Very nice - but I'm confused. ;)

Wouldn't Shod-in-Faith be good? Because the fear aura crits you all the time (without Prayer) is would heal you and the bear a lot. Not that if you needed it this time - but as a backup if more blights managed to reach you?

What about Lenas Er's defense debuff? With your high attack speed it should be possible to debuff the dragon by -50 I think. Even without stunning shots this would perhaps allow the confused blights, wraiths etc. to hit the dragon. Maybe you could still use Persistence for wounding if you had Quick Switch or the Coil of Resourcefulness...?

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

With Lenas Er wounding shot and venom strike would stick indeed more easily, but I would lose also a big chunk of damage which comes from the wounds. And all enemies are doing cold damage to which the dragon is immune, so even with no defense at all they wouldn't be able to damage him.  :aiee:

While I have the protection from fear he can't crit me with his aura (and I can't let him fear me because my accuracy would take a big hit). Also I need the speed to move fast out of the dragon's range.  :biggrin:

What I would change however is to replace penetrating shot (which doesn't help at all vs the dragon) with apprentice sneak attack and also try combusting wounds on him... However I fear he would die too fast and won't have the time to kill too many of his minions...  :p

I dont understand this.

I mean abusing AI and a ton of scrolls, potions and food to beat a dragon 1v1.

The only reason it doesnt destroy you is because of its stupid ai (not intended) and because of all those consumables (not intended)

Totally immersion breaking

Its like watching a LOTR movie and Aragorn fighting a big bad boss. The fight takes 5 minutes and he uses 25 consumables and its clear that he is fighting a stupid AI thing because he is running around and around and it stupidly cant do anything that it should be able to because of its speed (like intercepting him). And its crazy how he manages to use all those consumables in the middle of the fight. It is absurd.

I can tell you right now that movie would get torn to pieces by a pissed off audience.

Why must we accept this garbage in games?

(This just shows me how sad the AI is in the game and how lame it is to exploit the consumable system, both should have been fixed)

Edited by Tennisgolfboll
  • Like 1

I dont understand this.

The only reason it doesnt destroy you is because of its stupid ai (not intended) and because of all thosr consumables (not intended)

Its like watching the LOTR movie and Aragorn fighting a big bad boss. The fight takes 5 minutes and he uses 25 consumables and its clear that he is fighting a stupid AI thing because he is running around and around and it stupidly cant do anything that it should be able to because of it speed (like intercepting him). Also how he manages to use all those consumables in the middle of the fight is absurd.

I can tell you right now that movie would get torn to pieces by a pissed off audience.

So Aragorn fighting big bad bosses is realistic in your eyes? :)

• Like 1

I dont understand this.

The only reason it doesnt destroy you is because of its stupid ai (not intended) and because of all thosr consumables (not intended)

Its like watching the LOTR movie and Aragorn fighting a big bad boss. The fight takes 5 minutes and he uses 25 consumables and its clear that he is fighting a stupid AI thing because he is running around and around and it stupidly cant do anything that it should be able to because of it speed (like intercepting him). Also how he manages to use all those consumables in the middle of the fight is absurd.

So Aragorn fighting big bad bosses is realistic in your eyes? :)
Not sure realism is the word id chose, immersion would be my choice.

But yeah absolutely.

Like when he fights the Uruk hai boss at the end off the first movie, amazing fight.

Or when he fights the armored boss troll at the end of 3. Very cool.

Having those fights mimic this dragon fight would have made the entire movie into a joke however.

I just hope one day enough gamers will demand the same kind of immersion.

Edited by Tennisgolfboll

I dont understand this.

I think you missed the entire point of the video. It was only about outsmarting the AI, not about winning an Oscar.  ;)

• Like 10

I thought this was both cool and clever.

If you @Tennisgolfboll just wanna roleplay and get immersed, by all means do, but there is a particular enjoyment in finding ways to beat the game that weren't intended by the developers. That's part of the appeal of complex systems in games for me at least.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

I don't get the point about immersion.

Using consumables is pretty much what you do in this game, that's why they're there.

As to AI abusing, keep in mind he's soloing, with a party or even solo paladin you don't need to do this.

• Like 1

Well you can (or could?) cheese of course: Arcane Dampener and then cause prone/stun and so on. Priest with Repulsing Seal and a ring with Arcane Dampener for the win! :)

Should also work with the ranger's stunning shots - as long as your pet doesn't die instantly from a heart attack by looking at the dragon.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I thought this was both cool and clever.

If you @Tennisgolfboll just wanna roleplay and get immersed, by all means do, but there is a particular enjoyment in finding ways to beat the game that weren't intended by the developers. That's part of the appeal of complex systems in games for me at least.

Yeah that is what i do (rp and enjoy) but doesnt it say something about the developers when its easy to exploit the system?

I like that obsidian has tried to "balance" the game. But id much rather have OP ciphers than AI/consumables "exploits" (legal within the game but clearly not intended that the ai should be this stupid etc)

Of course in the best of worlds we would get both good class balance but way more important is ai and ofc not spamming dozens of consumables etc.

As i said this video just shows how poor the game is (and i like this game, but this is the worst side of it, so stupid)

Edited by Tennisgolfboll

I dont mean to put your gaming skills in POE down or your knowledge of the game (both are better than mine)

But as i said i cant stand this AI and comsumables spam. Such a travesty of the game, immersion breaking etc

My criticism is not of you but of the game (only this aspect, i really like POE)

Edited by Tennisgolfboll

Ai is a problem with all games. It has a long way to go. Pillars ai is pretty much par for the course in terms of games, so not sure what the complaint is about there. At the moment, in every game I've played recently (and not recently) the ai can be abused.

Somehow comparing 100 million dollar movies where everything is choreographed to the tiniest detail to a game produced by a small studio with really limited resources is.... odd.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

That is why there are MANY difficulty settings. It allows for enjoyment for most player types. If you think food consumables break the game....simply don't use them. There is ZERO chance a dev team will meet every single player type's gaming want, need and desire. I would say they gave it an excellent try though.

• Like 1

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

Gotta agree on the issue with the AI tho.

Praise SCS for BG. :)

Hah, good memories... Lots of fun stuff to do in BG1 - beat Drizzt in duel, kill Koveras, kill the Demon Knight at the entrance of Durlag's tower or one shot Sarevok at the end... Elminster however was impossible to kill...  :p

• Like 1