If you could live in in any other country?

Guard Dog

This discussion came up on another board I participate in. I think it will be livelier here since most of you all have gotten around more. If you were exiled from whatever country you currently call home and had to move elsewhere, which nation and why?

My choice would be one I've never even visited (yet); Iceland. I always knew where it was but not much else about it. Believe it or not until Woldan went on vacation there last year and posted pictures of it I'd never given the place a thought. But since then I've read a little about it and it seems absolutely beautiful. I've got to take a trip there someday.

I'd say Canada for my second choice but that seems kind of lazy to me. It does have some political differences from the US but except for Quebec it's practically the same place. So my second choice would have to be Australia. Great SCUBA diving and fishing and they have a pro baseball league there. Got to give it points for that.

Where would you pick and why?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I lived there for 8.5 years and never even heard of a baseball league. The "big" sports are cricket, rugby, tennis, football (Aussie rules and soccer both), cycling and swimming... :)

Places I've been to: New Zealand would be my first pick I think. Nice country and nice people, at least away from the major urban centres like Auckland.

Places I've haven't been to: Mauritius. Just to get away from the world and all it's noise and hectic life styles.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Well, I'm already an expat living in Japan. And that's working okay for me. But there are lots of other countries I'm interested in. Lately, I keep reading about how great the Scandinavian countries are (with their short workdays and high levels of happiness:). I'd love to confirm that with my own eyes.

Edited by Heijoushin

Rojava, although it's a big stretch to call that a state.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Rojava, although it's a big stretch to call that a state.

... and the "why"?

Because I'd like it.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

My choice would be one I've never even visited (yet); Iceland. I always knew where it was but not much else about it. Believe it or not until Woldan went on vacation there last year and posted pictures of it I'd never given the place a thought. But since then I've read a little about it and it seems absolutely beautiful. I've got to take a trip there someday.

Well, unsurprisingly its Iceland for me, and I've visited many countries to compare it to.

Its by far the most beautiful and pristine country in the world, the people are nice and very relaxed, the food excellent, and pollution....well, what pollution? There is practically none. Health care is good, the landscapes are extremely varied and stunningly beautiful, undisturbed nature everywhere, volcanoes, easy access to the ocean round the entire island, white nights, a great Strongman culture and history (Hafthor Björnsson aka the mountain of GoT, Benny Magnuson etc.), the legendary Jakabol strongman gym, the People speak all very good English and they are VERY concerned about keeping nature undisturbed - they love their country, every little town has their own public bath, I've seen no obese people there, the crime rate is laughably low ( I think their only prison only holds a handful of people there), as far as I know unemployment is non-existent, you can own and possess guns and their gun laws make actual sense.

There are also mountains, they might not be nearly as tall as those in my country, but they're definitely worth climbing, the wildlife consists of many cute animals, the entire island has a very calm and mystical atmosphere...

I could go on forever listening all the little details that make this place so great. 

Downsides: Geothermal activity, actually volcanic activity its great in many ways since its the #1 green energy source in the country, but if a volcano breaks out you're in trouble. Throughout the history there has been a fair amount of catastrophic volcano eruptions, in some cases half the population died in the aftermath because the fields were covered with poisonous sulfur and ash, the sheep and cows could not eat which lead to dramatic famines. 

Another downside, unsurprisingly, is street conditions in winter, you need a very good 4x4 offroad vehicle, ideally equipped with a winch, reserve battery and balloon tires if you want to leave the main road. Things get ugly fast off the main road. Believe me, off the road you definitely want a freaking monster truck, one that would never fly with your countries laws. I rented a standard Daihatsu Galloper 4x4 and that brought me more adventure than I wanted.  ;)

If you are stuck somewhere off the main road you are in big trouble. Several hours from the next town help won't arrive anytime soon, which is fun in winter. 

The Jökulhlaup. Jökul is the glacier and Hlaup means flood. If a glacier is heated by geothermal activity up in the ''highlands'' it will melt and burst like a gigantic dam. The flood will kill anything in its path including bridges, which cuts off towns from access for weeks. Though the Icelanders are probably the best in repairing bridges, they have a clever System, their bridges are built like Lego. 

Also the language is extremely hard to learn, and I think it would be even worse for a native English speaker, also there are 4 months with only 2-3 hours of direct sunlight in winter, you have to be able to deal with the dark. Next downside off the top of my head is gardening, if you love gardening forget Iceland, very few plants worth planting in your garden survive the conditions. The vegetation is comparable to a mountain top at 2500 m altitude - creeping plants, arctic birch and small conifer. 

So in a nutshell, the country feels like a pristine prehistoric Nordic paradise with a small tribe of nice people on it. Yes, I think that describes it perfectly.   :)

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 1

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

I'd go Canada, but really that's because I'm already good at hockey and know the language.  It may be lazy.  But if we consider that cheating, I'd choose England.  I like their sense of humor.  Honestly the fact I've never traveled outside of North America really hurts me here, as I have nothing to judge on.  

edit:  Given where I live, Spain or Italy would be the easiest weather transition.

Edited by Hurlshot

Definitely Japan.  Not only would I get to experience a completely different culture, I'd also get to go to puro and joshi shows regularly.  As an added bonus, I'd get to play Japanese games as they were meant to be, not tainted by the foul stench of censorship for the sake of our fragile western psyches. 

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Definitely Japan.  Not only would I get to experience a completely different culture, I'd also get to go to puro and joshi shows regularly.  As an added bonus, I'd get to play Japanese games as they were meant to be, not tainted by the foul stench of censorship for the sake of our fragile western psyches. 

I lived in Japan for a time when I was in the military. In Okinawa to be exact. Beautiful place and really great people but there is just so many of them. Traffic is a nightmare. I didn't spend much time in mainland Japan but from what I did see (Tokyo mainly) was huge and ultra modern.  

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I would vote for Iceland or Canada as well.... but here comes the problem: My mood is too easily affected by darkness and cold. Which is a bad combination for countries like Iceland or Canada. :/ Usually I can't even stand the short winter days in germany and this year we had like what, 3 days of snow (the snow itself isn't the problem, it's that everything is grey or dark).

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I lived there for 8.5 years and never even heard of a baseball league. The "big" sports are cricket, rugby, tennis, football (Aussie rules and soccer both), cycling and swimming... :)

Places I've been to: New Zealand would be my first pick I think. Nice country and nice people, at least away from the major urban centres like Auckland.

Places I've haven't been to: Mauritius. Just to get away from the world and all it's noise and hectic life styles.

They have a pretty good thing going here: http://web.theabl.com.au/index.jsp

Thomas Sowell

Have to laugh at everyone saying Canada.

Maybe Iceland, home of CCP and seems like a nice quiet place.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well, I wouldn't want to live anywhere in Canada. For example, never in one of these backwater villages without internet and where you need a satellite telephone to keep contact with the outside world. :>

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I've spent time in Japan, Mexico, South Korea, The Philippines, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Canada (Toronto only), and the Bahamas. I would not take any of them over living in the USA. Politics & governments not being a consideration there was something I didn't like about each. I'm sure there is something to not like about every square inch of dirt on the Earth though. It's curious that most of us are choosing countries we have not lived in or travelled extensively to. My two choices I've never set foot in.

Thomas Sowell

I lived in Japan for a time when I was in the military. In Okinawa to be exact. Beautiful place and really great people but there is just so many of them. Traffic is a nightmare. I didn't spend much time in mainland Japan but from what I did see (Tokyo mainly) was huge and ultra modern.  

The vibe in Okinawa is a little different to the rest of the place. Feels a little more western (because of the military base's influence I suppose), which might be a good balance for some people.

But in Tokyo, most people use public transport, so traffic wouldn't be an issue.

Look me up if you're ever in town;)

We could probably fill up another thread talking about the censorship issue so I won't get into it here;)

Edited by Heijoushin
  • Like 1

I would vote for Iceland or Canada as well.... but here comes the problem: My mood is too easily affected by darkness and cold. Which is a bad combination for countries like Iceland or Canada. :/ Usually I can't even stand the short winter days in germany and this year we had like what, 3 days of snow (the snow itself isn't the problem, it's that everything is grey or dark).

Coastal BC isn't cold. Vancouver gets like 1 major snowfall a year, but its expensive. Vancouver Island is much cheaper, but gets a few more snowfalls.

New Zealand would likely get my vote. Seems like nice climate, and doesn't have the poison animals of australia.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Monaco, all the way. The apartment, the yacht in the harbor, watching the race from my balcony every May, public surveillance cameras protecting my Ferrari, the ghost of Grace Kelly, Nice next-door, the Royal Family, the Côte d'Azur climate, Senna's six victories ... 

All Stop. On Screen.