The Last (Court) Battle of GamerGate: Feminists Lost, Free Speech Won

ktchong

Most of the legitimate concerns were adressed in the first few months. That's why imo the decision to center GG around journalism was wrong, since it's obviously not the case and can only lead to confusion and misunderstandings.

Bu-bu-but I was told it's actually about ethics in gaming journalism!

When we had an active thread here, I expressed my concern that the GG supporters would post about "personalities" and their "transgressions" that had little to nothing to do with games journalism and was told that really wasn't GG. Now it is?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

It is. But it's also about many other things, and i would argue that ethical issues were just a part of a much larger problem. That's why i think making "ethics in journalism" into some kind of mantra was a mistake. Just limits the movement and gives other people an excuse to dismiss anything not ethics related.

Edited by Sakai

Most of the legitimate concerns were adressed in the first few months. That's why imo the decision to center GG around journalism was wrong, since it's obviously not the case and can only lead to confusion and misunderstandings.

When we had an active thread here, I expressed my concern that the GG supporters would post about "personalities" and their "transgressions" that had little to nothing to do with games journalism and was told that really wasn't GG. Now it is?

Nah, it totally isn't. But it was a useful fig leaf covering the real sentiment of "take your filthy politics out of my games (and put in my filthy politics instead)".

(I was led to believe cyan is the semi-official sarcasm font in these forums?)

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Nah, it totally isn't. But it was a useful fig leaf covering the real sentiment of "take your filthy politics out of my games (and put in my filthy politics instead)".

(I was led to believe cyan is the semi-official sarcasm font in these forums?)

Oh I thought people just like posting in pretty colors.  Didn't realize they had any real meaning.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

It's one user's way of denoting sarcasm. Whoever says "blue" (teal) means sarcasm in their signature. They were just posting recently, but I can't remember who it was...

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I dunno, whenever I ventured there, even when it was purportedly decent, basically none of the front page topics had anything to do with ethics or journalism.

This, obviously, didn't quite give the impression of them upholding the so-called "pure" gamergate ethos.

Well, that's mostly due to the the fact that there wasn't really much to talk about when it came to journalism. Most of the legitimate concerns were adressed in the first few months. That's why imo the decision to center GG around journalism was wrong, since it's obviously not the case and can only lead to confusion and misunderstandings.

It started with journalism but was always an anti-censorship movement too. When most of the journalism stuff was resolved it began focusing on artists rights and such too, and that gave it broader appeal which brought in more crazies. Now its just the anti-pc sub.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Holy moly, it took forever to figure out, but it's Namutree. Last post two days ago, I must've been looking in all of the wrong places for his posts...went through like 15 different recent topics trying to find who it was...

Signature: "I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic."

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

And no one died. Pft. So much for the danger

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It's not what happened which counts, it's what it felt like on Twitter.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Normally I don't post on this kinda thing but I gotta ask: is the Gamergate/anti-Gamergate thing all over?  Finished?  Ran out of steam? 

It's been stagnant and rotting for a while. Recent events have pretty much just ensured that it's nothing but a hollowed out corpse.

Oh there will be those that use the tag as a community thing, and there will be others that hang onto it for every scrap of relevance they can muster, but as a driving force and a catalyst it is very much dead.

Cool, thanks for the update.  Dunno what the recent events were but maybe now people I know will settle down some.  Honestly thought this thing would never die, figured it would be a constant background noise to gaming forever (from both sides).

Edited by FlintlockJazz

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Normally I don't post on this kinda thing but I gotta ask: is the Gamergate/anti-Gamergate thing all over?  Finished?  Ran out of steam? 

It's been stagnant and rotting for a while. Recent events have pretty much just ensured that it's nothing but a hollowed out corpse.

Oh there will be those that use the tag as a community thing, and there will be others that hang onto it for every scrap of relevance they can muster, but as a driving force and a catalyst it is very much dead.

Cool, thanks for the update.  Dunno what the recent events were but maybe now people I know will settle down some.  Honestly thought this thing would never die, figured it would be a constant background noise to gaming forever (from both sides).

There will always be flare ups, but it will never be as big as it was. You'll see it rear its head whenever a major reviewer/audience dissonance hits (reviews really good, audience hates it, or vice versa), or if an anticipated Japanese game reveals that its censoring itself because of whiny western reviewers for its western release. Other than that they'll be likely be content to sit and whine about what some random SJW said on twitter.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Why would it ever be relevant? It was a bunch of insignificant, whiny attention W. without any real plan or money support. Sure SJWs will remain SJ retards and on the other side there will be someone with their voice too, but all in all you treat them like some raving street junkie. You ignore them and move on.

Edited by Darkpriest

Sometimes I'd like to send people on the internet back to school. It's usually when they've fundamentally misunderstood the meaning of a word: irony, feminism, censorship, funny. A lot of people seem to learn the alphabet, figure out how to put it together and then consider themselves sorted, because censorship is not, and has never been, a word that means "changing something you did for different audiences".

https://archive.is/Uj2mv

Changing what the creators originally meant is no censorship, check. Writing in Ad hominems, check.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy