Question about patch 3.0 Act III high-level content scaling

No, it doesn't.

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Anyone know specifics yet for what levels trigger the scaling option for each area? Someone mentioned level 9 for WM1, but would like to know the others so I can make sure I will trigger them when I get to those spots in the game. Also, is it pretty clear when you're about to start WM2? I don't know what the trigger is because I haven't played the game since finishing it on 1.0 and just recently started a new trial of iron run; no go backs for me on playthroughs...

Struggling a little bit with setting the scalers. I can ToggleScaler <PX1_HIGH_LEVEL> which then shows this as an active scaler, but if I try any of the oother three it just repeats active scaler PX1_HIGH_LEVEL, even if I go from no scalers and type <PX2_HIGH_LEVEL> it will say that PX1 is the active one! How do I set them all to active?!

After finishing WM2, I decided to go through Act IV again for my "final" playthrough in preparation for POE2 (...I hope!).

I enabled "high level" scaling. I can appreciate that the devs tried to increase the challenge, but I found that my party that finished WM1 and WM2 still breezed through Act IV. The final battle was still more difficult than average, but nothing like some of the WM1 and WM2 fights.

Without spoiling anything, I generally like the "final battle" in a game like this to have matching numbers on each side.

BG1 = 4

Sarevok

Tazok

Angelo

Semaj

BG2: SOA = 5

Slayer (Irenicus)

Balor (2)

Glabrezu (2)

BG2: TOB (with Ascension) = 6

Melissan

The Five

Perhaps POE's antagonist could get some help from

two animats/shades/Leaden Key agents, preferably a rogue and a mage, since Woedica already has a priest and two "fighters" in her party

to even things out?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey (you wondrous bunch of gamers) 

This might be stupid question, but I haven't watch game development for about year...the game includes scaling now? In which form? Only for WM I and II content or everywhere?

I hope its only for WN content...

Pillars of Eternity has 4 possible spots to activate 'High Level Scaling';

- Entering The White March Pt. 1

- Entering The White March Pt. 2

- Beginning Act 3

- Jumping into the pit in Burial Isle

Each of these require different levels for the prompt to appear. You can answer 'Yes, I would like high level scaling' or 'No, I do not want high level scaling'.

With high level scaling 'ON', selected encounters throughout the area it has been engaged will be increased in level difficulty by 33%. For example: a level 3 enemy will be increased to level 4.

I got your backs

-Sking 

I am confused here.

I am playing PotD with patch 3 but without the expansions. I just entered Act III (Elmshore) at level 10 and the game is asking me if I want the enemies to scale up.

Questions:

- Since I don't have the expansions, I expect that my level cap is at 12, right? This used to be the case with patch 2.

- Does the proposed scale up understand that I am capped at level 12? Will the hard fights later be doable if I choose to scale up?

Sorry to say that this design is utterly confusing, folks. Anyway, I am looking for a challenge and I am finding the game too easy, so I 'll probably choose to scale up. Hopefully Act III will still be doable with a level cap of 12.

Edited by Trashos

It probably will. Scaling ups the ante by 33% (if PotD is any indication, the ante is enemies' Accuracy and Defenses.)

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Anyone know specifics yet for what levels trigger the scaling option for each area? Someone mentioned level 9 for WM1, but would like to know the others so I can make sure I will trigger them when I get to those spots in the game. Also, is it pretty clear when you're about to start WM2? I don't know what the trigger is because I haven't played the game since finishing it on 1.0 and just recently started a new trial of iron run; no go backs for me on playthroughs...

I am also interested in this , would like to know what levels i have to be to enable high level scalling on WM1 , Wm2 , Act 3 , act 4

If I rested after completing WM1 in a non-White March area before hitting level 12, does that mean I already missed the option to scale up WM2 content? Or will I get another prompt when going back to Stalwart? Is the option to scale WM2 even at level 12, or do I have that number wrong?

Fairly sure it is level 12 for PX2 (IIRC it was confirmed by a dev.)

Should be 9 for PX1; not sure for Act III (used to be 14 for Act IV; not sure whether that changed.)

If you get there earlier and still want scaling, you can activate it via console (but it will likely only apply to areas you haven't visited yet, so better console it in before you enter the relevant Act/content.)

Fairly sure it is level 12 for PX2 (IIRC it was confirmed by a dev.)

Should be 9 for PX1; not sure for Act III (used to be 14 for Act IV; not sure whether that changed.)

If you get there earlier and still want scaling, you can activate it via console (but it will likely only apply to areas you haven't visited yet, so better console it in before you enter the relevant Act/content.)

Level 12, ok awesome thanks Andrea. Its kinda silly how difficult it is to figure this stuff out. Do you know when the 'trigger' is to get the prompt? Or in other words, where is the "there" in your "If you get there earlier and still wanting scaling..." Is it just returning back to Stalwart?

I do not, unfortunately, though it is likely when you click on Stalwart to get there again after finishing PX1 (triggers typically occur before loading the first area they'll affect.)

I found the scaling pretty harsh in Elmshore (which is a good thing), that group of ogres by that cave was numbering into the early teens it seemed which is pretty daunting for a solo PotD run. I didn't really notice the WM part I scaling, after that initial bit in Stalwart (which was really hard due to not being able to rest) subsequent areas seemed much easier. I'm now re-rolling, so I can't comment on WM part II.

Some of PX2 is pretty easy even when scaled, if you hit the cap beforehand. However, the Ondrite Monks and some of the Vithrak fights still offer a decent challenge.

I was fairly underwhelmed by the Kraken fight, though. Huge missed opportunity, imho. I might elaborate more on a separate thread about PX2 in general, if I get to that.

Just finished upscaled Act 4 on Hard at level 14. It was far too easy and anticlimactic, would have been a joke if I was level 16. Shades died in seconds and the drakes were no threat. Thaos could have been tricky if he had more allies but he wasn't too much of a problem. The entire Act needs to be upscaled more and the final battle would benefit from being reworked to be more like the dragon encounters. Don't expect any of this to happen at this late stage in PoE's existence though. 

As I understand, the upscaling increases the level of enemies by 33%. Don't suppose there's a way to increase that percentage through hex-editing or something?

I manifested a similar concern when they said it would be 33%. The moment you make scaling optional, why not crank it to 11 too?