Solo runs all about the end?

Question for those who do solo runs:

I started a solo run myself, but to be honest, I found it a little boring, because I was basically just sneaking around obstacles or resolving them peacefully.

Are solo runs just basically about getting through the final dungeon and last boss? I mean, that's basically the only place in the whole game where you can't avoid combat, right? Oh, and maybe dear old Maerwald. 

I prefer solo runs. They are more challenging and interesting I think. I finished the game on potd with a party once and it was terrible easy and not interesting to me.

I also played potd solo cipher power-playthrough and it was fun, but it required a lot of reloading and overall was too demanding.

For me a solo run on normal or hard with not min-maxed character is the most enjoyable way of playing the game.

What you described is more about what speedruns are btw.

There are two big challenges with solo runs.  One is the end.  The other is the fight in the main hall of Caed Nua.  Ghosts are still ridiculously dangerous, and you have to fight a buttload right there.  It requires strategy to save up for the summoning figurines and to keep enough scrolls for the ghosts.  Maerwald is a piece of cake by comparison.

Edited by anameforobsidian

I prefer solo runs. They are more challenging and interesting I think. I finished the game on potd with a party once and it was terrible easy and not interesting to me.

I also played potd solo cipher power-playthrough and it was fun, but it required a lot of reloading and overall was too demanding.

For me a solo run on normal or hard with not min-maxed character is the most enjoyable way of playing the game.

What you described is more about what speedruns are btw.

Totally agree. After a couple of playtrough whit party is fun but really to easy Also for potd. On the other side solo at potd is boring beacause lot of encounters are doable only with mass figurine abuse or are skyppable. Solo normal is challenging but permits a good variety of builds, so i'm sticking to it

My problem with solo runs is that, creating the necessity for a viable solo run, you get a lot of folks complaining that PotD is too easy with a party. Well, if they have to balance the game to allow for a solo run, and putting in an achievement for such a run creates that necessity, then parties must therefore be easier. There's no logical way to overcome that reality. So, when someone says that the game is too easy with a party, it boils down to the fact that the reason the game is too easy with a party is because the game must be winnable without one.

All that said, I might dabble in a solo run myself. I tend to enjoy having companions, though, so I'll probably not get far. My PC gets lonely. <.<

bother?

Solo is garbage.

So everybody who does solo playthroughs is a garbage collector?

I would be more careful about calling people names. ;)

So if i say popular music is bad, everyone who does not agree is bad people?

That is one crazy way of thinking. : )

Solo runs is garbage (i have soloed the game btw). I prefer 3-4 man runs, they are awesome.

Just because someone agrees that 3 man runs are the best, it does not make them the best...

Edited by Tennisgolfboll

@Tennisgolfball: Nonono - it's like this: If you say that pop music is bad, then you also imply that everbody who listens to pop has a bad taste (which may be true by the way ;)).

It would be wiser to say "I don't like pop music" instead of saying "pop music is bad". Everybody will get your point but nobody will be offended. Win-win and stuff...

It's only wiser if you don't want to offend people of course. ;)

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Dont really care if people are so easily offended.

But i do find the "i dont like pop music" or " in my opinion ".... really funny because.....its always my opinion why would i ever specify that?!

I dont post other peoples opinions or the general consesus (which is often garbage btw)

I fully agree with Boeroer. Yes, its your opinion, you don't need others approval, people shouldn't be so easily offended, you don't care blah blah blah. But if you just slightly change the way you type / say something, you can avoid an argument / flame war and by extension, make another person's day just a little more pleasant. And long term, the forum becomes a nicer place. Same goes for real life.

There are two big challenges with solo runs.  One is the end.  The other is the fight in the main hall of Caed Nua.  Ghosts are still ridiculously dangerous, and you have to fight a buttload right there.  It requires strategy to save up for the summoning figurines and to keep enough scrolls for the ghosts.  Maerwald is a piece of cake by comparison.

That's the info I was looking for! So, the solo run comes down to preparing for and doing those 2 major fights?

I'm sure it requires strategy, but it also seems like a lot of trouble for just two fights, which is why solo runs are not my cup of tea:)

Edited by Heijoushin
  • Like 1

Here's my solo PotD experience:

You need a good build.  I picked a moonlike retribution barb before 2.0.  She stacked bodies like cordwood.

You need to be extremely careful with skills.  You absolutely need fan of flames scrolls for shades, mechanics helps a lot since traps can mega kill you, and stealth makes many more things possible.  Try putting that in one build.

You need summoning tokens.  They make the game much more viable, especially since you can pop a token and run away if you're losing a fight.

The ability to run away from fights helps a lot.  One thing solo PotD really made me appreciate was how well you could pull and dismantle enemies.

Xaurip skirmishers will kill you.  Easily.  They're ****ty little stun-lock monkeys.

That may be right - but it's also a big challenge. :)

I don't do solo runs by the way. I like the synergy effects between party members too much.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I started a solo run myself, but to be honest, I found it a little boring, because I was basically just sneaking around obstacles or resolving them peacefully.

Are solo runs just basically about getting through the final dungeon and last boss? I mean, that's basically the only place in the whole game where you can't avoid combat, right? Oh, and maybe dear old Maerwald. 

Solo is great. You dont need to avoid combats, I killed with my solo Rogue everything except one dragon.

Boring? I dont think so, you can better "feel the character", you can imagine its you and you are playing just for yourself and not handling other 5 guys.

Also you dont need to micromanage your inventory as much as you do with party, its easier with one character.

It is similar to BG, but you will never end up as godlike like F/M/T with high lvl abilities :-) Due to the lack of multiclassing, solo here is more difficult. Summoning tokens are absolutely "must-have" items. I cant imagine playing without them.

To sum up, I like more soloing (whether in PoE or in BG), but with party its easier and it has nicer battles,

Solo is great. You dont need to avoid combats, I killed with my solo Rogue everything except one dragon.

Boring? I dont think so, you can better "feel the character", you can imagine its you and you are playing just for yourself and not handling other 5 guys.

Also you dont need to micromanage your inventory as much as you do with party, its easier with one character.

It is similar to BG, but you will never end up as godlike like F/M/T with high lvl abilities :-) Due to the lack of multiclassing, solo here is more difficult. Summoning tokens are absolutely "must-have" items. I cant imagine playing without them.

To sum up, I like more soloing (whether in PoE or in BG), but with party its easier and it has nicer battles,

Since White March came out Paladins are easily "god tier" in comparison to ANY npcs(or mobs).

I wouldn't count that out for other classes but I did one paladin run before WM and one after, so I should know.

Before thy were just a defensive powerhouse, now they get a passive per encounter AoE, DoT ability which does burn damage to all surrounding you.

Also there is some ridicolous items in WM for them, most noteable St. Ydwens Redeemer and Durgan reinforcing stuff obviously helps a lot.

You don't need to avoid any fights with a solo paladin including all dragons.

Also keep in mind, that BG2 started with 161k XP which is up to level 10 and a BG char never was godlike in BG1, at least if you played with SCS and Insane.

Even though I soloed 3 times and only once played 3 characters for the whole game, I have to agree with Tennisgolfball, that 3 are much more fun than 1,