I think characters should get a couple of free talents at the start

There are a lot of talents that I always use for my characters and some I don't often take and some rubbish that I will never take, especially in the utility talents section - I mean, who would ever take field triage???

I think it would be better to remove this crap and offer them to each character on creation, one for their area they come from and one for their background. I mean just the least used crap that no one in their right mind would take on leveling up

Then you could offer talents* that would have something to do with the character and help role playing... those from the cold areas of the world could get a bonus against cold damage, mercenaries could get an extra weapon slot etc. or just let PCs choose 1 for the area choice and one for their background from a choice of more roleplaying based talents.

* Maybe some of the modifier talenst/abilities in the defence section too.

Edited by ArnoldRimmer
  • Like 1

I will normally have two characters with Field Triage, it's avery useful get-you-home talent that I use a lot.

As I play on normal I don't have a lot of use for the defensive talents but I know many people do.

The limited number of talents you get with a char means that you have real choices to make when levelling up, some talents are good in isolation, some are only viable for specific character builds and some only become great in combination with others. There are very few that are simply poor and almost none that are only fit for use as fertiliser.

As for getting a bunch of talents at character creation I don't agree, the current perks are sufficient without throwing the whole of the early game out of balance.

Actually it doesn't raise the actual health at all atm - just the max health. Or I just had a bug. I drank a potion and literally nothing happened except that my max health was higher. :) I will have to do more tests...

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the mild thread necro, but I'm going back thru old threads for reasons of my own, and hit this one ...

For what it's worth, Field Triage and Wound Binding heal HEALTH, not END.  Thus, as I read it, other than resting, they are the only way to recover lost HEALTH, which might have some value, particularly at higher difficulties if you've run out of camping supplies and have a character on extremely low health.  I don't know if this talent is usable outside of combat.  And I've never taken either of them.  But I won't say that they're totally useless.  Just rather situational.

Can be used in and out of combat. I normally take it if I'm trying to see how few rests I can get through the game on. Otherwise it's pretty useless with how frequently the game lets you rest.

As the the actual topic....I wouldn't mind if we there was some other...utility section, and every 4 levels or something we got to pick a 'utility' talent or some such, and just remove them from the general talent pool.

I'd also like to add racial talents to the general talent pool they one can take on level up, similar to how classes add class talents currently.

Edited by Teioh_White

Can be used in and out of combat. I normally take it if I'm trying to see how few rests I can get through the game on. Otherwise it's pretty useless with how frequently the game lets you rest.

As the the actual topic....I wouldn't mind if we there was some other...utility section, and every 4 levels or something we got to pick a 'utility' talent or some such, and just remove them from the general talent pool.

I'd also like to add racial talents to the general talent pool they one can take on level up, similar to how classes add class talents currently.

Some comments in reply.

1. I wouldn't mind seeing racial talents removed entirely.  Why?  Because IMO the current racial talents pigeon hole each race/subrace into specific classes.  For example, if you're going to play any sort of ranged character, who wouldn't want the Wood Elven racial ability?  Admittedly, this could end up homogenizing the races.  But from my RP perspective, I'd rather that the races were homogenized so that every race looked equally playable for any class, than what we have with the current situation. 

Also, I just don't like some of the racial abilities.  Some are very, very good.  So good that it's nearly impossible to not want to play that race for certain classes.  And some racial abilities seem so weak that it's hard to justify playing that race for anything other than RP reasons.

Alternatively, I suppose that there could be a menu of racial talents that could be available to each race/subrace that would provide for some more variety when it came to character creation.

Frankly, with the exception of the godlike racials, all of the existing racial abilities look more like learned skills/behaviors rather than anything really "racial".    Come to think of it, if someone wanted to get really, really wonky, here's an idea.  There are these homeland and job backgrounds in the game.  I could see having a specific talent for each homeland/job background, or one for homeland and one for job.  This would really put some "bite" into which your background choices. 

Of course, this all starts getting a little complex.  But it does make for interesting discussion fodder.

2. The idea of picking a Utility talent every 4th level sounds pretty good to me, though I'm not sure that the elemental damage talents should really be "utility" talents.  They seem a lot more like offensive talents to me.  "Utility" talents seem more like fast running, quicker weapon switching, extra weapon slots (I wish that all characters started with THREE slots rather than two), extra consumable slots, healing talents, etc.  Heck, if something like this were implemented, I'd think that it should be possible to come up with some additional "utility talent" options to vary the choices.

• Like 1

I think the minima is 100 % health/powers restored = A complete rest for one character.

And the other = 50 % health restored for all the team.

If not, this talent is totally useless when you can return to tavern or use fire camp.

Edited by theBalthazar

I think the minima is 100 % health/powers restored = A complete rest for one character.

And the other = 50 % health restored for all the team.

If not, this talent is totally useless when you can return to tavern or use fire camp.

Balthazar, I think that calling them "totally useless" is just useless hyperbole.  No matter what, they're not "totally useless".  They may not be worth the cost of a talent point, but that's not the same thing as "totally useless".  There are a number of talents that people undoubtedly deem not worth the cost.  I suspect that Field Triage and Wound Binding are two of them.

I love, love, love wound binding, if you are able to keep up endurance regeneration with incoming damage. With the right build, it can be the best talent of all. With so many ways to regain endurance now... Draining weapons, class powers, items, massive healing multipliers, second wind, etc, Health is more of an issue than endurance.

I bet most people who hate on it have never picked it before, or at least not since it was buffed in patch 2.0.

It is much better than resting because it can be used during battle. You can't rest during battle. Also, helpful if you are just pushing your luck against trash mobs and conserving resting supplies. The whole game is easy on any difficulty if you rest after every encounter, except the toughest battles, and those benefit the most from wound binding.

Field triage though is only half as good. Why heal 20% when you can heal 40%?

Edited by Braven
  • Like 1

I love, love, love wound binding, if you are able to keep up endurance regeneration with incoming damage. With the right build, it can be the best talent of all. With so many ways to regain endurance now... Draining weapons, class powers, items, massive healing multipliers, second wind, etc, Health is more of an issue than endurance.

I bet most people who hate on it have never picked it before, or at least not since it was buffed in patch 2.0.

It is much better than resting because it can be used during battle. You can't rest during battle. Also, helpful if you are just pushing your luck against trash mobs and conserving resting supplies. The whole game is easy on any difficulty if you rest after every encounter, except the toughest battles, and those benefit the most from wound binding.

Field triage though is only half as good. Why heal 20% when you can heal 40%?

Braven, is wound binding literally healing 40% of the character's base health?  That is, if a character had 1000 Health (when fully healthy), does it add 400 points of health to whatever your current remaining health is?

If you play correctly, this talent is only for the "Before/after" a battle.

With full life, I don't need +40 % health in one battle.

So, its just because you wan't return to tavern often. And in battle, this talent can save you for this reason. But in realty he is not totally useful.

If you play correctly, this talent is only for the "Before/after" a battle.

With full life, I don't need +40 % health in one battle.

Have you ever tried a build that abused healing while having low deflection? Because even before Braven posted the "Glass Tsunami", I was playing with a very similar concept, and often my Fighter had to retread from difficulty battles because her Health, which started at 100%, was now at 10% while her Endurance was as full as possible and could heal further, should she gain more Health.