[v3.00.929 PX1-Steam] Full immunity information on first contact

HawkSoft

Question

I've just met my first Shadow in the Gilded Vale temple but have been presented will full immunity information (but no defence info).

I checked and there is no Cyclopedia entry for Shadows (only Bear Ooze, Skuldr, Spider, Wisp, Wolf & Xaurip).

Is this what was intended?

How could I know anything about a creature's immunities at this stage?

High Lore (Aloth has 7) ? But then why no defence info?

For me this feels like a breach of the Fourth Wall.

5 answers to this question

Thanks Aarik.

It feels wrong to me especially as it is not reflected in the cyclopedia.

My ideal would be that immunities are flagged as soon as we suffer from them, both in the enemy *tool tip* and in the cyclopedia.

Companions with high lore (or appropriate background) might also provide information which could be flagged using the *I want to talk* icon (I don't think it's worth dedicated barks).

In my first (un-researched) run-through of PoE there was a sense of wonder and discovery as I encountered strange new beasts that would not have been there with the current system. Yes, I wasted some spells but that made the experience richer (for me).

Agreed with HawkSoft, feels like providing full immunity information immediately is too much.

It's also inconsistent with how DR information is handled - by the same reasoning immunity to damage types should also show because you'll otherwise waste weapon attacks. Should just have it work the same way as DR information is handled currently - when you land an affliction to which a monster is immune, it's revealed in the tooltip.

If you're concerned about how players handle difficult foes without access to third party information, dragons in particular, I'd suggest providing conversation options with appropriate skill checks (Lore presumably) that reveals some or all immunities in advance. Since all dragons are currently scripted to force conversation before you can fight any of them, it seems like the natural place for it.

• Like 2

Unlike the original poster I DO want to be given full immunity information right away...

it does not take away from my tactical choices or affect my state of preparation.

In particular, this is a RTwP game...I find it useful to pause and plan before critters box me into a corner and it is too late.

So yes, I appreciate knowing immunities up front before I get killed without even having a chance to strategize or change tactics