Gotta agree on the issue with the AI tho.

Praise SCS for BG. :)

Hah, good memories... Lots of fun stuff to do in BG1 - beat Drizzt in duel, kill Koveras, kill the Demon Knight at the entrance of Durlag's tower or one shot Sarevok at the end... Elminster however was impossible to kill...  :p

There was a cheesy way to kill him, never did it myself, cause it was an abuse, but apparently it gave a ****ton of xp and he appeared every single time, despite having been killed. :p

What a lame excuse.

How hard would it be to not being able to abuse the dragon like that?

Very simple to fix

Its beyond stupid and that you dont see it is just sad.

I'm sure it would be easy to make that particular way of killing it not work.

Making every clever, borderline-exploity way of killing it not work... not so easy in a game of this complexity.

It would also be a colossal waste of resources and would make the game a lot less fun for many of us who enjoy looking for these things.

(I figured out a way to kill Firkraag in five rounds or less relatively reliably, using only two moderately-leveled characters. No (skull) trap abuse, just straight-up spells used as designed. I'm sure it's not even the most efficient way but I figured it out all by myself and I'm still kind of proud about that. Cheesing dragons is a proud old-school cRPG tradition.)

Edited by PrimeJunta
  • Like 3

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

What a lame excuse.

How hard would it be to not being able to abuse the dragon like that?

Very simple to fix

Its beyond stupid and that you dont see it is just sad.

I'm sure it would be easy to make that particular way of killing it not work.

Making every clever, borderline-exploity way of killing it not work... not so easy in a game of this complexity.

It would also be a colossal waste of resources and would make the game a lot less fun for many of us who enjoy looking for these things.

(I figured out a way to kill Firkraag in five rounds or less relatively reliably, using only two moderately-leveled characters. No (skull) trap abuse, just straight-up spells used as designed. I'm sure it's not even the most efficient way but I figured it out all by myself and I'm still kind of proud about that. Cheesing dragons is a proud old-school cRPG tradition.)

Firkraag is a wussy. :p

• Like 1

Good job on the dragon.

Perhaps one of my favourite topics so let me elaborate too. Firkraag, and well, any dragon except one?..  Lower Resistance 3x, loaded in Sequencer for instant cast -> Mag Resistance 0% .. Greater Malison -> bye saving throws .. Ray of Enfeeblement -> stay put ..   now anything .. beat it with staff, polymorph to squirrel or bombard it with magic missiles or chromatic orb. Or even out of combat Feeblemind -> dragon just stands there. That is without Time Stop and other fancy stuff.  Fire Shield Red? Whatever ... The toughest fight in the game Kangaxx? http://www.baldurdash.org/kangaxx.html

Its a single player game. I see it as puzzle. 

btw this game is not much different except that now there is a balance God on a quest to become Sisyphus or something ;)

Edited by knownastherat
  • Like 3

I always beat Firkraag with the mage spell "Wizard Eye". He would detect it and attack it forever. It was unvulnerable, so...

Hehe, didn't know about that one.

There are lots of exploit-y ways to kill him of course. What I liked about mine was that it wasn't exploit-y, and just uses the spells you have in the way they're intended. Also no spells above level 6 so you can do it quite early.

PC: Ranger/Cleric. Fighter/cleric would also work. Companion: Jan Jansen.

Strategy: Pre-buff with anything to boost THAC0 and Resist Fear of course. Have PC spam skeletons while Jan spams Lower Resistance. Once resistance is lowered, PC casts Harm and attacks. To-hit will be high enough (because Fighter or Ranger + pre-buffs) to score a hit most of the time; if it failed the first time, cast a dsecond Harm and try again. Harm has no saving throw, and Firkraag's resistance will be down, so he'll be at 1 HP. Poke with toothpick. Collect loot.

Edited by PrimeJunta
  • Like 2

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Yep, Kangaxx is definitely a 'puzzle' fight -- once you figure out a solution, it becomes trivial.

Bg 2 is one of my favorite games but stuff like that was so lame. POE has really improved on those aspects.

But i demand more. ( wouldnt be hard to fix but i dont think it will be done)

Edited by Tennisgolfboll

I played BG2 for almost 1.5 year before finishing it. By then I knew the game so well  - tried every party and class, many builds and approaches to encounters - by then I came to understand that game offers tools and its up to me how I use them. Irenicus went down on first try. By the wolf? form.

Ranger/Cleric OP, Figher/Thief OP, Sorcerer OP, well anyone with CromFayer, Fail of Ages, Staff of Magi (invisibility on equip!), Ring of Power etc OP .. played Druid not to be OP and it had Insect Swarm OP. Mordy swords OP! love them 

Its time management issue. Killing Firgkraag for the X time gets old and who does not want to be powerful? That is part of the game.

Edited by knownastherat