RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Blarghagh

For those that might have missed it...

GamesRadar - Lionhead Closes today

After the Fable Legends cancellation the writing was on the wall.  Even though Molyneux left a few years ago, I don't think the studio could shake his stink of being unable to deliver on promises.

I only played the first Fable, and that was the last Molyneux game I'll play, but he is always entertaining to hear speak - a dreamer/snake oil salesman/naive game designer.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Seems Activision is bringing back 2142 since EA won't. And then going a bit beyond.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

What'll we get next? Call of Duty 40k?

Now that might get me to buy a Call of Duty again.

• Like 3

Well they certainly have writers capable of creating characters with no critical thinking and almost fanatical devotion. After all, it is better to die for the Emperor than to live for yourself!

I can honestly say I never thought Call of Duty would go to space..

Remember playing the classic back in the day, thinking we finally had a game that dared to show the grimer parts of war.

and now it's Mass Effect. hah..

Fortune favors the bald.

Dawn of War 3 announcement potentially at 1400 Zulu.

https://twitter.com/DawnOfWar/status/727135823540318208/photo/1

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 3
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

So this game i noticed on GDC, looks amazing. The game is Called The Long Journey Home

Here is the story premise:

Humans attempted FTL travel for the first time, you are a captain of a ship of 4 crews. Things goes wrong and you are stranded in a wrong part of the galaxy. You must lead your ship back home to earth.

Features:
-rogue lite, procedurically generated galaxy.
-scripted story, quests, characters, handcrafted alien races and interaction and dialogue
-manage your resources and crews, deal with aliens to trade. They can be friendly, hostile, trying to con you, or ask for hour help.
-the goal is to reach back to earth

more detail of the crew members

At the beginning you pick 4 out of 10 party members available. These 4 will be with you in the whole single playtrough

Each character has their own personality and skills, which will determine how you will tackle quest and gather reosources.

For example, you find an old alien relic. Certain character have the ability to dechiper it, and get the artifact.

If you dont have that character, you got to find a planet, ship, trader, anyone that have the knowledge to dechiper it.

World and aliens:

The planets, locations, and stuff will be procedurically generated. From rocky earth like planet to gas giants

There will be quite alot of alien races, each are scripted, and react according to your choices.

There is a reputation system in the game too. Doing a favor for someone will upset their enemies and turn then hostile.

However it is likely you wont meet all races in 1 playtrough. Multiple playtroughs are super reccomended.

To add to that, with each playtrough you will learn how to deal with those aliens, therefore forging better alliances and making then more eagee to help you. Or try to befriend your enemies in previous run.(pretty mich each playtrough will add your meta knowledge)

Story and quests:

-the big main story is pretty much finding your way home to earth

-in some smaller, detailed scale, you will interact with other space faring races, like said before, decision will affect reputation and help you make friends and enemies.

-for example, you found an abandoned ship with a single survivor. He claim to be an ambassador caught in a accident and stranded to dead. He clain if you take him aboard and return hin to his home planet, he will give you a handsome reward.

Going to his system, you are intercepted by a strange, hostile vessel. The comm device connected, and another alien race appear. He claim the "ambassador" you saved is a notorious con-man wanted in that system

You have the choice to trust the ambassador and keep him home, or trust the bounty hunters and give him away for some reward.

Either way, the decision you make will affect reputation to said faction.

There is supposed to be a big, over arching mystery in the galaxy too, but since you cant get all content in 1 playtrough, you have to put the puzzle piece by piece in each run

Gameplay and system

Ship management is pretty much FTL like. You manage fuel, supply, money etc

The crew will also react to your decision, they will hsve their own opinions. If you help a shady alien they dont like, they will grow to dislike you.

They can get terrified, it seems morale management is in there too.

The gameplay is your ship traversin trough the galaxy. The movement and view is kinda similar to mass effect 2 galaxy map mode, except more in depth.

You can conserve energy by relying on a planet's gravity to fling your ship into a certain direction (like how gravity slingshot works in real life with space crafts) or you can go on full engine to navigate. It is faster and more accurate, but waste precious fuel.

It seems you can land on every planet, and not every one is habitable. You cant go on foot, instead you travel with smaller, secondary ship in your main one

There is also space combat, but it isnt clear yet of how it works
Here is some videos:

Gameplay: https://youtu.be/j1JpsmAKHHM

https://youtu.be/aiVxKnjykYk

Interview with dev:https://youtu.be/JgwFSQH3xdY

Steam page:http://store.steampowered.com/app/366910/

Platform: pc, mac, linux,ps4, xone

Estimated release: fall 2016.

This feels like no man's sky, with more point to its existence and FTL management

Edited by apolloooo

I have a feeling it will be something like the Company of Heroes games, which is somewhat of a happy medium between the original Dawn of War and Dawn of War II, as in there will be some base building which unlocks new units and avails new upgrades, but not nearly to the extent there is in the original Dawn of War games so that the player can focus on the nitty gritty tactics.

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Always knew you West coast types sucked at math. :p

But excited to see what it is. Hopefully Captain Hairgel returns.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

...et voila:

Psyched to see Wraithknights. Fingers remain crossed that we'll see Harlequins.

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 2

-Rod Serling

"THREE DEVASTATING FORCES"

And here I was thinking they were saving Chaos Marines for a later reveal.

I was also hoping that the Necron Lord release for Last Stand meant they were starting with Necrons this time around.

yeah only 3 races seems really underwhelming

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

http://www.pcgamer.com/dawn-of-war-3-inside-relics-biggest-rts-yet/

A couple screenshots are released, just Space Marines vs Eldar. The marines themselves look pretty low-def, but the Knight looks awesome.

• Like 2

http://www.pcgamer.com/dawn-of-war-3-inside-relics-biggest-rts-yet/

A couple screenshots are released, just Space Marines vs Eldar. The marines themselves look pretty low-def, but the Knight looks awesome.

Thanks. So it's a return to WH1. Well I don't mind I liked them both, although I do hope that they keep the heroes gameplay from WH2, or at least have missions that are like that.

• Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

yeah only 3 races seems really underwhelming

Add others as DLC :) Base building is back, interesting, I liked DoW 2's setup but didn't dislike the building. Something to look forward to

But, there is that saying about hope. :p