Manhea - New video with Carrie Patel

http://www.pcgamesn.com/pillars-of-eternity/maneha-pillars-of-eternity

...and an article too, apparently (though without Carrie Patel.)

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Dimitri wasn't kidding about her outfit being badass.

If I may inject a bit of constructive criticism, however, I would say her face on the character model looks a tad too big. I know she's supposed to have a strong jawline, but when I first saw her in the video (level-up screen) I thought "fat face", rather than "strong jawline."

That said, that whirlwind attack move she does in the video is pretty cool. Must be the new high-level ability for barbarians.

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

The whirlwind looks amazing indeed.

Is the jumping attack a standard skill for barbarians? It's the only class I've never played, so I can't tell if it's a special attack of Maneha or not.

Either way, I can't wait to play with her! I only hope we don't get her too late in the game.

Edited by SkySlam

Edér, I am using WhatsApp!

Most interesting part of the video: There will be new buildings or areas in Stalwart. Look for yourselves at min 0.32. 

They showed a new merchant in Stalwart in the Twitch stream too.

Is the jumping attack a standard skill for barbarians?

Yep, it's the high-level ability they got in TWM pt. I ("Dragon Leap"). Very cool.

• Like 1

Most interesting part of the video: There will be new buildings or areas in Stalwart. Look for yourselves at min 0.32.

If you look closely at the footage in the Maneha companion video, you can also tell that some areas have been repurposed. The former temple of Ondra seems to have been crudely refashioned as a temple to Abydon (either that or a simple smithy, but the symbol reminded me of Abydon).

EDIT: I thought I was in the livestream thread! But the point still stands.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

They showed a new merchant in Stalwart in the Twitch stream too.

Is the jumping attack a standard skill for barbarians?

Yep, it's the high-level ability they got in TWM pt. I ("Dragon Leap"). Very cool.

Yes, and the mines reopened!

Sorry to be the negative Nicholas in the thread but Maneha's Armour looks perfectly designed for a foe who wishes to gut or hobble her with the lack of covering on midriff and legs. The jump is a little too high, it reminds me of anime silliness or the final boss in DA2 who zooms off into space, check out the Gladiator's Stomping Jump special attack in Sacred Gold for a much better implemented version, in my opinion of course.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I agree with Nonek in that the jump looks little too high for my taste.  As for the armor... meh?  It looks fine, she is a barbarian traveling the world.  It wouldn't make sense for her to be rolling around in plate armor or some other heavy kit.  I do find it funny that she is hanging out in a cold snowy hell hole wearing it though, can't be too warm.

• Like 1

As for the armor... meh?  It looks fine, she is a barbarian traveling the world.  It wouldn't make sense for her to be rolling around in plate armor or some other heavy kit.

It doesn't look fine to me, what is the use of any armour that leaves massive amounts of vulnerable areas bare of protection? There of course is none. A simple gambeson would solve this, or a mail coat, she does not have to be wearing field plate merely something that is fit for purpose as armour, rather than the strange get up she is currently dressed in.

If she were a Monk wishing to get hit I could understand this, but as a frontliner she should know the value of armour and dress appropriately for battle, look at Conan who was always equipped in the very best harness he could afford as a sensible precaution. There are far too many vulnerable organs around the midriff, and of course being hobbled will diminish ones effectiveness (and ability to travel or Lord forbid the femural artery is cut) drastically, why hand an enemy this gift when a little cheap equipment would cover and protect these areas?

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

If she were a Monk wishing to get hit I could understand this, but as a frontliner she should know the value of armour and dress appropriately for battle, look at Conan who was always equipped in the very best harness he could afford as a sensible precaution.

Fair enough, but most of the time for Conan that meant wearing a simple leather jerkin, no shirt at all, or just loose fitting clothes with maybe a pelt or something over it.  Trust me, I have read just about every conan book and more often than not he wore little to no armor or light armor that left plenty exposed at best.

• Like 1

If she were a Monk wishing to get hit I could understand this, but as a frontliner she should know the value of armour and dress appropriately for battle, look at Conan who was always equipped in the very best harness he could afford as a sensible precaution.

Fair enough, but most of the time for Conan that meant wearing a simple leather jerkin, no shirt at all, or just loose fitting clothes with maybe a pelt or something over it.  Trust me, I have read just about every conan book and more often than not he wore little to no armor or light armor that left plenty exposed at best.

In Queen of the Black Coast Conan is armoured in the finest mail of the Hyborian nations, and earns fame as the iron giant beside Belit. When leading armies or serving as a mercenary he wears stout mail again or full plate harness. In the Frost Giants Daughter he is clad in stout mail of the Aesir once more. It is only when working as a thief in Zingara and other early years adventures (or later when it is convenient such as in Offir) that he wears a simple leather jack or less. When adventuring in the east on the steppe or with the Zuagir or Afghuli he apes their dress, the flowing robes or traditional mountain outfit. Of course in his piratical adventures he often wears very little, whether that is serving on the Vilayet or in the great seas of the west, but that is once again only practical.

I have also read all of Howard's work and Conan was nothing less than practical in every aspect of his character, this included arming and armouring himself.

Edit: Though admittedly his impulsive and rash nature could ocassionally get him in trouble, such as when he pursues Valeria into the no mans lands south of Kush.

Edited by Nonek

Tea for the teapot!

Edit: Though admittedly his impulsive and rash nature could ocassionally get him in trouble, such as when he pursues Valeria into the no mans lands south of Kush.

That's one way of putting it.  Truthfully I always hated that he was called "Conan the Barbarian".  In all honesty he isn't really much of a barbarian, he was just an adventurer who happened to be from fairly barbaric lands.  By the end he was fairly well educated and plenty cultured.  But anyway enough side tracking.  I still think her outfit is fine and Housefly makes a good point about it possibly being ceremonial.  Definitely too skimpy for white march travel though....

Sorry to be the negative Nicholas in the thread but Maneha's Armour looks perfectly designed for a foe who wishes to gut or hobble her with the lack of covering on midriff and legs. The jump is a little too high, it reminds me of anime silliness or the final boss in DA2 who zooms off into space, check out the Gladiator's Stomping Jump special attack in Sacred Gold for a much better implemented version, in my opinion of course.

Maybe it's a custom Hide Armor? That's the one kind of armor in existing PoE that has this problem.

But otherwise I agree with your sentiment. I've been happy with the look of most PoE armors. It's nice when the armor looks functional & protective.

Maneha's armor is classed as Hide armor internally. It's not meant to be armor per se, in the sense that plate or brigandine is. It is Maneha's outfit that has been assembled over a lot of time throughout her travels, so it's a unique appearance custom to her. But due to the nature of our pipeline anyone will be able to equip it of course (Male Orlans look best in it!). Yes it's true it doesn't even make sense in the snowy environment, but I feel like this is an outfit that adds flavor to the base game, a player can take it past the expansions. We picked a cold setting for White March, but I was glad to be able to create art that was not all about fur and hide, as one would expect (applies to creatures too). There should be neat surprises sprinkled throughout the expansion. 

Josh and I are in agreement that armor should be realistic and functional, and if POE2 happens, expect that to carry over, perhaps even stronger than in Eternity 1, with more care and attention to detail. Functionality always comes first. That said, this is a fantasy game and we will deviate if it enriches the story of a character or a group of characters, or because the artists wanted to do something special. But there is definitely a harsh limit to embellishment, don't expect us to go WoW. 

I love Conan designs too, and the whole world. 

3ziAO6P.jpg

• Like 13

There should be neat surprises sprinkled throughout the expansion. 

Josh and I are in agreement that armor should be realistic and functional, and if POE2 happens, expect that to carry over, perhaps even stronger than in Eternity 1, with more care and attention to detail. Functionality always comes first. That said, this is a fantasy game and we will deviate if it enriches the story of a character or a group of characters, or because the artists wanted to do something special. But there is definitely a harsh limit to embellishment, don't expect us to go WoW.

My thanks know no boundaries.

• Like 1

Maneha's armor is classed as Hide armor internally. It's not meant to be armor per se, in the sense that plate or brigandine is. It is Maneha's outfit that has been assembled over a lot of time throughout her travels, so it's a unique appearance custom to her. But due to the nature of our pipeline anyone will be able to equip it of course (Male Orlans look best in it!). Yes it's true it doesn't even make sense in the snowy environment, but I feel like this is an outfit that adds flavor to the base game, a player can take it past the expansions. We picked a cold setting for White March, but I was glad to be able to create art that was not all about fur and hide, as one would expect (applies to creatures too). There should be neat surprises sprinkled throughout the expansion. 

I love Conan designs too, and the whole world. 

3ziAO6P.jpg

Well to be fair it may well be that I am far too anal about these things, I have a natural inclination to practicality, perhaps at the expense of artistic creativity and more outrageous displays. However to argue against my own position for a moment one could bring up a host of "supposedly" barbaric warriors whom eschewed armour, such as the Woad Warriors of the Celts who were naked, the Zulu nations, the DaHomey warrior women, and Maoris, which would be especially pertinent considering the Ooh Mamas somewhat Polynesian bearing.

There is also the infamous Viking Berserker, however I have read accounts of Berserks wearing heavy mail that no blade can pierce (maybe Byzantine Cataphract armour?) and not appearing as the half dressed madmen, which is the usual depiction. Indeed i'm of the mind that Berserk may be an almost Shamanic title, but that's another matter.

Personally i'm very pleased with Poes art, it is exemplary and sets it apart from the usual, I applaud Messrs Berman and Sawyer for going down this route and blazing a trail which is rare in modern, western RPGs. I am perhaps so critical because the standard throughout the game is so high, and I enjoy that immensely. In fact i'd like to see this verisimilitude extended to other aspects of the game. It is a good point that fantastical designs should ocassionally break this design, to emphasise their unique nature.

• Like 5

Tea for the teapot!

Maneha was a fun character to design because she is worldly, traveled and sociable... but also, technically, a barbarian. A more conventional image of a barbarian might be someone wearing battle trophies or skins and skulls or whatnot, signs that they have barbarianed the heck out of some big critters. Maneha is very capable of that, which is why she has that big ol tooth or claw necklace on top of everything else, but I thought the places she has been would have more visibly affected her than the things she has killed. So, as someone with a predisposition for bling and a preoccupation with memories, everywhere she goes she picks up a shiny souvenir and finds a place for it.

• Like 4