How long are your loading screens?

Loading times  

37 members have voted

1. 1. How long are your loading screens?

• Under 5 seconds
    • Under 10 seconds
    • Under 15 seconds
    • More than 20 seconds
    • An Eternity

My loading screens are long, often ~20+ seconds. On the other hand, I have a below-minimum requirements CPU, its an AMD A8 (1.9ghz quad core). But I do have 8gb ram and am running the game on an SSD. My PoE loading screens are longer than Fallout 3 and Skyrim (and PoE frame-rates are worse than those games too). I feel like there should be a way to pre-cache adjacent locales to spead up loading, but perhaps that is already being done. Still it feels like something isn't right, an Infinity Engine game really should not have such steep minimum requirements. PoE has vastly higher minimum reqs than BG2, but does not have vastly superior graphics, IMO. I still love PoE though, don't get me wrong.

latest feature; (trans) bug epicentre?

I'd be happy with a cautious approach to implementing POE2 that concentrated on content and minimised any exposure to technical risk.

I think JS mentioned level streaming for PoE2. Unity has now 5.3 build

While this is really big issue to do it, now they have fully functional engine to improve on and I think devs could do it.

Still it feels like something isn't right, an Infinity Engine game really should not have such steep minimum requirements. PoE has vastly higher minimum reqs than BG2, but does not have vastly superior graphics, IMO. I still love PoE though, don't get me wrong.

FYI: it's not an Infinity Engine game and the graphics are very significantly better than the original BG* series.

What's *wrong* is that OBS chose to minimise their technical risk for the kickstarter on which they had (probably) bet the company so that they could concentrate resources on developing their own IP/content :)

What's *wrong* is that OBS chose to minimise their technical risk for the kickstarter on which they had (probably) bet the company so that they could concentrate resources on developing their own IP/content :)

Not sure how that qualifies as "wrong"?

I wouldn't want a "snappier" game if that meant having a shorter game and/or a game with lower-quality content. If PoE ever gets an Enhanced/GOTY Edition, they can always upgrade to Unity 5 and implement whatever snappy loading algorithm they come up with for PoE 2; if PoE had been snappier but lower quality, an Enhanced/GOTY Edition couldn't have done much to save its content.

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Not sure how that qualifies as "wrong"?

It doesn't, sorry for not making clear that I was using *wrong* ironically.

• Like 1

Loadings from the base game 5-15seconds, from the expansion >25

Some optimization for the expansion would be nice

dang.  so adding WM added to loading times?

Yes, I assume because the save games have to include data for several more areas.

However v2 also included a fix for the save-game bloat that had plagued v1.