No idea what would be a good initial build for my first proper game...

Hi - despite being one of the original Kickstarter Backers, I've barely actually played PoE yet - I played it a tiny bit when it first came out, and enjoyed it, but realised it was probably worth waiting for a few patches before investing in playing a full game, then I got distracted by other games (some BGEE, but mostly Europa Universalis IV...)

Anyway, seems like it's pretty mature now, but I really have no idea what stats and skills would be good to take for for my first game, and don't want to get heavily into it and then realise my build was all wrong, so I was wondering if anyone could give some pointers?

In Baldur's Gate my favourite classes were either sneaky, stabby rogues, or more often than not bards(!) sadly a class not in in PoE, so I guess a build combining fighting and magic, but not the main tank would also be of interest.

Could someone make some suggestions for initial races/stats/skills for a sneaky/stabby rogue or a magic-using fighting type?

BTW I'm not a min-max powergamer, and in BG and the like preferred relatively balanced characters. I will probably be playing my first game on "normal" (or is that ridiculously easy?). Thanks!

If I need to supply any more information, just let me know.

"My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Chanter is the equivalent of Bard. They sing chants in combat and can be built to fit a variety of roles.

Of course, if sneaking and stabbing is your thing than a Rogue or Cipher will probably be your next best choices. Rogues are almost identical to Thieves from BG2 whereas Ciphers are kind of hybrid Rogue/Psionic type play style.

As for companions, there's one for every class except Barbarian. So it really doesn't matter what class your main character is unless you want to use a Barbarian. The Barbarian companion will be released once WM Part 2 comes out.

Edited by Wolken3156

I would pass on the rogue for a first run. They're very stabby but quite fragile and require a lot of micro, so I'd leave them for later.

I'd suggest a cipher, or ... and hear me out even if this sounds weird, a paladin.

Ciphers are fairly straightforward magic-using fighters, but they're easiest to play ranged, and the gameplay is in my view a bit rote -- you open with the most powerful power you have, wait until you've rebuilt focus, rinse, repeat.

Paladins, on the other hand, have crazy-good per-encounter active abilities that can be used at the right time instead of just spammed, as well as passives and modals. Most of them are support, but there's also the Flames of Devotion series which are extremely good for spike damage. Their "natural" stat distribution (high INT, RES, and PER if you want to play it offensively, with Flames of Devotion) are also near-ideal for a PC what with the role-playing. And the different paladin orders aren't all your goody-two-shoes Awful Good. And they make the whole party better.

Race and background etc. make very little difference. Stats... if you're not sure what you're doing, don't overdo the minmaxing; it can help if done right but it'll ruin your playthrough if you do it wrong. I.e. don't dump anything below 8. The real meat is in the talents and abilities, and those are worth thinking about. Don't sweat it too much though, while you're unlikely to come up with a real power build the first time around, it's hard to make a complete squib either, and exploring them is fun. And pay special attention to the apparently-lackluster unique abilities various items have: if used cleverly and combined well with each other and various talents and abilities, there's a huge amount of fun to be had with them.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Melee Chanter Tank is a good choice for starters. Heavy Armour, 1hander & Shield plus a firearm or two is a very durable PC who can support the party with buffs, debuffs, CC, summons, AoE damage, ranged damage and melee durability. Best all rounder in my opinion. Currently my PC is a variant of Boeroer's Chanter build the Drake's Ambassador that can be found in this section of the forums, though could be spoilerish. Love me my Chanter!

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

Chanter is the equivalent of Bard. They sing chants in combat and can be built to fit a variety of roles.

Of course, if sneaking and stabbing is your thing than a Rogue or Cipher will probably be your next best choices. Rogues are almost identical to Thieves from BG2 whereas Ciphers are kind of hybrid Rogue/Psionic type play style.

As for companions, there's one for every class except Barbarian. So it really doesn't matter what class your main character is unless you want to use a Barbarian. The Barbarian companion will be released once WM Part 2 comes out.

Okay, a chanter sounds quite interesting - what would be a good set of stats for one and race? Would prefer to RP a  human, elf or Orlan 

For combining fighting and magic, the options are generally Cipher, Chanter, and Paladin. Of those three, Cipher is more offensive and fragile while Chanter and Paladin are more tanky. Ciphers also require more micromanagement than the other two while Chanters require the least.

Chanters are the most bard-like but the stats and equipment they want is very different than Baldurs Gate bards, they are best with high intelligence, might, and constitution, low dexterity (they gain very little from it), heavy armor and shields.

Actually a Cipher could also be interesting, a bit like a Blade in BG perhaps? Less passive than a chanter? What would be a set of initial stats for a Cipher

Really depends on how you want to use your Cipher. If you go ranged you may favor lowering Con and Resolve in order to maximize your other stats. If you go melee, you'll probably want to leave Con and Res at their base value or possibly raise it.

The most important stats though are Perception, Dexterity, Might and Intelligence. Perception will affect your accuracy and how likely your attacks will crit, the latter being quite important for a Cipher since their power's effects highly benefit from crits. Intelligence will affect the duration and AoE of their powers. Might directly influences all damage you deal. Finally, Dexterity will affect your attacking speed.

Keep in mind the stats you allocate at the start of the game are not final. You can choose to reallocate them at any inn for a small amount of copper.

Edited by Wolken3156

while less significant than in the past, priest and paladin Main Character benefits from aligned dispositions tend to drive us to play one o' those classes.  with that admission in mind, we will note that you can play a sneaky-stabby priest of skaen who will be far more capable in melee combat than most poe veterans suspect, and you will have the rather substantial priest spell-casting catalog as well.  

priest o' skaen with prey on the weak and weapon focus: ruffian gets accuracy with stilettos equal to a fighter, plus a  minor sneak attack bonus as well.  can go dual weapon or single and in either case you is gonna be able to deal some serious stabby damage.  we like orlan for skaen priest, but is good arguments for other choices.

the offensive spell selection for priests is very much underappreciated, and if you like to burn things, taking scion o' flame talent as it combines well with the plethora of highly efficacious burny spells at a priest's disposal. 

warning: at the moment, seal spells is broken with the 3.0 beta.  as the problem were known before 3.0 were actual released, we suspect that it will be one o' the first things fixed.  that being said, priests is current handicapped a bit.  

regardless, a stabby priest o' skaen gives you everything you want, albeit not necessarily what you expected. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

while less significant than in the past, priest and paladin Main Character benefits from aligned dispositions tend to drive us to play one o' those classes.  with that admission in mind, we will note that you can play a sneaky-stabby priest of skaen who will be far more capable in melee combat than most poe veterans suspect, and you will have the rather substantial priest spell-casting catalog as well.  

priest o' skaen with prey on the weak and weapon focus: ruffian gets accuracy with stilettos equal to a fighter, plus a  minor sneak attack bonus as well.  can go dual weapon or single and in either case you is gonna be able to deal some serious stabby damage.  we like orlan for skaen priest, but is good arguments for other choices.

the offensive spell selection for priests is very much underappreciated, and if you like to burn things, taking scion o' flame talent as it combines well with the plethora of highly efficacious burny spells at a priest's disposal. 

warning: at the moment, seal spells is broken with the 3.0 beta.  as the problem were known before 3.0 were actual released, we suspect that it will be one o' the first things fixed.  that being said, priests is current handicapped a bit.  

regardless, a stabby priest o' skaen gives you everything you want, albeit not necessarily what you expected. 

HA! Good Fun!

Thanks, would it be worth starting the game with the 3.0 beta or maybe even waiting for 3.0 to be relesed?

Playing as a Skaenite is great fun and makes for a great hybrid character. I wouldn't recommend it on a first playthrough though as their favored dispositions are Cruel and Deceptive with Benevolent and Aggressive being disfavored.

Which means you're effectively playing as an evil character, something a lot of people don't really sit well with. Personally I'm all ok for it! I am such a terrible person...

On the other hand, dispositions only affect Holy Radiance, so if you don't use it you can technically do anything you want. Though Holy Radiance does actually become quite powerful if you do follow the favored dispositions. Being able to be quick and powerful way to heal the party as well as dealing heavy damage to Vessel-type enemies.

Thanks, would it be worth starting the game with the 3.0 beta or maybe even waiting for 3.0 to be relesed?

To parrot limaxophobiacq above, the beta is a beta, which means its very unstable and not a formal release. You'll be fine just playing on 2.3, or you could wait for 3.0 to come out on the 16th.

Edited by Wolken3156

Playing as a Skaenite is great fun and makes for a great hybrid character. I wouldn't recommend it on a first playthrough though as their favored dispositions are Cruel and Deceptive with Benevolent and Aggressive being disfavored.

Which means you're effectively playing as an evil character, something a lot of people don't really sit well with. Personally I'm all ok for it! I am such a terrible person...

On the other hand, dispositions only affect Holy Radiance, so if you don't use it you can technically do anything you want. Though Holy Radiance does actually become quite powerful if you do follow the favored dispositions. Being able to be quick and powerful way to heal the party as well as dealing heavy damage to Vessel-type enemies.

To parrot limaxophobiacq above, the beta is a beta, which means its very unstable and not a formal release. You'll be fine just playing on 2.3, or you could wait for 3.0 to come out on the 16th.

If 3.0 (non-beta) is out on 16th February, I might wait until then to start a new game