How is this game evolving?

Will there be any option added for .. reduced gold?

Not that I know of. PoE's Niagara coin Falls are here to stay, it seems.

We should be happy for our fellow players who are getting a mode easier than easy though, because we're nice people and if someone wants a skip-combat button so be it.

If you're asking why is there an easier-than-easy mode while, for example, no attempts at balancing PoE's peculiar economy have been made, we can only speculate. I have a few theories myself.  :geek:

I would still prefer the challenge to come from enemies' being tougher, not from my character being weaker (which is why I don't like to play PotD at early levels: The extra difficulty comes from your being low level and therefore having little options to deal with situations, rather than from enemies' being strong and having good A.I..)

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 3

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Correct me if Im wrong but it sounds like it will be getting even easier with even more overpowered resting bonuses being added.

Will there be any option added for reduced exp and reduced gold for those of us who like a challenge?

There is encounter difficulty scaling now. I find i spend the cash on respecs anyway.

That sounds interesting. Scaling for the whole game or just the Xpacs? How does it work?

Does it keep the game challenging throughout with POTD + level scaling?

Correct me if Im wrong but it sounds like it will be getting even easier with even more overpowered resting bonuses being added.

Will there be any option added for reduced exp and reduced gold for those of us who like a challenge?

There is encounter difficulty scaling now. I find i spend the cash on respecs anyway.

That sounds interesting. Scaling for the whole game or just the Xpacs? How does it work?

Does it keep the game challenging throughout with POTD + level scaling?

Basically it triggers when you enter the expansion, act III, or Act IV, if you're high enough level to trigger it. It can also be set via console without triggering cheats. It makes things harder. The expansion areas are a challenge on PotD even with a higher level party. Haven't yet tried the Act III scaling.

A popular mod called IE Mod allowed for reduced XP as one feature.  It will likely be updated for the upcoming game version.

A popular mod called IE Mod allowed for reduced XP as one feature.  It will likely be updated for the upcoming game version.

Yes, I was using that with 50% nerfed exp table. The progression felt about right (although IMO it could stand to be even a little slower).

Im baffled that the developers refuse to just put that option into the base game.

Vanilla exp gain is just way too broken.

Edited by Kilburn

The solution is to never scale monster stats, but to scale the number and types of monsters.

I.e. the same encounter could have

• 5 Xaurips, if your party is low level
  • 10 Xaurips, if your party is medium level
  • 5 Xaurips and 5 Xaurip Champions, if your party is high level

The encounter difficulty would match your level, but you'd still "feel" your party getting stronger due to how much faster and easier it becomes to down each individual Xaurip.

• Like 3

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

That's what they tried to do with difficulty modes, and I appreciated it.  However, when applied to level systematically, it recreates the verisimilitude problems of Oblivion.  Why should every cave I step into have a thousand champions and no low level minions?  Maybe I want to see wolves with some frequency late in the game because they're setting appropriate animals.  I think out-leveling non-critical content is fine if there is plenty of other content and the level curve is slow enough to not overpower most of it.

• Like 3

Im baffled that the developers refuse to just put that option into the base game.

It's baffling that the developers dont spend time on something that has already been built and widely available, and instead work on things that are needed and unavailable? Yeah, that's crazy :disguise:

• Like 2

It's baffling that the developers dont spend time on something that has already been built and widely available, and instead work on things that are needed and unavailable? Yeah, that's crazy :disguise:

pfft, ya you also have to update IE mod every time they patch the game.. Almost more baffling how badly they broke experience and refuse to fix it.

Ya things so desperately needed like story time. give me a break.

I miss the old FF8 concept as the enemies level the same way you do. Too bad this is commonly overlooked in RPGs.

Play Oblivion as a cautionary tale about how ridiculously broken this kind of scaling can be - and how to do it better, like they attempted (but were not entirely successful) in Skyrim. Edited by Rosveen

Skyrim also had the severe problem that it devoted a lot of time to lower level content that you outgrew very quickly.  Then you're left fighting Draugr for the rest of the game (when the skeletons actually looked much cooler).  Pillars of Eternity does this to a lesser extent.  You hit level 3 lightning fast, on PotD I try to make it to 5 before doing Caed Nua.

I miss the old FF8 concept as the enemies level the same way you do. Too bad this is commonly overlooked in RPGs.

Play Oblivion as a cautionary tale about how ridiculously broken this kind of scaling can be - and how to do it better, like they attempted (but were not entirely successful) in Skyrim.

Are you talking about ES4?

Gaming is meant to be fun.

http://gamingwithscottii.blogspot.com/

I dont think bethesda's eternally rehashed garbage is a good example of why level scaling would suck.

Im sure Pillars could do it better. Pillars has fun, addictive and tactical combat. Combat would still be fun even if its level scaled.

pfft, ya you also have to update IE mod every time they patch the game.. Almost more baffling how badly they broke experience and refuse to fix it.

Even more baffling is that you sympathize with Mod developers who only have to update their limited work, but show the opposite sentiment for the actual game developers who literally have thousands more tasks to address. I don't pity Mod developers who have to keep their Mod's up to date. If anyone builds a Mod without realizing that the game you're Mod'ing will have updates, then they should find a different hobby. As for the imaginary "broken experience" in Pillars, not only is it far from broken, but PoE as a whole is a game that involves much more than exp grinding. If someone calls the exp gains broken it is only because that player is trying to force PoE to be a game that it isn't meant to be. The fact that the exp gains aren't ideal for you personally doesn't mean that the game is broken overall.

Ya things so desperately needed like story time. give me a break.

Story Time is more important than the "broken exp" you keep complaining about. Story Time will attract a larger target audience to the game, whereas making a few exp tweaks that already exist in a Mod will only serve to squelch a few forum complaints.

Story Time makes business sense, implementing a feature that already exists in a publicly available Mod makes much less sense.

Edited by Zenbane
  • Like 2

Has walking been implemented yet?

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!