RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Blarghagh

52344760.jpg

With any luck, Spike Chunsoft will have Abstraction Games port V3 shortly after their PS4 and Vita releases.  :dancing:

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

With any luck, Spike Chunsoft will have Abstraction Games port V3 shortly after their PS4 and Vita releases.  :dancing:

add zero escape 1,2 and 3 to it and i'll be a happy man

Also, 999.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

So a mishmash of their experiences with populations and production from Victoria, city/province management from Crusader Kings and differentiating government traits from Europa Universalis.... Interesting.

Probably extremely unbalanced in multiplayer however, until at least the first expansions major patch, judging by past releases :)

And after that virtually unplayable due to bloat of features and small expansions. Heh, I'm already looking forward to wasting hundreds of hours on it.

• Like 2

Fortune favors the bald.

Ugh. I only wish there was some way to make space empires not look like little dots in a black page. So ugly, and it's really hard to keep track of where everything is because everything looks the same. I'm sure it's my personal malady, but...

So a mishmash of their experiences with populations and production from Victoria, city/province management from Crusader Kings and differentiating government traits from Europa Universalis.... Interesting.

Probably extremely unbalanced in multiplayer however, until at least the first expansions major patch, judging by past releases :)

And after that virtually unplayable due to bloat of features and small expansions. Heh, I'm already looking forward to wasting hundreds of hours on it.

It does look really interesting game though and a potential huge time sink if it's well done. As always with Paradox the DLC's and future sequels will only enhance the experience.. and I still haven't managed to finish my CK2 playthrough.

Hate the living, love the dead.

Pokemon Company International Creative Director killed in freak accident.

Medalle was caught in a severe windstorm with his daughter Sunday in Washington State, and around 1:30 in the afternoon a massive tree was uprooted, falling on his car and crushing him. A pedestrian was able to save his daughter from the wreck, and the young toddler only suffered minor injuries. 

;(

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Medalle was caught in a severe windstorm with his daughter Sunday in Washington State, and around 1:30 in the afternoon a massive tree was uprooted, falling on his car and crushing him. A pedestrian was able to save his daughter from the wreck, and the young toddler only suffered minor injuries. 

;(

killed? i know it may be technically correct, that tree really wanted him dead but still...

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

What?

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

;(

killed? i know it may be technically correct, that tree really wanted him dead but still...

What word would you use besides killed?  Killed doesn't imply that it was premeditated.  You're thinking of "murdered".

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

died in accident? Killed for me imply that there was some other person involved.  Like someone drive car into wall - he died in accident. If someone else drive car into yours you were killed in accident. At least thats how I feel it. But again, I am not native speaker.

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

died in accident? Killed for me imply that there was some other person involved.  Like someone drive car into wall - he died in accident. If someone else drive car into yours you were killed in accident. At least thats how I feel it. But again, I am not native speaker.

"Killed" is perfectly acceptable, in fact it's the proper term, when anyone dies unexpectedly, whether it's accidental or premeditated.  Another person doesn't have to be involved.  Whether a tree fell on them, someone shot them, or they were in a car and a drunk driver ran into them, killed is appropriate in all those circumstances.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Killed" is perfectly acceptable, in fact it's the proper term, when anyone dies unexpectedly, whether it's accidental or premeditated.  Another person doesn't have to be involved.  Whether a tree fell on them, someone shot them, or they were in a car and a drunk driver ran into them, killed is appropriate in all those circumstances.

So if i die because of heart attack i was killed? seems strange to me, but oh well

Yeah, killed by heart attack. Does sound a tad strange through - killed does imply an animate thing is involved to me.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

So if i die because of heart attack i was killed? seems strange to me, but oh well

It can be said that you were killed by heart failure. But most often you see killed by used when there is person or object that does the killing.

Yes.

Killed implies there was a killer, but the killer does not have to be a person, it can be an object, a disease, etc.  If you die of a heart attack you were killed by the heart attack.  If you die by falling off a cliff you were killed by falling off a cliff.  The only time you wouldn't use killed is if the death was expected (e.g. the person had a terminal disease, they were really old and their health was failing).  In those cases, killed would still technically be correct (killed by old age), but people don't generally use it like that.  If the death is something that's expected you'd generally say "He died of old age".

To bring this back to video game, I was ironically discussing this about a game recently, The Interactive Adventures of Dog Mendonça and Pizzaboy.  You can tell the dialogue was translated by non-native English speakers (understandable for a small studio) because while all of it is technically correct, some of it is structured in a way that native speakers wouldn't say it like that.  It's understandable that non-native speakers wouldn't get all the nuances of English.  I'm sure it works the same way for other languages too.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

You died of a heart attack, you were killed by a heart attack. "Killed by a heart attack" isn't very colloquial, but what's colloquial is not necessarily equal to what's correct. Killed in a car accident seems very colloquially correct to me, but what do I know.

(e): There were like 4 posts in between me posting this and the last one I was reading.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Heart attacks aren't really unexpected either.  They are a pretty natural way to go, usually predictable based on your genetics or diet.

edit:  I have high blood pressure genetically.  I expect to have one eventually.  :p

Edited by Hurlshot

Seems like few people agree with me, as I stated I dont think its technically incorrect but it sounds very strange in connection to accident

Seems like few people agree with me, as I stated I dont think its technically incorrect but it sounds very strange in connection to accident

No, killed in an accident (whether that accident involved another person, was just a freak thing, act of nature, etc.) is perfectly acceptable and the way I would expect to hear it more often than not.  Died in an accident is also acceptable and common, but in my experiences I tend to hear killed in an accident more often.  Killed by heart attack or killed by heart failure I have heard plenty of times, though I agree that died of a heart attack is more common.  These things will of course vary from region to region as people use somewhat different terminology in different parts of the world or even different parts of the country.

The rule of thumb is that "killed" is commonly used when the death comes suddenly and unexpectedly.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22killed+by+a+heart+attack%22+OR+%22killed+by+heart+attack%22+OR+%22killed+by+a+heart-attack%22+OR+%22killed+by+heart-attack%22&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8 - heart attack, killed by: 388k results

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22died+of+a+heart+attack%22+OR+%22died+of+heart+attack%22+OR+%22died+of+a+heart-attack%22+OR+%22died+of+heart-attack%22&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8 - heart attack, died of: 472k results

Note that the quotes on these searches makes sure it only shows exact matches. I expected "died of" to be favored here, which it is. I differ on Keyrock's explanation, here: I think "killed" is generally used for unnatural causes of death, while "died of" is generally used for natural causes. This would explain why "died of" is favored for heart attack.