Question about patch 3.0 Act III high-level content scaling

So patch 3.0 is supposed to introduce high-level scaling for players who start Act III at a high level.  However, what happens if you start Act III (say, enter Twin Elms) at a lower level, don't start any of the questing, and then return later to finish the Act III content at a higher level?  Does the high-level scaling only perform a check at the very beginning of Act III, or will it dynamically scale?

As an example, say I begin Act III at level 7.  I clear the content in

Blood Sands

but don't do anything else.  Later on, I return to the Act III portions at level 13.  If I start the content in

Burial Isle

at this point, will that content feature high-level scaling or not?

This might be stupid question, but I haven't watch game development for about year...the game includes scaling now? In which form? Only for WM I and II content or everywhere?

I hope its only for WN content...

You're asking this because many people somehow forget to mention, when talking about level scaling in PoE, that it's completely optional. So in 10 years I can see people saying BUT PoE had it toooo while discussing the "pros" of mandatory level scaling. Just like "BG2 had it too"! Even though only a minuscule percentage of encounters in BG2 are scaled (generic additional enemies, mainly undead). Named enemy encounters are always fixed, for example, and there are many of those.

• Like 1

Hey (you wondrous bunch of gamers) 

This might be stupid question, but I haven't watch game development for about year...the game includes scaling now? In which form? Only for WM I and II content or everywhere?

Pillars of Eternity has 4 possible spots to activate 'High Level Scaling';

- Entering The White March Pt. 1

- Entering The White March Pt. 2

- Beginning Act 3

- Jumping into the pit in Burial Isle

Each of these require different levels for the prompt to appear. You can answer 'Yes, I would like high level scaling' or 'No, I do not want high level scaling'.

With high level scaling 'ON', selected encounters throughout the area it has been engaged will be increased in level difficulty by 33%. For example: a level 3 enemy will be increased to level 4.

I got your backs

-Sking 

• Like 5

Sking,

just some feedback about level scaling here (unfortunately I have no access to the beta patch so I can only base my judgment on what you wrote).

Isn't a 33% difficulty boost too little?

If memory serves, Act III was originally meant to be feasible by parties that only played through the critical path, which would put most encounters around level 8-9 tops. If you boost them by 33%, you're looking at encounters balanced for level 11-12. Completionists could reach those levels in the main game with no expansions—so a 33% boost would have been a good idea for the base game—but now, completionists will range levels 14-16. If encounters scale up to 11-12, completionists will still ROFLSTOMP everything. What's the point of scaling, then?

Could you suggest to the team to implement something more aggressive? Completionists deserve some love too. We need content for level 14-16 durgan-steel-packed parties :)

Edited by AndreaColombo

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Hey Sking,

thanks for the clarification.

That would put "regular" Act III at around 10-11 (on PotD of course), with scaling up to 13-14. It's definitely better, but might still be too little for completionists once TWM pt. II drops. If the possibility exists to make Act III scale up to 15-16, that would be A. Oh well, if not :)

Cheers!

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Hey Sking,

thanks for the clarification.

That would put "regular" Act III at around 10-11 (on PotD of course), with scaling up to 13-14. It's definitely better, but might still be too little for completionists once TWM pt. II drops. If the possibility exists to make Act III scale up to 15-16, that would be A. Oh well, if not :)

Cheers!

The easy solution for your problem would be to play act III before playing the white march part 2 ;)

Sking,

What are the level break points for being able to upgrade?

Before it was level nine entering White March you got the option to upgrade.

It's still level 9 for WM I. Dunno about the others tho.

Edited by Tanred

Is there a way to force all scaling from the start ? I would like to run IE mod with reduced XP, force scaling and sit back and not worry about it getting to easy for the rest of the playthrough.

You can enable scaling via console at any time. Search the forum for the codes; they were posted by BMac.

Is there a way to force all scaling from the start ? I would like to run IE mod with reduced XP, force scaling and sit back and not worry about it getting to easy for the rest of the playthrough.

Yep. It's called ToggleScaler <scaler>.  You can use Tab to cycle through the options for the <scaler> parameter, they should be mostly self-explanatory.  It also doesn't count as a cheat.  ShowScalers will also help.

It tries to automatically complete whatever you're typing.  So you if you type Toggl and starting hitting Tab it will cycle through commands that start with that.  I just checked and you do have to type at least one letter for the parameters for it to work (i.e. ToggleScalers P).  The scalers are PX1_HIGH_LEVEL, ACT4_HIGH_LEVEL, ELMSHORE_HIGH_LEVEL, PX2_HIGH_LEVEL

EDIT: if it doesn't work you may need to execute one command first.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/82857-300-patch-teased-by-josh-on-sa/page-20

• Like 2

Hey (you wondrous bunch of gamers) 

Pillars of Eternity has 4 possible spots to activate 'High Level Scaling';

- Beginning Act 3

Each of these require different levels for the prompt to appear. You can answer 'Yes, I would like high level scaling' or 'No, I do not want high level scaling'.

With high level scaling 'ON', selected encounters throughout the area it has been engaged will be increased in level difficulty by 33%. For example: a level 3 enemy will be increased to level 4.

I got your backs

-Sking 

Hi! Could you let us know what is a good level to enter WM part II unscaled/scaled in order to avoid stomping through it? I have my party at lvl 13 now at the end of Act II, playing on POTD difficulty. I remember that someone from OBS gave very helpful advice to do the siege of Cragholdt around lvl 12, I am now looking for similar info on the WM part II.

Also, why not just scale at least some enemies up to the player´s level, rather than just by 33%? This would ensure that even completionists doing all content still have some challenges. :)

p.s. I tried the upscaled Act III on the beta patch at lvl 13 on POTD and it was a bit of stomp, would be happy if it was harder.

Edited by Enkeli

The deve specifically asked for feedback on Act III scaling when the beta patch was released. Commentary is fair.

Not sure how his request concerning appropriate level for TWM pt II areas comes into it.

The deve specifically asked for feedback on Act III scaling when the beta patch was released. Commentary is fair.

Not sure how his request concerning appropriate level for TWM pt II areas comes into it.

It comes in as one way to help ensure that we get a challenge. For example, if we find out that TWM pt II upscaled content is meant to be started at lvl 12, then I will know that my lvl 13 party should skip the early side quests (or maybe do them but not claim the rewards). On the other hand, if we find out that it is upscaled to lvl 14, then I will know that I can do all the side quests without worrying that the rest of TWM pt II will become easier.

For me the best option would be to have the optional level scaling happen according to the player´s level - then I know I could experience all the content at a challenging level, as I believe (hope) it was meant to be.

Inspector, sorry if I offended with my remarks on Act III upscaled content, I was merely attempting to give feedback as AndreaColumbo stated. I am super excited for TWM part II and glad to have such a good RPG to play.

Enkeli, my answer was entirely for Inspector. I wondered how your asking the devs what the optimal level would be for TWM pt. II would render your commentary of Act III level scaling invalid. Because it doesn't.

I would love for an optional scaling that cranked Act III and IV all the way up to level 16. Completionists will easily be able to approach that level by the time they get there (maybe make Elmshore and some of the tier II and III bounties level 14-15) and they'd still be able to get a challenge.

As it is, if you're a completionist and/or like to optimize your builds, you inevitably end up ROFLSTOMPING everything in sight by the time you get to Act III. Basically you stop having fun the moment real fun is supposed to begin.

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 2

Andrea, maybe I shouldn´t have quoted you because that tends to give the impression of disagreement. Actually I knew that you understand and meant to simply explain the relation of my two requests further in case people found it confusing. I´ve really liked your posts on this issue and am in complete agreement.

• Like 1

If I undertood correctly the game check your level in 4 points these:

- Beginning Act 3

If i remenber correclty the game ask for upgrade dificult in WMI with level 9. Someone know the level for the others 3  parts?

Edited by Aranduin

IIRC it's level 12 for TWM pt. II.

• Like 1