What are you playing right now?

Gorth

The point where you really remember why it's fine to hate auto-save/auto-checkpoint games.

When you've spent hours playing through a game, get to the end sequence, face the final "boss", then as the big cinematic wrap sequence starts to tell you just how the story ends....

The cat startles you, your thumb accidentally hits the spacebar which skips the whole movie. Then the game auto-saves.  Leaving you with no clue of what the hell just happened to tie things up, and there's no option to reload from before.

Time to hunt up youtube endings I guess.

Proving once again that cats are the most devious species on the planet. 

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Playing the part of Melky in this post is Keyrock.  shifty.gif

I never was good with names... :banghead:

Sorry :sweat:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Finally got around to playing Stasis yesterday and today and got all the achievements in one play through. yes, I'm an achievement whore. :p

2YW2jne.jpg

Enjoyed the story and great atmosphere. The ending wasn't what I expected and I liked it. Some might say it's depressing but I think it's good how it ended. The puzzles were quite good and some of the puzzles had me stumped for a while. Also, good to see my dead body with my real name in the game and I liked very much where it was placed. Very easy to find and about a third of the way in the game.

The stuff I received from the developers.

Signed game. Numbered 11/12

Resin model

Print with an enclosed letter from Chris Bischoff

T-Shirt

r38wXKg.jpg

Yes! Do it! Sunless Sea is brilliant.

It's definitely got something, I found myself thinking about it in bed which is a sure sign of an interesting game.  My only criticism so far is that the game let me sell my engine and for some reason I couldn't buy another so I was totally screwed.

Still playing Dragon's Dogma. I defeated the Dragon the game got its name from.. but the game didn't end? I'm very confused.

The Dragon is tied to a larger function in the world, so now you have to find out more.

Oh and maybe face a multidimensional dragon.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

My only criticism so far is that the game let me sell my engine and for some reason I couldn't buy another so I was totally screwed.

I'm sorry, I'd love to sympathize with you, but after today's ****ty day, the sentence going along the lines of "I sold my only engine and now I'm stuck, damn you game!" made me laugh :-P

Anyway, just restart. It's not a big deal in sunless sea, world will regenerate, a ton of events change, it's all good. Feel free to disable Iron Man mode and save a lot in order to prevent such things from happening in the future. You know, in case you sell your boat and feel like you have nothing to sail with and stuff :-P

• Like 1

My only criticism so far is that the game let me sell my engine and for some reason I couldn't buy another so I was totally screwed.

I'm sorry, I'd love to sympathize with you, but after today's ****ty day, the sentence going along the lines of "I sold my only engine and now I'm stuck, damn you game!" made me laugh :-P

Anyway, just restart. It's not a big deal in sunless sea, world will regenerate, a ton of events change, it's all good. Feel free to disable Iron Man mode and save a lot in order to prevent such things from happening in the future. You know, in case you sell your boat and feel like you have nothing to sail with and stuff :-P

I get what you're saying, it's a tough old world after all.  I still think it's slightly bad design though, the shop appeared to have better engines in stock and I had the money, I assumed that the buy option might become available after I sold my current engine but it didn't and I was left stranded in the dock.

I even traded in my boat at a huge loss but the replacement also had no engine  :getlost:

• Like 2

I've been tempted by Rise of the Tomb Raider, would those of you who've played it say it's worth getting at full price? (well, minus the 10% it's currently off on Steam I guess)

Did you like the original? I mean, the original reboot. Gah.

Kinda, it was a good action adventure, bit light on the puzzling compared to the originals. Then again, the puzzles in Tomb Raider 1996 (as opposed to Tomb Raider 2003 ;)) were often extremely finicky, though I kind of miss the grand scala of the puzzles (spanning entire levels, like Palace Midas). That said, Tomb Raider 1996 is the only of the old ones that I spent much time with even though I never actually finished it (gave 2 a shot, but never got very far).

As for the story, I liked the story of the Island, and I'm kind of liking the overarching story in the new one so far as well. However "new Lara" doesn't quite do it for me (although she has her moments), I preferred when she was a grown seemingly confident woman compared to the insecure teen we have now. But maybe she'll undergo some character development that puts her back to where she was at in Tomb Raider 1996 in that respect...

Currently I'm in the abandoned Soviet Base, kinda itching to get back into some tomb raiding, those are still the best parts of the games (imho).

You know, I'd kill (figuratively speaking, of course ;)) for a remake of Tomb Raider 1996 in the new engine. Though given how different the gameplay in both games is that seems rather unlikely (or unlikely to be satisfactory, if it should happen), but some of those locations in the new engine...

Edited by marelooke

Played a bit MGS5 again yesterday. Tried my hands on one of these stealth-only / extreme missions. Have to say, the D-Walker is kinda growing on me now. I felt it was useless / annoying when I tried it first (D-Dog was better in any situation), but now with a few more upgrades, etc. the D-Walker actually is a pretty neat toy. Can spot at least as good as D-Dog AND serves as a vehicle at the same time. Got some optional weapons with quite a punch as well, though, I as a usually stealth-only player do not really benefit of it (the dual Zzzz-pistols are way too unprecise).

/Edit: A shame that MGSO is so mediocre. If they had done a coop-mode it would have been much better than this (team)deathmatch-rush gameplay we got instead.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I get what you're saying, it's a tough old world after all.  I still think it's slightly bad design though, the shop appeared to have better engines in stock and I had the money, I assumed that the buy option might become available after I sold my current engine but it didn't and I was left stranded in the dock.

I even traded in my boat at a huge loss but the replacement also had no engine  getlost.gif

Yeah I get it, that kind of stuff is just not what you want to do in a game - it's annoying, it's not fun and very anticlimactic way to end your journey. It's still funny tho :-P

Currently I'm in the abandoned Soviet Base, kinda itching to get back into some tomb raiding, those are still the best parts of the games (imho).

Oh, so you bought it. Good, don't have to shill for it then :-P Seriously tho, I've read that the challenge tombs were entirely created by the same team which worked on multiplayer for the last game and it shows (that they had a dedicated team behind them I mean). They're huge, they often have mechanics not seen anywhere else in the game, the puzzles in them are a lot of fun - they're no longer just a small room with a simple puzzle. And then there are actual tombs to raid strewn around the landscape, there are the big, open locations like the soviet base which offers a lot of opportunities for exploration which is incredibly satisfying, stuff like that.

Weirdest thing is that I'm enjoying doing the challenge tombs and side missions a lot more than progressing trough the main story, but that's not a bad thing per se - it's just a shame that when someone's not a completionist he's risking not really seeing the most fun parts of the game. I also love that stealth is a lot more viable this time around, and generally, if you explore a lot, you'll be doing a lot less shooting and a lot more tomb raiding, which is awesome. Generally speaking I'd say the game has improved in just about every aspect upon the 2013, except for the main storyline buut I'm a sucker for mysterious islands.

Oh and then there are challenges. God, it's that kind of thing which gets decided during a board meeting by a bunch of managers who then walk up to the development team and say "Guys, add some challenges. Like cut 7 soviet flags. People like challenges, right?"

"But... It doesn't work with the theme at all."

"CHALLENGES, MAN! THINK POSITIVE! ONLY LOSERS THINK NEGATIVE! CHALLENGES!"

"I... *sigh* Whatever."

Edited by Fenixp
  • Like 1

Oh, so you bought it. Good, don't have to shill for it then :-P Seriously tho, I've read that the challenge tombs were entirely created by the same team which worked on multiplayer for the last game and it shows (that they had a dedicated team behind them I mean). They're huge, they often have mechanics not seen anywhere else in the game, the puzzles in them are a lot of fun - they're no longer just a small room with a simple puzzle. And then there are actual tombs to raid strewn around the landscape, there are the big, open locations like the soviet base which offers a lot of opportunities for exploration which is incredibly satisfying, stuff like that.

Weirdest thing is that I'm enjoying doing the challenge tombs and side missions a lot more than progressing trough the main story, but that's not a bad thing per se - it's just a shame that when someone's not a completionist he's risking not really seeing the most fun parts of the game. I also love that stealth is a lot more viable this time around, and generally, if you explore a lot, you'll be doing a lot less shooting and a lot more tomb raiding, which is awesome. Generally speaking I'd say the game has improved in just about every aspect upon the 2013, except for the main storyline buut I'm a sucker for mysterious islands.

Oh and then there are challenges. God, it's that kind of thing which gets decided during a board meeting by a bunch of managers who then walk up to the development team and say "Guys, add some challenges. Like cut 7 soviet flags. People like challenges, right?"

"I... *sigh* Whatever."

Stealth is a lot more viable, but at the same time, you end up losing a whole hunk of xp for not murderising all those Trinity soldiers lurking around.

The tombs are a lot better than on the island, as mentioned they are much more that expansive, larger puzzles. And they make sense for the environment/story side of everything in the game.

The challenges (note, challenges, not challenge tombs) are.. yes, nonsensical in some ways - Cut down Flags, burn propaganda posters, shoot bullseyes that no-one else knows about.... Plus a pain in that you might encounter them but be told "you can't do this because you don't have x piece of equipment yet", so you have to kind of remember all the locations of things you couldn't do so you can try coming back when you have more gear unlocked.

The animal hunting is sort of useful, but at the same time seems less bountiful or needed compared to the first game.

The game does look very pretty. The switch between snow filled Siberian mountains and wilderness, and the hidden valley of forests and all both look great.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I've been running around finishing off the "Secrets of London" collection in AC Syndicate.  I've found they're a lot easier to find than previous games.  I've only had to look online for help for one item.  Usually I'd end up having to look up over half the locations of the items.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I finished Attractio.  I was right, I was doing the final challenge before.  In fact, I was about 5 minutes from finishing when I left off.  Fun puzzle game minus the clumsy action sequence at the end.  The ending left it open to a potential sequel.  I'd be down for one, especially if they end with an actual puzzle in the sequel.

I'm not 100% sure what I'll play next.  I'll go back and finish Satellite Reign at some point, but I think I need a few more days break from that game.  I may wind up playing Agatha Christia - The ABC Murders.  I'm definitely feeling the itch to play a point & click and I'm always down for a detective mystery.  Getting to play as Hercule Poirot is an added bonus.  The game comes out on Thursday.  If the reviews are decent, I'll likely pull the trigger and dive right in.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Darkest Dungeon, missing last boss on lvl 3 and then all my party is on or above level 4, lost occultist on one of my last run so I was pretty sad :/

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

"I... *sigh* Whatever."

Yeah, the challenges seem kinda...meh (Shoot red laptops. Really?) Tombs are definitely better (and equally importantly: bigger) and some of the more enjoyable parts of the game, now if they can take over the rest of the map for the third instalment we'll have a party ;) Though, so far, none of the "Challenge Tombs" has been that much of a challenge (did 4 or 5 or so now I think. Also Lara starts to give you hints if you take too long,  noticed this when I managed to miss a climbable surface in the Baba Yaga challenge tomb). Then again, I've been stuck for *hours* in TR 1996 and that wasn't much fun either, kinda hard to find the balance I guess ... That said, making them harder might mean they'd increase the difficulty of the parcours instead of the difficulty of figuring out the solution, which would not be much to my liking... (Cistern was really cool)

But I wish they'd leave the James Bond stuff out already, it just doesn't fit. I mean the part with the chopper... if I hadn't been so busy repeating "seriously?" in disbelief I probably would've facepalmed hard enough to end up with a headache.

Anyway, really enjoying the game so far, few niggles I have so far would be:

- the annoying QTE based opening sequence (getting killed over and over because it's not obvious where you gotta go is annoying, especially in a tutorial)

- the James Bond/ Mad Max-style chopper sequence

- challenges

- environments often designed to be cool but make zero sense (eg. start of Baba Yaga is a "well worn path" in Lara's words, that then ends up with a bunch of jumping around cliffs to get to the destination. Suuuuuure...)

The good (so far)

- the overarching story

- challenge tombs tend to be bigger

- more exploring (outside of the tombs, eg. caves and various historical sites)

- less fighting (bit of an overdose in the last game, feels more balanced so far in this instalment)

- first part of Baba Yaga was pretty cool, though the "plot twist" seems obvious (but won't be able to tell for sure until I've finished it, of course ;))

- the annoying "deathrides" from the previous game have been gone, so far

- side missions (while the objectives don't always make the most sense the added NPCs and their reactions make the world seem more alive)

- the environmental stories told by the recorders/texts/objects you find (also there in the previous game, still worth mentioning imho)

All in all a solid game and not regretting my purchase one bit so far.

Decided to get the Jack the Ripper DLC for AC Syndicate.  So far, it's a bit unstable.  I had a couple of carriage chases where the game would pause for like a couple of seconds, then resume.  And some of the cutscenes, there's no dialogue.  Just character animations and subtitles describing what the character is saying.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Decided to get the Jack the Ripper DLC for AC Syndicate.  So far, it's a bit unstable.  I had a couple of carriage chases where the game would pause for like a couple of seconds, then resume.  And some of the cutscenes, there's no dialogue.  Just character animations and subtitles describing what the character is saying.

I actually have had a few of those type of pauses as I've been playing through the main game. Surprised you never ran across that.

OK, trying to get all the documents in the Baba Yaga DLC of Rise of the Tomb Raider. This one "puzzle" (solution is simple, execution is horrible) just nearly

made me break my keyboard: a series of extremely tricky jumps with an extremely short timer. Annoying as all hell and absolutely not fun in my book.

I need a break of this thing before I *actually* break my keyboard.

OK, trying to get all the documents in the Baba Yaga DLC of Rise of the Tomb Raider. This one "puzzle" (solution is simple, execution is horrible) just nearly

made me break my keyboard: a series of extremely tricky jumps with an extremely short timer. Annoying as all hell and absolutely not fun in my book.

I need a break of this thing before I *actually* break my keyboard.

Hate to ask if you have noted it already but are you playing it on the pic or Xbox one? If so what would your specs be and how does it run if you don't mind me asking.