The Last (Court) Battle of GamerGate: Feminists Lost, Free Speech Won

ktchong

It makes perfect sense. You're not a true #GamerGater, the E-Celebs you hate for "co-opting" are. :)

There you go again, of course not. But it's alright, we all have our bad days, no need to push it. You're excused. 

Yeah, I highly doubt you would see it. :)

Of course you're not making sense, you throw in things that had nothing to do with GG to begin with: Like Bethesda and Ubisoft are making **** games and are treating the employees badly, while a problem in itself it was not part of the scandal; how eCelebs are using their fanbase to ****post on youtube and finally you said that Hatred was made out pure politics by GamerGate while conveniently forgetting this game quite unknown outside of Postal-fans gor banned from Steam and GamerGate made sure that it was allowed back in. Quite simply you were angry that GamerGate wasn't what you wanted it to be and you had to vent for a bit, which is perfectly ok in itself.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Speaking of Anita, she is quitting: https://archive.is/pZvPr

I wonder what her Kickstarter supporters think of her not living up to her original commitments?

I've never understood why people who clearly disagree with Sarkeesian, probably don't watch her videos, and definitely did not pledge her kickstarter always try and make this argument.  Judging by her kickstarter page, there are 12 videos up with 3 hours and 40 minutes of content.  She has produced plenty of content.  She made a pretty penny doing so.  There is nothing wrong with that, it is capitalism at work.  

Looking at the comments from backers, it looks like quite a few of them are happy.  The idea that her initial outline doesn't match up with what you feel was delivered is inconsequential, because that is generally accepted as the risk you run in any crowdfunding project.  

It makes perfect sense. You're not a true #GamerGater, the E-Celebs you hate for "co-opting" are. :)

There you go again, of course not. But it's alright, we all have our bad days, no need to push it. You're excused. 

Yeah, I highly doubt you would see it. :)

Of course you're not making sense, you throw in things that had nothing to do with GG to begin with: Like Bethesda and Ubisoft are making **** games and are treating the employees badly, while a problem in itself it was not part of the scandal; how eCelebs are using their fanbase to ****post on youtube and finally you said that Hatred was made out pure politics by GamerGate while conveniently forgetting this game quite unknown outside of Postal-fans gor banned from Steam and GamerGate made sure that it was allowed back in. Quite simply you were angry that GamerGate wasn't what you wanted it to be and you had to vent for a bit, which is perfectly ok in itself.

To be fair he is making sense, he is just frustrated and he is taking a position you may not agree with 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I wonder what her Kickstarter supporters think of her not living up to her original commitments?

Finally, you guys seems to be confused. eCelebs using GamerGate to instill their opinions about anything and saying it is abouth GG does not make it so. But hey, if that makes it feel better about sitting on your high horses of neutrality and talks about sides, then be my guest. In reality, there's only right and wrong and anti-GG is simply is that. Wrong.

It's quite simple really. Want games to be free from outside influence in terms of creativity? Want games to be critized and reviewed completely on their own merit? Want games not to be subjected to the politics of the day by arm-chair academics? Want games just to be games. Good, then you're pro-GamerGate, as that was all that the scandal was about. Outside idiots who hates games and thinking that they can decide what gaming should be about were outed and laughed out of the industry.

This little post describes it much better than i ever could, as the very same kind of people and ideas went into gaming: http://i.imgur.com/gFB0CQ8.png

No my friend unfortunately you are equally as culpable as the rest of us for the protracted and unnecessary GG campaign

But Geez that last  link is terrible, people still have NO idea what SJ is about...or rather I should say " SJ on the Internet"

I won't go  into too much detail but the initial question just highlights how misunderstood the role of SJ is...why would you ask people who you have clearly antagonized and associate the words  " SJW" as an immediate insult " why dont you like SJW " 

You dont look for vindication in SJ  campaigns ....you don't do it for that reason. And you can see from the responses those people also have a very negative view of SJ

That last link is the truth of the matter of the larger culture war, but you are free to hide from it or claim that it is false as much as you wish.   

Its not as intense as a " cultural war  " ...I would say its more an Internet clash of ideals, how widespread would this be in RL?

I am not going to debate what words mean with you again.

• Like 1

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Finally, you guys seems to be confused. eCelebs using GamerGate to instill their opinions about anything and saying it is abouth GG does not make it so. But hey, if that makes it feel better about sitting on your high horses of neutrality and talks about sides, then be my guest. In reality, there's only right and wrong and anti-GG is simply is that. Wrong.

It's quite simple really. Want games to be free from outside influence in terms of creativity? Want games to be critized and reviewed completely on their own merit? Want games not to be subjected to the politics of the day by arm-chair academics? Want games just to be games. Good, then you're pro-GamerGate, as that was all that the scandal was about. Outside idiots who hates games and thinking that they can decide what gaming should be about were outed and laughed out of the industry.

This little post describes it much better than i ever could, as the very same kind of people and ideas went into gaming: http://i.imgur.com/gFB0CQ8.png

No my friend unfortunately you are equally as culpable as the rest of us for the protracted and unnecessary GG campaign

But Geez that last  link is terrible, people still have NO idea what SJ is about...or rather I should say " SJ on the Internet"

I won't go  into too much detail but the initial question just highlights how misunderstood the role of SJ is...why would you ask people who you have clearly antagonized and associate the words  " SJW" as an immediate insult " why dont you like SJW " 

You dont look for vindication in SJ  campaigns ....you don't do it for that reason. And you can see from the responses those people also have a very negative view of SJ

That last link is the truth of the matter of the larger culture war, but you are free to hide from it or claim that it is false as much as you wish.   

Its not as intense as a " cultural war  " ...I would say its more an Internet clash of ideals, how widespread would this be in RL?

Why? Semantics do matter when it comes to the impact of certain things and how we should interpret them?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

It makes perfect sense. You're not a true #GamerGater, the E-Celebs you hate for "co-opting" are. original.gif

Yeah, I highly doubt you would see it. original.gif

No, you get it. I am talking about things that had nothing to do with GG. Because GG was about "we just want games to be about games". Except, all those things were all GG talked about. Ever. You yourself posted about nothing but identity politics and post-modernism and Noam Chomsky and Richard Dawkins in our "journalism in the game industry threads". #GamerGaters say they want people to keep politics out of games, but all evidence shows that they just want different politics in games.

• Like 2

Why? Semantics do matter when it comes to the impact of certain things and how we should interpret them?

Because you make out your own definitions of words on the fly and refuse to abide by conventions made by the dictionary.

• Like 1

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Because you make out your own definitions of words on the fly and refuse to abide by conventions made by the dictionary.

No I don't ?Can you give me an example....I will be surprised if you are right?

John Milton 

I've never understood why people who clearly disagree with Sarkeesian, probably don't watch her videos, and definitely did not pledge her kickstarter always try and make this argument.  Judging by her kickstarter page, there are 12 videos up with 3 hours and 40 minutes of content.  She has produced plenty of content.  She made a pretty penny doing so.  There is nothing wrong with that, it is capitalism at work.  

Looking at the comments from backers, it looks like quite a few of them are happy.  The idea that her initial outline doesn't match up with what you feel was delivered is inconsequential, because that is generally accepted as the risk you run in any crowdfunding project.  

Well I can't speak for other people but as a proponent of Kickstarter and this new form of funding I have argued with detractors of the method, and they have commonly brought up the examples of all the Kickstarters that have not delivered, and the Kickstarters that have delivered far less content than they promised, as examples of why they do not use or agree with the practise. In other words this form of funding is being brought into disrepute by the bad apples, according to the outside opinion. Obviously I try to tell them that one should only back projects which are of assured quality and produced by reputable companies: Obsidian for instance has a history of delivering on draconian timescales, stability of the product notwithstanding and are known for this, thus why I felt assured giving them money.

I also make the argument that risk is inherent, though can be mitigated, that Saarkesian is of course the sock puppet of a fraud who is obviously using fashionable outrage and demonisation through cherry picking content to make disproved conspiracy theories, while Tim Schafer is a spendthrift who cannot be trusted financially, and neither of these should be trusted. They of course reply that Mr Schafer was massively overfunded and yet produced a game that would hardly pass as a demo a quarter of a century ago, while Ms Saarkesian is hardly faced with a momentous task making bog standard Youtube (no offense to Youtubers who make far more, better researched content without any crowdfunding at all) content, with other peoples art, an unresearched cherry picked speech rife with fallacies and no strenuous editing tricks used.

I cannot argue with this, they are right, there is no excuse for such poor showings on Kickstarter when Obsidian, Larian and even more so Logic Artists are producing such fine content in comparison. The investors who got taken may be happy with being shortchanged, that is their right and the exploitable will remain a constant among consumers, but from what i've seen this does harm to crowdfunding as an alternative means to the publishing method.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

It makes perfect sense. You're not a true #GamerGater, the E-Celebs you hate for "co-opting" are. original.gif

No, you get it. I am talking about things that had nothing to do with GG. Because GG was about "we just want games to be about games". Except, all those things were all GG talked about. Ever. You yourself posted about nothing but identity politics and post-modernism and Noam Chomsky and Richard Dawkins in our "journalism in the game industry threads". #GamerGaters say they want people to keep politics out of games, but all evidence shows that they just want different politics in games.

Haha, that is my point. Gaming used to be the only refuge from all politics, it was that special place were you could have that childish dream-state of simply having fun. For each attack by society calling it satanic, violent and what not, the journalists and alike stepped up and said "No, it's just games, **** off". Well, until the SJWs moved in and made themselves as cultural vanguards of what gaming is.

The videos you are talking about are the testament to highlight how other faculties of life are having or have had the same war. For example, just look at what happened with Atheism+.

• Like 1

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=AwrB8pYks6NWI3oA2VWJzbkF?p=anita%20sarkeesian&fr=yfp-t-915&fr2=p%3As%2Cv%3Ai%2Cm%3Apivot#id=3&vid=4a59c4c1d50d86a92c11d8919eff7e52&action=view

This is an interesting video, it is an interview with Anita on the Colburn report and for me it highlights the issues with her approach and what she said needed to change in gaming

I have to assume she meant well.....but how she went about it  :blink:

John Milton 

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/83680-north-korea-has-detonated-its-first-hydrogen-bomb/?p=1764625

• Like 1

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Haha, that is my point. Gaming used to be the only refuge from all politics, it was that special place were you could have that childish dream-state of simply having fun. For each attack by society calling it satanic, violent and what not, the journalists and alike stepped up and said "No, it's just games, **** off". Well, until the SJWs moved in and made themselves as cultural vanguards of what gaming is.

The videos you are talking about are the testament to highlight how other faculties of life are having or have had the same war. For example, just look at what happened with Atheism+.

But something like politics and SJ ideas can reach and influence basically all aspects of society. The issue is not "politics reached gaming " as this was inevitable but rather how people responded  

John Milton 

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/83680-north-korea-has-detonated-its-first-hydrogen-bomb/?p=1764625

Oh okay, I see the misunderstanding

I was actually frustrated that day because the fact NK is " sovereign "  state didn't change my point but yes your definition was correct 

John Milton 

I cannot argue with this, they are right, there is no excuse for such poor showings on Kickstarter when Obsidian, Larian and even more so Logic Artists are producing such fine content in comparison. The investors who got taken may be happy with being shortchanged, that is their right and the exploitable will remain a constant among consumers, but from what i've seen this does harm to crowdfunding as an alternative means to the publishing method.

If the investors are happy with the product, how does that harm crowdfunding? You are also making a judgement about being shortchanged. That is your opinion, one that does not seem to be shared by those willing to invest in Sarkeesian. You can make that same argument for Obsidian. Would it not bother you if a bunch of people complained about PoE being too old school and story based? You are clearly not her audience, so why should your opinion matter when it comes to crowdfunding. I am not her audience either, I wouldnt waste my time or money on such stuff, but as a business strategy I see nothing wrong with her approach, and actually admire her success.

People make money off stupid stuff all the time. There is no fraud here.

• Like 2

Gamergate has a lot of parallells to Feminism. Both have incredibly damaged reputations as a result of only their crazies getting any attention, and both won their big battles and are now just struggling to stay relevant.

Thats a good post

Do you feel on a personal level you were manipulated into supporting GG? And I'm not trying to catch you out or make you look silly. The type of manipulation I am referring to was subtle and surreptitious and took time to build so that when the Alexander article broke you were already frustrated by months of criticism from the likes of Anita so it would have been easy to align with GG?

I supported GG because I was frustrated with the state of games journalism. It seemed like every other article was about how the games I liked are disgusting filth and I should feel bad, and rather than reporting on games they were dictating to the devs how they should make their games. They made no effort to separate their news and opinion. I stopped being involved when it stopped being about games. While I tend to sympathize more with their side of the "culture war", I got involved because I felt games journalism was damaging to games, as the DOAX3 thing showed. But the DOAX3 thing was really the only big gaming controversy in a while, and most of Kotaku In Action is no longer games or gaming journalism related. Edited by Oerwinde
  • Like 2
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Gamergate has a lot of parallells to Feminism. Both have incredibly damaged reputations as a result of only their crazies getting any attention, and both won their big battles and are now just struggling to stay relevant.

Thats a good post

Do you feel on a personal level you were manipulated into supporting GG? And I'm not trying to catch you out or make you look silly. The type of manipulation I am referring to was subtle and surreptitious and took time to build so that when the Alexander article broke you were already frustrated by months of criticism from the likes of Anita so it would have been easy to align with GG?

I supported GG because I was frustrated with the state of games journalism. It seemed like every other article was about how the games I liked are disgusting filth and I should feel bad, and rather than reporting on games they were dictating to the devs how they should make their games. They made no effort to separate their news and opinion. I stopped being involved when it stopped being about games. While I tend to sympathize more with their side of the "culture war", I got involved because I felt games journalism was damaging to games, as the DOAX3 thing showed. But the DOAX3 thing was really the only big gaming controversy in a while, and most of Kotaku In Action is no longer games or gaming journalism related.

Your post makes perfect sense, I wish I knew what you just wrote before I joined anti-GG

The majority of gamers are like you, why should you feel uncomfortable or feel constantly criticized  by people pushing some misplaced SJ agenda. I understand why you supported GG, it makes sense

But it was Anita who started the whole " white gamers are bad, mkay as they are sexist and are opposed to transformation " 

It was unfair and she played a huge part in manipulating people to partake in the GG and anti-GG war

John Milton 

Yeah, what a lot of people celebrating his victory are losing here is that he's not a hero. He was harassing Reily, just not criminally. With Guthrie the harassment stems from her ideology and worldview. She believed she was being harassed because she didn't like having to hear his opinions on a public forum and assumed every time he tweeted to a hashtag she also frequented that it was directed towards her. She's a narcissist.

Devastatorsig.jpg

It's quite simple really. Want games to be free from outside influence in terms of creativity? Want games to be critized and reviewed completely on their own merit? Want games not to be subjected to the politics of the day by arm-chair academics? Want games just to be games. Good, then you're pro-GamerGate, as that was all that the scandal was about.

RANT TIME:

..it was always defending bad practices from publishers that practically abuse their game dev employees because otherwise you're "attacking gamers", taking the side of utter corporate ********s like Bethesda and UbiSoft over game devs that actually needed support. [..] Absolute tripe like Hatred doesn't become a runaway success [..] #GamerGate injects more arm-chair politics into gaming than feminists were ever able to, and companies are using it to promote games consumer lifestyle, not a promotion of game merit.

Always about defending publishers? The most defended publisher equivalent by far is Steam, and even it's copped a lot of flak over the past year (nowhere near as much as it deserves, but fanboys gonna fan) let alone how much usual culprits like Ubi and EA have taken. Most of the defence has been pointing out that publishers fundamentally aren't your friend and are there to make money off you so can be expected to be arses as opposed to journalists who (theoretically/ ideal(istic)ly) examine things critically and inform their readers.

You're right, absolute tripe like Hatred doesn't become a runaway success. Hatred hasn't even cleared 100k sales despite all the supposed frenzy. Being a crap game has trumped all the exposure it got by being over the top and deliberately triggering. It's an indie game, runaway success there is defined by the Legends of Grimrocks, FTLs or pre MS sale Minecraft- or at least something like Shadowrun or Banner Saga, and it hasn't got anywhere near those sales. For those who did buy it you can always fall back to the the old adage about fools and money; so no surprise they'd be loud and idiotic about other things too.

Certainly, people piggyback their beliefs onto GG but then people piggyback their beliefs onto My Little Pony or The Smurfs. It's what people do- and it's also what you've done here. Probably what I've done as well, for that matter.

(Yes, I know it was a rant, it just makes a nice illustration)

Dude, please. He's 100% right that the vast majority of your contributions have been politicised stuff of questionable value almost as much as any sjw's has been. If your argument is that you are battling politicised drivel in games with your own politicised drivel then you're no better than them, if your argument is that you're being ironic then I'd point out there isn't much difference between irony and hypocracy, if your argument is that you aren't doing either but are instead 'dropping truth bombs' or similar then you're delusional about not bringing your own politics into games and using cringe inducing language to boot. Frankly, you've been doing the same thing with the immigration issue as well.

Breitbart or the Daily Fail are not friends of the gamer, they're politicised clickbait that happens to be anti sjw- and anti immigrant, for that matter.

(meta: obvious troll thread is obvious except on Obsidian forums iteration 25673/ ?????????)

"Volo how do you feel about your support for GG?

Do you realize some of your energy was misplaced and perhaps more an emotional reaction rather than logical...is there anything you regret?"

Regret what?  What have done I done to regret? Rant on the silly internet? LMAO I have 'done' nothing to reget. :p

"You'll find twenty posts about everything being "SJW nazis" in comment sections these days and then there's not even someone to make the accusation first. To explain it in terms you like to use: That's not defending yourself, that's plastering your politics everywhere like you're some kind of crazy SJW nazi to prevent any opinion being posted except your own. It's a kind of censorship, done by Nazis. Nazis like #GamerGate."

I have never asked anyone to be censored so your comment uselsss. Calling someone a SJW Nazi when they axct like a SJW Nazi is not censorship.  It is over the top exaggeration at WORST but often very accurate and spot on AT BEST.

People who act like SJW Nazis DESERVE to be called out. PERIOD.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Volo how do you feel about your support for GG?

Do you realize some of your energy was misplaced and perhaps more an emotional reaction rather than logical...is there anything you regret?"

Regret what?  What have done I done to regret? Rant on the silly internet? LMAO I have 'done' nothing to reget. :p

"You'll find twenty posts about everything being "SJW nazis" in comment sections these days and then there's not even someone to make the accusation first. To explain it in terms you like to use: That's not defending yourself, that's plastering your politics everywhere like you're some kind of crazy SJW nazi to prevent any opinion being posted except your own. It's a kind of censorship, done by Nazis. Nazis like #GamerGate."

I have never asked anyone to be censored so your comment uselsss. Calling someone a SJW Nazi when they axct like a SJW Nazi is not censorship.  It is over the top exaggeration at WORST but often very accurate and spot on AT BEST.

People who act like SJW Nazis DESERVE to be called out. PERIOD.

Yes regret is the wrong word...what I mean is have you reviewed your opinion of the GG movement ? And this can be a good thing as you may have moved on from your original view? Most of us have changed our initial opinions

And the reason I am asking you is because you were the first person in the GG thread to say to me things like " how come I don't support white people " ....I initially dismissed what you were saying because I was on the anti-GG side but you were 100 % correct and I only realized later I was being inconsistent in my view :)

John Milton 

If the investors are happy with the product, how does that harm crowdfunding? You are also making a judgement about being shortchanged. That is your opinion, one that does not seem to be shared by those willing to invest in Sarkeesian. You can make that same argument for Obsidian. Would it not bother you if a bunch of people complained about PoE being too old school and story based? You are clearly not her audience, so why should your opinion matter when it comes to crowdfunding. I am not her audience either, I wouldnt waste my time or money on such stuff, but as a business strategy I see nothing wrong with her approach, and actually admire her success.

People make money off stupid stuff all the time. There is no fraud here.

I'm glad that the investors are happy with being suckered and agree that such people are not going to learn or try to get what they paid for, the gullible will remain as such, however their opinion doesn't really matter in the argument i'm making: That crowdfundings image and potential to grow and be regarded as a legitimate funding method is harmed by Ms Saarkesian's laziness in not making a few more poorly researched videos, when massively overfunded and overdue, and this will deter possible future investors who are highly sceptical because of all this undelivered content on Kickstarter. Her and others taking advantage of the gullible and their money is tarnishing Kickstarters image to the outsider, and with good reason, who willingly throws away money on a scheme that is rife with massive amounts of peopel like the Schafers and Saarkesians taking advantage of the gullible?

Of course there is no fraud and I have never suggested such, the gullible have simply been taken as they will be all their lives, that is the way of things. However as I say its not about them but the image of Kickstarter, which is not growing brighter if what I have seen and heard is ought to judge by, and will not while scalpers take suckers for a ride. Personally I think a little oversight and a consumer friendly framework needs implementing, to bring crowdfunding up to the standard of various other purchases one makes.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Most of the Tropes vs women backers never cared about the content. They just heard about the abuse she was getting and wanted to stick it to the jerks attacking her. She made her money, they felt like they made a difference, and moved on.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Dude, please. He's 100% right that the vast majority of your contributions have been politicised stuff of questionable value almost as much as any sjw's has been. If your argument is that you are battling politicised drivel in games with your own politicised drivel then you're no better than them, if your argument is that you're being ironic then I'd point out there isn't much difference between irony and hypocracy, if your argument is that you aren't doing either but are instead 'dropping truth bombs' or similar then you're delusional about not bringing your own politics into games and using cringe inducing language to boot. Frankly, you've been doing the same thing with the immigration issue as well.

Breitbart or the Daily Fail are not friends of the gamer, they're politicised clickbait that happens to be anti sjw- and anti immigrant, for that matter.

(meta: obvious troll thread is obvious except on Obsidian forums iteration 25673/ ?????????)

Again with the relativism where no truth exist. I pity you.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy