Defenses/Damage reuction

Hi,

When I tool tip over a nasty I get a box showing me the Defences and Damage Reductions.  Some of the little icons are obvious  e.g Flame. Is there any compilation somewhere on this forum or anywhere for that matter that explains what they all mean?

Thanks

Hi!

Defenses: Deflection (shield icon), Fortitude (strong guy), Reflex (winged foot), Will (head/brain) 

Damage reduction against: pierce (spear icon), crush (hammer), slash (sabre), burn (flame), freeze (snowflake), corrode (drops), lightning (flash).

I think that's it.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Hi Boeroer,

Presumably when a number is against defences the the higher the more defence? Also if there is a low or no number against Will does it mean the nasty is susceptible to any damage that will effect his brain eg fear etc?

I don't think there are any foes with no number. Only ones whose number you haven't found out yet.

You can see which defenses each attack targets by looking the description, but yes, attacks against liw defenses have highter chance of hitting or even criting for highter damage and duration.

• Like 2

Right.

If there are only question marks (or nothing at all) it means that you don't know that enemy and have no idea what his defenses are. Then, if you fought against some of them, you will get numbers showing up. However - if you meet variants of this type of enemies (like Skuldr Whelp->Sulkdr->Skuldr King... or Lagufaeth->Lagufaeth Redfin->Lagufaeth Broodmother) there will be question marks again because you don't know if this new type of enemy has the same defenses than the other ones that looked similar. If you fought several of them all information will unlock and the defenses will be shown without any doubts or questions. You also get XP for unlocking that info.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Yeah def. look for those low numbers. If you're not doing any damage there are two reasons: either the defence you're targeting is too high and you're not scoring any hits, or the DR for the damage type you're doing is too high so your hits won't get much damage through.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

In the 3.0 beta you get ALL immunity information on first contact with an enemy (I've posted a thread on the beta forum).

I don't like this as it breaks immersion and is inconsistent with how the Cyclopedia fills out.

OBS say this was changed because some people complained about *wasting* attacks, to me that is part of exploring in a cRPG.

OBS are asking for feedback on this *feature*.

• Like 1

In the 3.0 beta you get ALL immunity information on first contact with an enemy (I've posted a thread on the beta forum).

I don't like this as it breaks immersion

I disagree. While the player may be unable to know the immunities at first, because of the abstraction of combat mechanics, I think Éder would be able to look at the dragon he is fighting and notice it was too big for him to knock prone.

I don't like this as it breaks immersion

I disagree. While the player may be unable to know the immunities at first, because of the abstraction of combat mechanics, I think Éder would be able to look at the dragon he is fighting and notice it was too big for him to knock prone.

Then surely it should be lore based? not automatic :)

The dragon example may be *common sense* (I'm surprised Eder can knock trolls prone) but many of the other immunities are much less obvious.

Then surely it should be lore based? not automatic :)

The dragon example may be *common sense* (I'm surprised Eder can knock trolls prone) but many of the other immunities are much less obvious.

Perhaps either lore or survival would automatically unlock info depending on the creature type, and some would start unlocked as common sense, but between none or all being automatically know I woukd choose "all".

It would be better if the immunities are only displayed if you saw that your attack failed due to immunities. How can I know that a XY is immune to prone if I just shot it with an arrow?

• Like 1