Weird Idionsyncrasies?

What weird idiosyncrasies do you have?  For example, if I play a paladin with lay on hands, I never use it on that character unless there is no other character who is currently wounded.  My cleric always uses his or her last healing spell spell on another character.  My characters never use or learn a spell that inflicts instant death on a creature.  No disintegration or 'finger of death.'  I surely can't be alone.  Does anyone else suffer from this curious afflicition that assails me?

bother?

Well, I'm not wild about the "finger of death/disintegreation" either, but mainly because I don't like moves that rely on randomness. I think a lot of gamers feel this way. You'd rather have guaranteed damage than role a dice. And anyway, bosses are always immune to things like that.

I'm an inveterate aesthetics bitch and always want my party members to look badass individually and pleasing altogether. I'm often willing to sacrifice some efficiency for looking good even though I'm a powergamer at heart.

• Like 3

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Yeah, min-maxing, trying to get maximum efficiency out of the main character but also make him wear that hat.. Or finding a better armor, which happens to look like a pajama. So to the stash it goes.

Also being unable to MC as barbarian, paladin or priest. Zealotry prohibited.

• Like 1

Yeah, I tend to stack mental attributes on my PC, partly because he's got to be able to talk to NPCs and partly because I always end up playing casters.

I used to avoid using consumables and save them for the "big" fight, but I got tired of ending a game looking like a traveling apothecary. Nowadays, I try to use them judiciously.

bother?

I have an idea for a challenge. Every now and then, when exploring wilderness areas, your party members take turns to attack and defeat encounters one at a time. Only one party member carries out the fight, and the others supposedly observe how he goes about it, and only intervene if he goes down.

I'm currently doing a Bleak Walker PC game, and imagine I'm leading a band of grizzled mercs who do this thing for fun and for proving their strength.

- Added rule - if a party member fails particularly badly, he may be dismissed from the party.

Edited by Gairnulf
  • Like 1

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

On my female tank Paladin playthrough, I let her wear Brigandine armor throughout most the game even though I found Plate armor which would have offered more protection - because in Brigandine she simply looked much more stylish... :D

• Like 1

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

Oh, yeah, that reminds me—I only play female characters in this game because they look better in plate armor and brigandine.

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Oh, yeah, that reminds me—I only play female characters in this game because they look better in plate armor and brigandine.

Me too, though it's not just armor. Many of the unarmored sets of clothing also look much better on female characters.

Here's an example (which I've probably posted before):

4fMoE5Z.jpgAN3gFtd.jpg

Both of these character have exactly the same attributes, except for their sex.

Both are wearing the exact same clothing item: DvgDGkW.jpg

But for some reason, the powers that be decided that a set of clothing which is a stylish coat when worn by a woman, should transform into a crappy potato sack when worn by a man... :(

Add to this the fact that the best scripted companions (in my opinion) are male, and I'm pretty much forced to make all my PCs and hirelings female if I want a somewhat balanced and stylish party.

Edited by Ineth
  • Like 2

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

I guess it's supposed to represent the different styles worn by men and women in the Dyrwood, but that's pretty striking.  Also, clothes are clothes.  If you pick up an outfit at a store, I can see the assumption that you've bought an outfit comforming to societal norms, but if you pick up an outfit off some chump you just offed, then you'd think it would be what it is.  On the other hand, it seems like the armor you get off dead folks is always in good repair which is odd considering you just spent some time and effort destroying it in order to kill the poor bastard inside.

Ah, failings of simulation in an RPG!

Edited by why

bother?

Well, I'm not wild about the "finger of death/disintegreation" either, but mainly because I don't like moves that rely on randomness. I think a lot of gamers feel this way. You'd rather have guaranteed damage than role a dice. And anyway, bosses are always immune to things like that.

In, say, AD&D games like BG2 they're based on saving throws - although of course save for zero effect is different from, say, save for half damage. And 'bosses' aren't immune because most of them operate by normal rules. You can FoD Firkraag with enough Lower Resistances and Malisons, for example. Always a great moment.

I finaly managed to make a main character who has relatively low mental attributes(for a non-minmaxer, of course). But another of my Idiosyncrasies is making a normal build then switching some attributes around. So instead of uping at least Resolve or Per, I made a character who is a damage dealing warrior with 16 INT.

WHY?

ps:It is actualy working well. Outlander's frenzy per-encounter is very helpful for mid-high INT warriors.

Edited by DreamWayfarer