What UP spells and abilities really need buffs?

Level 7: most of these are pretty weak, with one or two exceptions.

Disagree. When it comes to 7th level spells, Wizards definitely got the best deal out of all the classes.

Concelhaut's Crushing Doom - Good damage plus it Prones with each hit, make it a great tool for stunlocking a dangerous target. The only downside is that this spell is only available after clearing Cragholdt.

Delayed Fireball - Really high burst damage, and probably the best burst spell overall due to its delayed nature. You can set it as a trap for advancing enemies or use it directly on top of them, pair it up with Reflex lowering afflictions and the damage is quite incredible. Also, it has a fast cast speed, so yeah, this one is a real winner.

Llengrath's Warding Staff - This doesn't deal as much damage as the other summoned weapons, but it does knocks back enemies with each attack, making it a really good weapon for keeping enemies off the Wizard or anyone in the party. The initial knock back is also quite good but also affects party members which can be a problem.

Ninagauth's Killing Bolt - This deals a massive amount of Raw damage and if you kill someone with it you get a Spectre in your party to help out. The Spectre has Sneak Attacks and can Stun with its auto-attacks just like the Chanter summon.

Substantial Phantom - Its identical to Essential Phantom, though it does have some decent spells to cast, with Necrotic Lance and Minoletta's Minor Missiles among them. Its a very good summon, plus it allows you to switch out Essential Phantom for another spell as well, which is nice as there's a lot of good 4th-level spells ^^

Tayn's Chaotic Orb - The afflictions it does is random but this spell is really good for three reasons. First, since it works like Chain Lightning or Firebug, this spell can disperse in a wide area. Secondly, this spell has the potential to hit the same target multiple times, which can make it very damaging if there's only a small number of enemies, especially if you factor in Combusting Wounds. Third, even if the afflictions it inflicts are random, they're all powerful ones anyway! The "weakest" out the stuff it can inflict is Sickened, but tbh, it does lower Fort, which is always welcomed anyway.

Wall of Draining - If you fight enemies with buffs, this spell is a good alternative to Arcane Dampener or Deprive of the Unworthy. This can also make your self-buffs last for an incredibly long time. This spell alone makes the final battle very easy.

Heh, I probably should've been more specific. Was running out of steam. :)

Concelhaut's Crushing Doom - one of the good ones, but yeah like you said, it takes too long to get it.

Substantial Phantom - definitely good.

---

Llengrath's Warding Staff - knocking back 1 enemy at a time isn't that great, and it doesn't hit very hard. It's amusing to use, but I don't see it winning battles.

Wall of Draining - it works, but it's very very situational. I don't like when a level 7 spell is marginally better than a level 4 spell.

Ninagauth's Killing Bolt - slow cast speed, single target, and the damage is a fraction of Cipher's Disintegration. The specter isn't exciting ... that's like, a Chanter level 1 ability :)

Delayed Fireball - yeah, that's a good point about fast cast. Maybe I should give it another shot. It just always seemed a bit weak for level 7. If I just want to throw some AOE damage around, I can use Kalakoth's Minor Blights or Ninagauth's ice spells or Citzal's Spirit Lance or pretty much any Druid spell.

Tayn's Chaotic Orb - I don't get why people like this. Just about every lower level control/debuff spell is better, right? (edit 3: explained below, this spell is good because it can bounce between 2 targets)

(Edit 2: I think Wizard level 7 is a bit misleading because you have so many choices. But it only matters if 3/rest uses are well spent. Personally I'd take Storm of Holy Fire or Minor Avatar over most of the Wizard choices.)
Edited by delfador

Tayn's Chaotic Orb - I don't get why people like this. Just about every lower level control/debuff spell is better, right? (edit: and to expand on this ... if your target is immune to some types of CC or you want to stack different types, having a spell that randomly applies different kinds of CC isn't helpful.)

The spell hits up to 6 times, and does the same damage as Crushing Doom with each hit, so its quite potent if you stack it with the very same spell. Also if there's only two enemies for example, the spell with bounce back and forth between them, which makes the spell excellent for stacking damage with Combusting Wounds, and very damaging spell overall.

The afflictions are a nice bonus, I usually get good things out of it, maybe I'm just lucky. On the other hand, when it comes to Wild Leech I seemingly always get the Resolve drain... which isn't so lucky most of the time =/

Delayed Fireball - yeah, that's a good point about fast cast. Maybe I should give it another shot. It just always seemed a bit weak for level 7. If I just want to throw some AOE damage around, I can use Kalakoth's Minor Blights or Ninagauth's ice spells or Citzal's Spirit Lance or pretty much any Druid spell.

I'll confess, I still prefer Ninagauth's Freezing Pillar over this anyway >_> Edited by Wolken3156
  • Like 1

The Chaotic Orb is my number one spell if there are two sturdy enemies standing side by side. Most of the time they are dead afterwards. Not only does the orb cause massive damage three times in a row - it also causes an affliction that can lead to even higher damage the next time it hits.

I like this spell a lot. It's not so cool against more than three foes though.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I love so much the concept of a spell specifically adapted against exactly 2 foes.

Could have been called "lover's bane".

How jump spells work has never been very clear for me.

I made a few experiments on Chain Healing in order to determine if it has specific uses.

I had no clear conclusion about how the next target of the jump is chosen.

Is chain healing the ultimate heal for 2 character party ? 

Edited by Elric Galad

The Chaotic Orb is my number one spell if there are two sturdy enemies standing side by side. Most of the time they are dead afterwards. Not only does the orb cause massive damage three times in a row - it also causes an affliction that can lead to even higher damage the next time it hits.

I like this spell a lot. It's not so cool against more than three foes though.

Aha, makes sense! Had no idea it could bounce between two targets like that--only tried it against groups. Thanks Wolken3156 & Boeroer for explaining :)

Elemental DR duration is incredibly short, could really go from 10 to 15 second duration, and also really seems like the kind of spell that should be fast cast so you can throw it down in reaction to an enemy spell.

You call it 'incredibly short' and then suggest to increase duration by only 5 seconds? Consider working as Obsidian designer since they like small to moderate buffs, unless you hate huge nerfs because they like them too.

Lvl 2 wizard spell Bulwark Against Elements is single target and has 60 sec duration. Why shouldn't lvl 7 druid spell that does same thing have same duration? It's AoE but it's whole 5 spell levels higher.

As for now if i need elemental protection i'd just quaff bulwark potions.

Critical Focus - according to math it's effect needs to be tripled

Purge of Toxins - it's like Prayer Against X spells with an exception of being SINGLE target. Can't understand design desicion behind this

Infestation of Maggots - either i don't know how to use it, it's is bugged or it's actually incredibly UP

Woodskin - Armor of Faith, i'll say that much

Web - utter trash but i heard they are going to change it's debuff to Stuck (exactly what i wanted BTW) so i'm going to hold my judgement

Holy Power - believe it or not but it's AOE is so small you can't make a party formation that would be fully covered by this spell, unless you have inhuman intellect (or use less than 6 ppl)

One-handed weapon style - if it's supposed to be talent for 1H weapon users (as it's name suggests) than it's not just UP, it's simply badly designed. Very badly. But if it's supposed to be another talent for 1H+shield users then it's ok

Great thread BTW, UP stuff should be discussed more as it's a bigger problem than OP.

Vancian =/= per rest.