I have had real debates with people like her, the secret is you have to accept she is not very informed,...she is not very bright

Her links and  " accurate "  portrayals of the West are from these websites that have only one purpose...to go into great detail " revealing " how the West wants to destroy Islam

They contain these violent and incredulous videos about things....but I tried to keep telling Qistina that the West doesnt want to destroy Islam or the ME, Muslims are doing that on there own  ;)

John Milton 

Are you asking if your posting style wears on people?  

Absolutely yes, but please explain what you mean?

I like you Hurlshort, you are a consistent, reasonable person who is a committed family man and also spends time defending things that many wouldn't because of the principle

You are a stereotypical Californian liberal and I would be proud to be that but its obvious I annoy you yet you have never actually explained to me what I do that annoys you . I am well aware of that. And you are a teacher but you can't just send me a two line PM? So yes I would love you to be honest...I would have expected it much sooner, sorry if I am being rude its just we agreed to be honest...this has nothing to do with me liking you :)

John Milton 

I remember you were noticeably annoyed the one time

Yes, I lost it when she went after service members. Tigranes immediately deleted me, and rightly, but I couldn't help it, my PT shorts became so twisted I didn't login for a week. Or three days, which is the same thing in internet time. 

But then I was all, WWSD. What would Shady do. He wouldn't hate, or react with anger. So I deleted my ignore list and it's been all namaste since. 

• Like 3

All Stop. On Screen.

Ignore list?

Ignore list? I'm not with you.,...I have never added anyone ever to any list as I find some tend to ignore me so it allows periods where I can chill 

John Milton 

Yes, I lost it when she went after service members. Tigranes immediately deleted me, and rightly, but I couldn't help it, my PT shorts became so twisted I didn't login for a week. Or three days, which is the same thing in internet time. 

But then I was all, WWSD. What would Shady do. He wouldn't hate, or react with anger. So I deleted my ignore list and it's been all namaste since. 

:lol:  dude you funny, you are as cool as a cucumber

You would tell me if I was saying anything perhaps rude in your opinion? 

John Milton 

Neat, Bruce has now graduated from making other people's threads about himself...to making his own threads literally about himself. I think my current avatar has an appropriate expression.

(e): Hey Bruce, why don't you take some of your advice and just contact the people who you feel you may have an issue with on PM? You could also follow your own advice on growing a thicker skin and not caring what other people think of you. Instead, we have...this thread. Bloody brilliant. :)

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

:lol:  WWSD before every major decision. Of course!

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Bruce, anyone who is offended by something someone wrote on the internet needs to step back and take a deep breath (no offense ManifestedISO). There are folks around who are just a------s and post things to get a rise out of someone. We have them here. Qistina was a good example but there have been many along the way. I think she might even have believed her screed but whatever. You are not one of those so don't worry about that.

If you start debating politics or social issues you are going to hear different opinions. Those opinions might be dearly held and arrived at through bitter experience so it is important to never be dismissive of them but it is also ok to challenge them. That is why we are participate in political/issues threads. It's why I do anyway. If I only wanted to hear my own opinions echoed I'd got to libertypost.org or freerepublic.com or something (well, I'm persona non grata at the latter).  It is difficult to change someone's mind on an issue but if a belief is illogical or held based on a premise that isn't true then it is possible. I have had my own opinions changed participating on this very forum. But it is more likely that the result of the conversation will be the realization that you just don't agree and never will. And that is ok too. Take you and I for example. We are never going to come to any kind of agreement on Barack Obama and his performance in office. I know what you think, you know what I think and that's that. We've still cool afterwards. Disliking someone because of a disagreement in politics is no different than disliking over a difference in what sports teams you cheer for or whether Star Trek is better than Star Wars. It would be asinine.

Your posting style is sometimes acerbic and sometimes condescending. Neither are good things but you don't do either all the time. Debate and do it vigorously and enthusiastically but also respectfully and understand that there are some mountains no lever can move. And that is not a bad thing.  Just because someone disagrees with me does not make me right and them wrong or vice versa. They just arrived at a different conclusion. Nothing wrong with that.

Just my $.02

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Neat, Bruce has now graduated from making other people's threads about himself...to making his own threads literally about himself. I think my current avatar has an appropriate expression.

(e): Hey Bruce, why don't you take some of your advice and just contact the people who you feel you may have an issue with on PM? You could also follow your own advice on growing a thicker skin and not caring what other people think of you. Instead, we have...this thread. Bloody brilliant. :)

Barti stop making suggestions that aren't relevant !!! 

I have no idea who may have an issue, as I mentioned. And the issue is they don't tell me....so I dont know

Barti you must read the post before suggesting something that is clearly already explained ....you naughty boy  :p

Oh and of course it doesn't bother me ....you know me but  if other people are getting annoyed then I would like to know

I'm all about other peoples feelings Barti  :wub:

Bruce, anyone who is offended by something someone wrote on the internet needs to step back and take a deep breath (no offense ManifestedISO). There are folks around who are just a------s and post things to get a rise out of someone. We have them here. Qistina was a good example but there have been many along the way. I think she might even have believed her screed but whatever. You are not one of those so don't worry about that.

If you start debating politics or social issues you are going to hear different opinions. Those opinions might be dearly held and arrived at through bitter experience so it is important to never be dismissive of them but it is also ok to challenge them. That is why we are participate in political/issues threads. It's why I do anyway. If I only wanted to hear my own opinions echoed I'd got to libertypost.org or freerepublic.com or something (well, I'm persona non grata at the latter).  It is difficult to change someone's mind on an issue but if a belief is illogical or held based on a premise that isn't true then it is possible. I have had my own opinions changed participating on this very forum. But it is more likely that the result of the conversation will be the realization that you just don't agree and never will. And that is ok too. Take you and I for example. We are never going to come to any kind of agreement on Barack Obama and his performance in office. I know what you think, you know what I think and that's that. We've still cool afterwards. Disliking someone because of a disagreement in politics is no different than disliking over a difference in what sports teams you cheer for or whether Star Trek is better than Star Wars. It would be asinine.

Your posting style is sometimes acerbic and sometimes condescending. Neither are good things but you don't do either all the time. Debate and do it vigorously and enthusiastically but also respectfully and understand that there are some mountains no lever can move. And that is not a bad thing.  Just because someone disagrees with me does not make me right and them wrong or vice versa. They just arrived at a different conclusion. Nothing wrong with that.

Just my $.02

Thanks GD, yeah I agree with you. I didn't think there was an issue but someone just suggested some people dont get my jokes and instead get annoyed 

So for me since I basically know everyone it just makes sense to ask and I think I have my response 

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

I have no idea who may have an issue, as I mentioned. And the issue is they don't tell me....so I dont know

You did? Where? I must have missed it. All I see is this...

But I have no issues with anyone on this forum despite the fact I know I annoy certain people

...which actually rather says the opposite, as it says you know you annoy certain people...which I would think would imply you know what certain people you annoy...

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I once ended up arguing with a friend's roommate on the merits of smearing peanut butter on his testicles(his bf was into some weird **** and he was very drunk) rather than eating it on a sandwich. Arguing with Bruce is much the same, with strange arguments being spouted in strange twists of English and the uncanny ability to say very little with many words.

At any rate I don't think you have to worry about people taking you seriously Bruce, I think they'd be more worried if they agreed with you.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

You did? Where? I must have missed it. All I see is this...

But I have no issues with anyone on this forum despite the fact I know I annoy certain people

...which actually rather says the opposite, as it says you know you annoy certain people...which I would think would imply you know what certain people you annoy...

No Barti you are completely missing another option but I can see how you may think my view is inconsistent

There are people who I know I annoy but that aren't necessarily the people who may have an issue....its potentially 2 separate groups :w00t:

I once ended up arguing with a friend's roommate on the merits of smearing peanut butter on his testicles(his bf was into some weird **** and he was very drunk) rather than eating it on a sandwich. Arguing with Bruce is much the same, with strange arguments being spouted in strange twists of English and the uncanny ability to say very little with many words.

At any rate I don't think you have to worry about people taking you seriously Bruce, I think they'd be more worried if they agreed with you.

It sounds what you are referring to is how you feel once you realize I have won the debate....thats never been a strong point of yours. You notice I often admit I'm wrong...the older you get the less relevant " being right" is  :dancing:

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

Ignore list? Oh please, such things are for mental pussies anyway. Heck, even Hitler BruceVC can say something interesting from time to time. 

Besides, i enjoy a platform were one can exchange ideas in an eloquent manner, even if the very same thing can be summarized more succinctly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icqPHsNumuU

Edited by Meshugger
  • Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Ignore list? Oh please, such things are for mental pussies anyway. Heck, even Hitler BruceVC can say something interesting from time to time.

You can still read messages from people you put on ignore. For example you can still read posts from Hitler BruceVC (or whoever you ignore) if it seems worth doing so.

I admit I use the Ignore list, even though usually its because they're people who post large volumes of what is, to me at least, dribble and I was getting carpal tunnel scrolling past walls of text.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Besides, i enjoy a platform were one can exchange ideas in an eloquent manner, even if the very same thing can be summarized more succinctly:

Guys I have to support Meshugger around this point, it would be imprudent to Ignore my posts....I do occasionally post real inspiration  :teehee:

John Milton 

Ignore list? Oh please, such things are for mental pussies anyway.

Not really. I've used the ignore list before. Not because I can't take criticism or "badthink" but because some people just never post anything worth reading. Might as well read poems on a bathroom wall. Here I sit all broken hearted... came to **** but couldn't because of patriarchy.

Besides, i enjoy a platform were one can exchange ideas in an eloquent manner,

Snrk!

Edited by TrueNeutral
  • Like 2

Guys I have to support Meshugger around this point, it would be imprudent to Ignore my posts....I do occasionally post real inspiration  :teehee:

Took me three reads to realize you wrote "imprudent" not "impudent".

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Took me three reads to realize you wrote "imprudent" not "impudent".

Thats funny....I could easily have made that mistake :lol:

John Milton