When will it be "done"?

I bought Pillars a long time ago but still haven't started it. I was going to play a lot earlier but then I noticed that the game was changing pretty heavily (stats, balance ect.) through big patches. Obviously I'm getting both expansion packs next month, but I'm still hesitant to play it before it is really done, you know? I'm the type of person who always waits for the GOTY and complete editions so I get the full experience right away.

Any predictions when the game is finally going to be done?

Tough call. WM2 will likely get a few patches, then there'll be the Director's Cut, then when Pillars 2 comes out, the Enhanced Edition, then the Collection... going by the precedent Baldur's Gate set, I'd say in... oh, another 15-20 years or so. By which time we'll have the remakes.

• Like 10

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

My guess would be a good month after WM2 comes out...so probably right around the 1 year anniversary of the games release.

Now if there is a director's cut, goty edition, enhanced edition etc... then obviously that changes things however I do not think there will be anything like that. At most a goty edition that just includes the game and expansions at a discounted price or something. I imagine Obsidian will put their focus on PoE 2 once they finish patching this game. 

• Like 1

As I understand it, they plan to move on after the White March 2 comes out. Hopefully that means Pillars 2, but it should mean a lot less effort into Pillars 1. Will they still patch and whatnot? Maybe, but I would think the changes would start to diminish. I guess most folks have said that, but I'm posting along different lines.

Part of the charm of this process, for me at least, is see how these decisions get rolled and play out in development. I genuinely think you're denying yourself some of the fun that you don't tend to get with most other games, which is seeing multiple variations of gameplay mechanics. These haven't been small changes. There have been whoppers out there provide a certain fascination. IF, having heard my pitch, you're still not convinced, so harm no foul. Different strokes and all. I would imagine, as others have said, it will be done soon.

For my part, I played the game literally the first day of release and finished it quickly and I started a second run a while back and have almost completed it. That's taken me longer because of real life. I've had fun during both even though some things work quite differently.

• Like 1

bother?

But we're definitely done with expansions after White March, then? I vaguely recall rumblings of there being two expansion packs planned some years back and it's conceivable that someone was counting "The White March" collectively as one.  But it sounds like that is not the case.