SW: The Old Republic - Episode VIII (May RNG Be With You)

Blarghagh

Err, I wasn't subscribed at the time when grinding influence via BT/Esseles was considered the most efficient way to level them up, but I'm pretty sure that nowadays it no longer is.

Quick and easy way is now just to grab one of these:

image.png.23ff87f11f1b57756a99e614828c92b8.png

That's without even getting into what you can do with a level 50 companion that you can't do with a level 30 or 40 one. I only have level 50 companions on crafting characters. A level 50 companion can help with Master Mode chapters, but often you cannot choose what companion to bring, so leveling a companion for this purpose isn't very helpful.

With the deluge of Command Crates from the double rewards events, artifact and legendary quality gifts have tanked in price, so that may be another way if crafting Dark Projects is not an option. I suspect that this is still more expensive than just purchasing a Commander's Compendium, and a hell of a lot more cumbersome.

Edited by 213374U
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

in the past, with legacy perks and a willingness to click for an hour or two, it cost ~4 million credits worth o' green (0-30) and purple gifts (31-50) to go from 0-50. if purples is now encheapened...

the thing is, we gotta level anyway, and do so while generating free influence with a companion were most efficient in the past, especially now that pretty much all the initial companions has been returned to you post kotfe, yes? is not as if you grind mako to 50 you will then lose her indefinite as were the case in the past.

will need look at purple costs.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

an extra month. based 'pon what we read from the test server feedback, the game will benefit from a bit more time... or at least one hopes such is the case. more time won't fix fundamental flaws and am not sure 'bout the gearing situation as described.

regardless, for no good reason, we started a new guardian over the weekend. am level 55 and our t-7 is max influence. we like guardians/juggs 'cause they always seem kinda middle o' the pack for tank and dps efficiency. we can deal with ordinary as long as we not need endure extremes o' overt suckage or opness. (qualifier: there were a considerable period o' time when focus/rage guardian/juggs were a clear pvp win-button choice.)  took us three days and 'bout 16 soul-numbing hours o' esseles, plus however long it took us to rush through tython, to reach level 55. has been so long since we played, figured we would start fresh.  took a bit to relearn controls. were genuine awkward for the first 10 esseles runs. 

have been selling the purple gear drops from esseles. am perplexed as to why anybody would buy such with upcoming changes, but who are we to question? when finished with t-7 influence, we had +80 pieces o' gear, so am figuring a minimum o' 'bout 2 million credits. other nice thing 'bout leveling with esseles is the level adjust. with with nothing save the pioneer trailblazer armour and the frequent weapon/offhand drops, we stayed geared more than sufficient to breeze through the fp. switched over to the legacy level 55 devoted allies gear and will stick with such 'til 65. 

well, we got an extra month. with two months, am not doubting we will be able to advance many o' our level 65s to 70 and complete the content we missed during our absence. 

no more esseles or bt runs for awhile though. literal had an esseles dream last night, which were mild disturbing on multiple levels. color us embarrassed. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Finished KOTFE and am now on chapter 3 of KOTET. Still need like 7 more PVP losses to get Pierce and also to do the bonus HK chapter. I can only torture myself so much since I'm not actually Man-Spider-Man in real life. Probably closer to a Charles Barkley, round mound of not a role model but without the money and I speak slightly better.

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

2 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Still need like 7 more PVP loses 

am thinking the most recent pvp we did were for the light dark event. did a mere handful o' war zones so we could acquire the pioneer armour.  lack o' pvp for us is odd too 'cause we got one character who reached 100 valor, another with +90, plus a handful with better than 50, but has been years since we did any significant pvp.  back when leveling were a long and tedious slog, pvp were kinda a quick way to get levels and gear, and the pvp gear were on par in pve (and actual superior in limited cases) with top gear only available in operations. 

as out of practice as we were this weekend doing esseles, am only able to imagine how we would embarrass our self in pvp. am not having fond recollections o' just how much rage were directed at inexperienced pvp players when a warzone went bad. am not over concerned with the prospect o' being targeted by such rage, but am nevertheless less than enthusiastic 'bout having to be the source o' such scorn w/o some kinda payoff.

HA! Good Fun!

Well, at this point it would be stranger if it was not delayed, what with their skellington crew and stuff. I'm wary about that new wallpaper thingy, though -- it is abysmally ugly and looks like it's been done by different people united only in bad photoshop skills. Here's hoping their art team is still more or less intact, the last two flashpoints, torturous as they are to traverse with a non-stealther, are incredibly beautiful.

As for PvP, used to do a bit of low-mid level drunk pvping with the maximally annoying class, the healing scoundrel. You can have so much fun of different flavours of trololo -- you can heal your mates, you can stun dudes, you can stealth out if chased and then stun dudes...good times. :biggrin: Of course, if you come across a coordinated team that knows what they're doing you are dead in seconds and then kept dead, but in all my times I encountered such a team maybe twice? Aaaanyway, I did this enough times to gather a solid number of cheevos and I still don't have a faintest idea what were the goals of those pvp arenas. :biggrin: They must have goals, right? What with having win states and such.

managed to get to 50 command xp with our guardian. speaking o' soul crushing, have been doing dailies and heroics for command xp. the weekly xp grant for cz-198, ziost, black hole and oricon is nice. yavin and section x take a bit more time, but they is nice too. kinda wish we were doing a stealth character as stuff such as the heroic-4 in section x take more time than we would like when soloing. the solo heroics is repeatable ad nauseum as well as providing crates and credits, but am nevertheless getting burned out already. heck, we might even try pvp as an an alternative. was gonna try and reach tier 2 for command xp before doing kotfe.  dunno 'bout that plan. has gotten to the point am looking forward to pruning shrubs/trees and cleaning gutters.

have done pretty much all the critical path story stuff although we did skip the level 50 ilum content. ilum does not appear to have a weekly/daily option for command xp, but will check on that to make certain. 

am suspecting there is a better way to go 'bout gaining command xp as a solo player. maybe not.

HA! Good Fun!

Alcohol and self hatred fueled my completion of Pierce's recruitment PVP quest. Finished up KOTET and am nearly done with Iokath then it's on to Ossus and some story flashpoints that I never finished. I don't see the point of trying to upgrade my gear from 248 since the next update is next month so I'll probably try to finish a Jedi Shadow run next. I mean, he's already level 70 but is still on Coruscant. I did too many heroics and ran Esseles a few times too many but I get like 11k rep per with Qyzen so it's tough to pass on.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Gromnir said:

kinda wish we were doing a stealth character as stuff such as the heroic-4 in section x take more time than we would like when soloing.

Here be Sith Juggernaut soloing this H4 in efficient way if your soul is not yet crushed enough. 

Got a few characters that got natural 50 from group flashpoints and PvP trolling, did some grinding here and there for other purposes and no way in sith-scorched hell imma grinding for CXP. Fortunately if there's any benefit from all that time I wasted in the MMO it's gained resistance against OCD and completionism. Cheevos shmeevos.  😏

10 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Alcohol and self hatred fueled my completion of Pierce's recruitment PVP quest. Finished up KOTET and am nearly done with Iokath then it's on to Oasis and some story flashpoints that I never finished. I don't see the point of trying to upgrade my gear from 248 since the next update is next month so I'll probably try to finish a Jedi Shadow run next. I mean, he's already level 70 but is still on Coruscant. I did too many heroics and ran Esseles a few times too many but I get like 11k rep per with Qyzen so it's tough to pass on.

Yes. Unless you intend to do serious raiding or Ranked PVP, don't worry about gear at all. It's just not worth it subjecting yourself to the absurd RNG grind, and there's bolster for group SM instances. Also note that all NiM ops except for GFTM are tuned for 248 so what you have is more than enough.

Speaking of RNG grind, the current system on PTS makes the Galactic Command crate system look fair and efficient. While also destroying the viability of crafting. You can come out of a round of MM flashpoints and VM ops with just about nothing to show for your trouble. I'm thinking some of it has to be bugged and the numbers need serious adjustment. As it stands, it's a repeat of the Anthem loot fiasco... on a game that isn't being given the benefit of doubt by players. It's insane and the criticism is overwhelmingly negative, and I just can't imagine why they would go in this direction.

It's a very, very good thing that they delayed the launch, but BWA doesn't have a great track record of listening to feedback from PTS players and making meaningful changes before expansions. So I think we're looking at a repeat of 5.0.

Edited by 213374U
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

3 hours ago, ShadySands said:

😫 forgot about Dre the whole traitor arc with its long ass flashpoints full of trash mobs or maybe I just blocked it out.

The answer is, as ever, moar C2H5OH. For house Inrokini!!!! 🤘

Edited by bugarup
I spel gud
  • Like 1

I think the only important decision in that arc is whether you off the traitor or not, and by default the decision is no. So you can safely autocomplete it if you don't feel like doing the flashpoints.

I swore never to go back to Umbara after having to run it eleventy billion times for the schematics and the stronghold.

• Thanks 1

took us a little over 2 weeks to get our guardian through near all story content-- skipped ilum save for the flashpoints. also skipped more than a few recruitment missions. finished ossus this eve.

am likely to level-up three more characters before 6.0, albeit at a slightly reduced pace seeing as how such characters is already at 65. a few o' the eternal throne chapters, and the umbara stuff, were a kinda slow death and am not looking forward to repeating any time soon.

got another house to paint before the rains start, but temps will be back ~100F by the weekend. maybe try the dantooine event and then get started on painting next week. umbara and the mecha stuff from eternal throne kinda makes us look forward to painting.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I can PM you my link, but you may want to consider selling that in-game instead. Often people will offer up to 10 mil to click on their referral -- though I'm not sure how you'd avoid being scammed.

1 hour ago, 213374U said:

I can PM you my link, but you may want to consider selling that in-game instead. Often people will offer up to 10 mil to click on their referral -- though I'm not sure how you'd avoid being scammed.

Do it. I don't need pretend money and usually click on someone's link anyway and sometimes inform particularly annoying buyers that "Sorry, I just clicked other referral for free" :biggrin:

• Like 2

Onderon seemed really short with a lot of backtracking to pad the time. Still too early to judge Mek-Sha but I'm not optimistic. Still, I've enjoyed what is there so far.

I just got volt rush for my sorc and am trying to work that into my rotation. Besides that I'm struggling with story decisions because I don't know how things play out yet and unlike other single player games I can't just save before each choice.

#KOTOR3to9problems

Finished the new patch except for the the daily stuff. It's really, really short but the content is solid IMO. Though after what we've been through my standards probably aren't very high. 

I think probably of my playtime was me just waffling on making story choices since I only have one other character that is finished with Ossus and I'm not going to try to push other characters through KOTXX for this for 3 to maybe 5 hours of story expansion.

Edited by ShadySands

Took one Imp and one Pub through, found Pub story more interesting, but both aren't bad for a team with v. limited resources. Re: the choice at the end, it's quite alright on Pub side and my "Rah rah for teh Republic!!1!" Trooper will probably take the deal, but on Imp side I really wanted the "LOL are you f†ckin' serious? :biggrin:" answer. Too bad I cannot side with the Huttbreaker aka "the only sane woman in the galaxy far away".

Also it is nice to see the flashpoint where you can either skip trash or push them into abyss again after those littered House Inrokini and Nathema nightmares. 

And judging by the hook, the next step in story development is going to be Scooby-Doo levels of goofy. :banana: