Idea for Better Combat Gameplay

My idea is that the spells should be ordered in terms of quickness, or at least list the quickness when hovering over it with your mouse. There are many scenarios in the gameplay where you think, "Okay, what can I cast right freaking now?" and currently answering that question involves laboriously right clicking on each spell learned or memorizing every one. Making this information more readily available can improve gameplay flow by reducing these stoppages and lead to more combat strategizing with party members syncing up their attacks.

Anyway, love the game! Very excited to see what you guys are cooking up :)

As I understand it, casting speed isn't related to the spell itself, but to the characters dexerity.

I do find it frustrating though when I click on a spell, thinking the character will get right to it, but then the character has to wait for several seconds cooldown time to pass (which in the thick of battle is pretty relevant)

I see a cool down bar when I'm casting or taking another action. However, on top of the previous action's cooldown, some abilities are clearly faster than others. There are spells that seem to be essentially instantaneous and others that apparently take a while.

bother?

My understanding is that the bars are *windup* (time to complete the action) not *cooldown* (time before you can repeat an action).

All weapon, spell and ability descriptions specify the relative speed on an action.

@nwillard, if you aren't prepared to learn basic information about the spells you may find this game quite hard, 

• Like 1

The overhead bar definitely indicates recovery time.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

@nwillard, if you aren't prepared to learn basic information about the spells you may find this game quite hard, 

I've actually just about finished the game, no troubles at all :) I'm referring to the fact that there's no quick way to see cast time (Slow/Averege/Fast) and changing that would improve the gameplay flow.

• Like 1

I've actually just about finished the game, no troubles at all :) I'm referring to the fact that there's no quick way to see cast time (Slow/Averege/Fast) and changing that would improve the gameplay flow.

Sorry, if I may have caused any offence.

There are plenty of games built around a HUD that would justice to a modern jet, I'm satisfied that PoE keeps most of the technical game play information out of (immediate) sight.

I wouldn't mind if they tried an actual turn-based system, but jamming rounds into a RTwP system is just not a great solution.

The Infinity Engine games did it, but I always saw that as a compromise (seeing as they were tied to the D&D ruleset), not something one would design intentionally for a custom ruleset.

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

Yeah, the point is that you have meaningful attrition, not just drink a potion and it's like the previous fight never happened.

would be nice to get rid of endurance and just use health.

Why?

I find it refreshing to have a fantasy combat system that acknowledges this key real-world distinction.

I didn't think it was that wonderful. They should have gone with a regular hit points system. This one is strange, confusing at first, doesnt really add anything of value and it promotes rest spamming. Its like they tried to fix something that wasn't broken.

If they wanted to add a second resource to manage it should have been endurance for combat moves and sustained abilities.

Yeah, the point is that you have meaningful attrition, not just drink a potion and it's like the previous fight never happened.

there is battle fatigue

It's so easy to shrug that off, and attrition over different maps is not really important, what matters is attrition your party suffers as you navigate a single dungeon - too often RPGs feel like you fight one battle, rest for 16 hours, and then you knock on the door next to you and say "you ready to fight now?"

What health/endurance, campingt supplies, etc. do is encourage a way of playing where the level design matters, the conservation of resources matters, and there's an added strategic level. I appreciate that. Now, if somebody still wants to spam rests after every battle, they'll find a way - and that's cool, it's their choice.