Priest for the remaining gods

Because I stop playing until 3.0, I loosed my time imagining what could be the specific talents for the priests of the 6 remaining gods. 

I came to the conclusions below.

The idea was to find 2 weapons for each god, compatible with his lore, and avoiding redundancy between gods.

I also imagined which bonus spell could be suitable for these priests. 

"Baby baby version" means that the copied spell is from an higher level than the usual priest talent bonus spell, so it has to be reduced a bit more.

Galawain :

- Hunter Bow Bonus 

- Axe Bonus 

- Baby version of Taste of the Hunt

Ondra :

- Arbalest Bonus 

- Pique Bonus 

- Baby baby version of Overwhelming Wave

Abydon :

- Blunderbuss Bonus 

- Pistol Bonus 

- Baby Baby version of Iron Skin

Rymrgand :

- Hatchet Bonus 

- Lance Bonus 

- Baby Version of Blizzard

Woedica :

- Scepter Bonus 

- Warhammer Bonus 

- Baby Version of Pain Link

Hylea :

- War Bow Bonus 

- Rapier Bonus 

- Baby version of Talon’s Reach

Do you think it would suit ?

(Too bad we cannot choose these gods, even if I understand it would be more specific lines to write for the devs. It would surely be fun to play as a priest of Woedica ! :bow: ) 

• Like 1

Okay let's be honest, Woedica would be a dagger with the scepter.  Abydon would definitely be the war hammer with some form of gun, blunderbuss does work well.  I also agree with Boeroer on the spear for Galawain. 

• Like 1

I think Rymrgand could have survival bonuses and dagger for weapon. Maybe Bad Omen could be casted?  Effecting hit chance or forcing to see nightmares, cousing panic...

Edited by ruzen

Kana - "Sorry. It seems I'm not very good at raising spirits." Kana winces. "That was unintentional."

I initially gave the spear to Galawain. But my problem was to find something fitting for Rymrgand. If someons has a suggestion...

Maybe crossbow? Crossbows and hatchets gives me an association with peasants, war, call to arms, thus "The collapse of nations and empires" and subsequent "famine".

And Ondra.. it's about oceans, seas, tides, mourning and loss. Makes me think of pirates. And sabres. Sabres and arbalests.

Edited by MaxQuest

Rymrgrand is a Northern deity whose avatar is a great hairy horned ox. That suggests archetypically Northern weapons -- the Viking battleaxe for example. I'd give battleax + pollax: that's two different-sized versions of a similar weapon, with the former archetypically Northern, the other suitably brutal and destructive, and would make a nice contrast with Eothas's flail/morning star combo.

• Like 2

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Rymrgrand is a Northern deity whose avatar is a great hairy horned ox. That suggests archetypically Northern weapons -- the Viking battleaxe for example. I'd give battleax + pollax: that's two different-sized versions of a similar weapon, with the former archetypically Northern, the other suitably brutal and destructive, and would make a nice contrast with Eothas's flail/morning star combo.

Isn't civilization on Eora more estabilished on the Southern hemisphere, though? And the Enghwithan gods are worshiped across Eora, so shouldn't he be both northern and southern?

Doesn't Rymrgand use a lot of grinding and crushing imagery?  I would think a blunt weapon would be more his speed.

Also, there's not appropriate weapon, but it'd be cool to see a priest of Woedica take on the aspect of the strangler.

Pollax for the win. It suggests both the Viking battleax and it crushes.

Going over the others --

* Mace: too noble, civilized, and knightly

* Quarterstaff: not nasty enough

* Warhammer: fits Abydon so much better

* Flail, morningstar: already taken by Eothas (and highly theme-appropriate for harvest and light)

* Club: already taken by Skaen, would fit though

* Fists: this would work thematically but would be pretty restrictive for obvious reasons

• Like 1

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Isn't civilization on Eora more estabilished on the Southern hemisphere, though? And the Enghwithan gods are worshiped across Eora, so shouldn't he be both northern and southern?

Yes, you're right, of course. I was thinking in terms of our cultural North and South. Hard to get my head out of that mode...

And Ondra.. it's about oceans, seas, tides, mourning and loss. Makes me think of pirates. And sabres. Sabres and arbalests.

Why arbalests? Sabres and pistols would be too strong?

Dunno why I had a feeling that there is a connection between tide, lament and arbalest's string.

Pistols fit the pirate theme. And arquebusses do. But they were already taken.

Pollaxe to Rymrgand seems perfect, thx !

For Ondra, I have to explain : for me, Ondra is more about tides and ocean depths than about pirates. She's a deity of mourning and forgotten things. I don't think pirates suit this theme so well... Ondra herself has little to do with guns.

Basically, I choosed weapons that could be used under sea. They should be big, slow weapons.

Therefore I choose arbalest because of modern submarine ones, and fantasy ones are often used by fishmen or similar creatures.

And Pike was for me the closest from a trident :- . I think it would be a decent weapon to fight under water.

I vote -1 on sabres and pistols since they're in the same weapon group. No other priest would get the option to stack +6 and +10 ACC on both their weapons; it wouldn't be fair.

This isn't a coincidence either.  Ondra doesn't mean pirate by the way guys ;p.  I would saw sabres could work for her and maybe keep the arbalest.

• Like 1

I'd say sabres and pikes instead. The trident association is too good to pass, and I don't see arbalests as especialy associated with people who live from or on the sea.

EDIT: on Rymrgand, I don't think battleaxes fit too well. They seem too brutal and direct, while Rymrgand is more about slow, inevitable decay. Maybe daggers fit better, as death by bleeding seems closer to his intents and domains than death by dismembering.

Edited by DreamWayfarer

Aggree with DreamWayarer.

I cant imagine Rymrgand followers to master any axe or hammer weapon. They seem to be very honored by staying in the Berath's wheel. Also The Beast of the Winter, even frightens other gods. I imagine their followers as a vey skilled at intriguing but with a pessimist nature whome oporates from shadows. Allways lurking behind the curtains. Rymrgand brings bad luck or any disasters in a dream form aswell. Collapsing nations, etc... I think they are best fitting in a Spy role. Which I imagined a dagger would be more fitting. Also the more I think about It, followers of this god should never use any revive skill what so ever. So this could be another important topic aswell.

Kana - "Sorry. It seems I'm not very good at raising spirits." Kana winces. "That was unintentional."

Personally, instead of baby versions of spells, I'd prefer a baby version of talents. They seem to be more meaningful in the game, and therefore bring more flavour to the class. I mean that Skaen's Prey On The Weak can be a base for building your character, and I'd prefere other priests had abilities of similar impact.

Personally, instead of baby versions of spells, I'd prefer a baby version of talents. They seem to be more meaningful in the game, and therefore bring more flavour to the class. I mean that Skaen's Prey On The Weak can be a base for building your character, and I'd prefere other priests had abilities of similar impact.

Yup. But it would be far harder to balance for sure.

Currently, I think priest talents are fearly OK as they are.

Skaen one is for sure above the other, and is the only one that could lead to specific build. It doesn't change balance so much as priests are more likey to concentrate on their spells, at least during capital battle.

But I admit my topic was more a way to bring a touch of lore to the current gameplay than to imagine new mechanics.

That's why I focused on weapons and baby spells :-

So, to update my initial list according to what was said in the thread :

Galawain :

- Hunter Bow Bonus

- Spear Bonus

- Baby version of Taste of the Hunt

Ondra :

- Crossbow Bonus

- Pique Bonus

- Baby baby version of Overwhelming Wave

Abydon :

- Blunderbuss Bonus

- War Hammer Bonus

- Baby Baby version of Iron Skin

Rymrgand :

- Hatchet Bonus

- Dagger Bonus

- Baby Version of Blizzard

Woedica :

- Scepter Bonus

- Battle Axe Bonus

- Baby Version of Pain Link

Hylea :

- War Bow Bonus

- Rapier Bonus

- Baby version of Talon’s Reach

I didn't want to change Ondra because there was no clear consensus to change and my initial choices were not rejected :-

But finally I replaced Arbalest by Crossbow to avoid having 2 weapons from the same group.

Another interesting detail is that each talent has one melee and one ranged weapon, which is nice for balance.

Except Rymrgand. But I do believe that Hatchet is really good for a priest due to interference so it is a good compensation.

Next step would be celebrated and condemned devil.gif behaviours...

Edited by Elric Galad

I think Ondra shouldn't be Pike and Arbalest, because both share an weapon focus, but I wouldn't oppose too strongly.

On dispositions, I think Woedica could favor Rational/Stoic and Cruel and disfavor Passionate and Clever.

Abydon is Rational and Honest, and would probably disfavor Deceptive.

Not sure about the others.

I think Ondra shouldn't be Pike and Arbalest, because both share an weapon focus, but I wouldn't oppose too strongly.

On dispositions, I think Woedica could favor Rational/Stoic and Cruel and disfavor Passionate and Clever.

Abydon is Rational and Honest, and would probably disfavor Deceptive.

Not sure about the others.

You're right. I was thinking the same. I just changed to crossbow :-

Lore-wise, it is the same after all.

Skaen already has Stiletto and Club, which share weapon focus.
Yep, but they are both melee weapons which is a kind of disavantage.

Same with Eotas.

In addition, Pike and Arbalest are among the most powerful types of weapons. Aedrin Wrecker, Tall Grass... that would be a bit too much compared to other priests.

Skaen sneak attack is... a specific case.

I think Berath is currently the worst priest talent (by a small margin) because both weapons are melee from different focus. But at least there's Tidefall.

Edited by Elric Galad

I think Berath is currently the worst priest talent (by a small margin) because both weapons are melee from different focus. But at least there's Tidefall.

Eothas has flail and morning star. Also different foci.

There are some nice flails though, including one that you can get really early so it's not all bad.