Pathfinder Adventures will release March 29th!

As far as the monetization scenario is concerned. The tabletop version had the intro adventure (3 scenarios) and Adventure Deck 1 included. the other 5 Adventure Decks that completed the Adventure Path as well as the character add-on were all separate purchases. They were $19.99 each (I am a subscriber so I get a discount). 

It's interesting that the first AD isn't included like the base set for tabletop. But I actually see potentially that they will definitely be cheaper, perhaps $9.99 each or even lower. Pulling this out of my rear end. It would be nice if the character add-on deck was the same, but I actually see they probably will sell those characters separately for some small amount each, maybe $1.99 each perhaps $2.99. Maybe a full character add-on pack for a discount.

The interesting thing about the character add-on is that it also dilutes the BASIC item pool (if you've never played before, BASIC items are typically the entry level stuff). I could see them changing the rules for the digital edition so that you don't dump all the cards into the "box" that came with the character add-on pack. Typically when you play the table-top version you would actually build a couple characters and put them in the box if you included the character add-on just to "consume" BASIC cards so you're not diluting the "box" with weaker cards. In essence, increasing chances you'll get a better card. I assume they will change all this for the digital game. I digress though since this isn't really about monetization.

I have faith based on the comment about monetization there will be nominal fees for AD's and extra characters to play with and everyone will be happy with the solution. I hope there isn't any further "pay to acquire items", it would totally be outside the spirit of the tabletop game.  Nathan's comment seems to allude to a system that's similar to the tabletop game.

I completely agree, I think everyone is looking way too far into the fact that the initial app is free. There is plenty of money to be made on selling the adventures. I too hope the adventures won't be more than $10 a piece, and hopefully they will have a package deal where you can buy all of them for a discounted price. It's understandable that the physical decks would be $15-$20 because of the actual manufacturing cost and the fact they are collectable, but I don't see why a digital pack of cards would be $20.

It would be nice if the character add-on deck was the same, but I actually see they probably will sell those characters separately for some small amount each, maybe $1.99 each perhaps $2.99. Maybe a full character add-on pack for a discount.

The interesting thing about the character add-on is that it also dilutes the BASIC item pool (if you've never played before, BASIC items are typically the entry level stuff). 

There is quite many possibilities to character add on. It may be also that every character has to be bought separately.

If there is only one or two character in the basic set, with 3 introduction scenarios. It may be enough for trying out what this game is about. And then sell everything else separately

The dilution of card pool is good question, but Rice of the Rune Lords is so easy that having diluted basic card pool is maybe just a good thing. We also have to think that we have new versions of many cards, so there can be more cards, without having too many of one specific card. I think that there is at least 3 different version of the most basic armors. And most probably there also is many version of for example basic dagger, etc... But my experience from ROTRL is that game is too easy even when the add on deck has been shuffled in, even when using only few characters. But in digital version they can handle this in many ways. They can keep the card pool as it is in board game version (with those digital card variants)

http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5li9h?Whats-New-With-Obsidians-Adventure-Card-Game

Or they can change the card pool based on how many players there are in the game.

Even more interesting thing is how the digital game will handle the character dead. In board game you have to start from the beginning, but are the digital version players used to games that will force you to start from the very beginning every time when you die? Even most computer role gaming games allows some kind of reload form the last saved position start, when everything goes south. I am quite sure that non pathfinder gamer, with get baby cry effect when they would find out that their level 3 character has to start again, from the beginning... 

So my ques is that we have reload button, when character die in the digital version.

Have anyone been thinking that you most probably can only do solo in the beginning, so only one character is allowed. It makes some characters preferred, until the multi player option will come to the game. 

It is ok, but I hope that they consider this when they think what heroes are in the starting set.

Kyra is reasonable good for solo gaming. Valeros will have really hard time when closing some locations, even though it is very hard to kill him. Ezren can be really bad in solo game. No blessing, so location closing is almost impossible with him.

So any hopes, or estimations what heroes are best for pure solo experience for digital version? I am quite sure that non Pathfinder player can be very frustrated when trying to close location that requires 8 and you have d4... Or even a barrier that requires 12 and you have d4 to defeat it and that stays in the location.

It is very important that those characters that are in are suitable for solo playing.

When the multiplayer expansion will come later, the situation is somewhat different of course!

Old screen shots of the game did have all the characters from the RotR including the add on pack.

Hmm... So the obsidian has already been testing the multiplayer version. Does it mean that pass-and-play version is coming at the same time as solo version?

If so the situation is good indeed. Makes the game much easier. But from what I have read from Paizo blog, not all of the heroes are available in the free tutorial part. 

"From the heart-of-gold mercenary on an eternal quest for the next drink to the intensely serious Cleric of Sarenrae, to the always optimistic and sharp-tongued Halfling bard"

This is form Obsidian page, so this would suggest Valeris, Kyra and Lem. All guite good solo characters. So maybe the tutorial is pure solo?

So many possibilities! So few clues...

Have anyone been thinking that you most probably can only do solo in the beginning, so only one character is allowed. It makes some characters preferred, until the multi player option will come to the game. 

It is ok, but I hope that they consider this when they think what heroes are in the starting set.

Kyra is reasonable good for solo gaming. Valeros will have really hard time when closing some locations, even though it is very hard to kill him. Ezren can be really bad in solo game. No blessing, so location closing is almost impossible with him.

So any hopes, or estimations what heroes are best for pure solo experience for digital version? I am quite sure that non Pathfinder player can be very frustrated when trying to close location that requires 8 and you have d4... Or even a barrier that requires 12 and you have d4 to defeat it and that stays in the location.

It is very important that those characters that are in are suitable for solo playing.

When the multiplayer expansion will come later, the situation is somewhat different of course!

There is no way they'll force you to play solo with just one character. Pass and play is confirmed so even if this was the case, you could essiantially play pass and play as a solo game. After all, even in the physical game, the only difference between solo and multiplayer is who is controlling the party.

I'm hoping that I don't have to worry about actual multiplayer in order to progress. I don't play Dungeons and Dragons any more because of the nightmare of scheduling a big enough group (although I have hopes of starting a new small group soon). I want to be able to progress in the game solo. I suppose I could check to see about a pass and play game with the buddy I know from this board but other than telling me about the game, he never even posts in this sub-forum! Aw hell, I'm not going to fret over it. I'll play the initial game in whatever way I can and hope to enjoy the hell out of it. If I do, I'll but the xpacs and hope for the best. Hell, it's not like I don't have many (and I mean many) thousands of MtG, LotR, Battletech, and other physical cards. At least digital xpacs won't gather dust when I don't have time to play.

bother?

Thanks so much for the info!

Yay! You do love us!!!

2 questions.

A. Can we get a High-Res version of the map in the media section? locales.jpg

2. Can you tell us how many characters will be available for launch? I'm guessing you'll be releasing info and showing off the characters as we reach launch, but a number would be cool. You know, just for us cool kids here.

• Like 2

Actually, I'm getting even more excited the more I see. Frankly, having been caught up in other geek crazes, such as Magic the Gathering, Warhammer (Including Mordheim), and of course Dungeons and Dragons, I can't see how I missed out on this. Hell, we even used to play Gamma World and a lot of Paranoia when I was overseas.

I have another question: I didn't set up my tablet on the network. I can easily set up my phone as a wireless hotspot for my tablet, but I would much rather just be able to pay for the game, download it, and then play it without being hooked to the network. So, once I download the game, will I need to be connected to the 'net to be able to play it?

Now, I ask that, and I might keep pestering, but I'm actually pretty pleased as is and so I won't rattle your cage too much about it. Like I said, I have a work around. Just kind of rattling around my brainbox.

As it stands, I am purposefully tempering my hopes so I don't set unreasonable standards for Obsidian. I'll commit to making the first xpac purchase just because I've been bugging the hell out of folks, but I hope I get caught up enough to cath'em all!

Edited by why
  • Like 1

bother?

Good to know that pass-and-play is ready from the start! It allows us to use any size of companion we want. I think that I will most likely play with two characters. It allows reasonable skill pool without making the game too complex. I will definitely try 3 and 4 heroes also. But two is my personal preferret Number in this game.

This is really starting to look very promising!

Thanks so much for the info!

Yay! You do love us!!!

2 questions.

A. Can we get a High-Res version of the map in the media section? 

This is an existing map of Varisia we got from Paizo :) Several variations of it have been produced by them and are readily available through the power of Google.

• Like 1

Thanks Llaney.

I'm a D&D guy myself, so have no knowledge of the land or what the map was even focused on.

I appreciate you filling me in.

When I first started lurking here, long before I created my account in order to participate, I was following this project. I was a little dismayed to find out it was a card game set to release for tablets. When I heard about it, I'd assumed it was the D20 Pathfinder RPG, not a card game. I've enjoyed tons of card games played with actual cards and friends, but I've not liked the transition to electronic media. Mostly because in my experience the computer is a horrible opponent on one hand and I prefer to be able to see and talk to my opponent if it's a real person on the other.

Still, I figured I could afford to shell out a little cash for the game if nothing else but to support a buddy who was excited about it. Plus, Obsidian was the developer and (forget Pillars as good as it is) New Vegas is one of my favorite all time games. So I kept coming around to check things out here and play the forum game of complaining about news and making fun of cat and mouse process.

As things have unfolded, I've become increasingly excited. What's great is, even if the game doesn't live up to expectations, which I have every reason to expect it will, but as I say even if it doesn't, I think it's opened my eyes to opportunities beyond the electronic game. A couple of friends, including my wife (huzzah!), have agreed to try out the actual physical game with me. If the electronic game is kick-ass, then we can also play that way too. I might like it and I might not, but even the prospect of a game that the wife will enjoy with me is splendid.

• Like 2

bother?

The one good thing about this game is that it is against a system. You don't "teach" the computer to be a good card player (very difficult task). So there is no need to make an AI that can play well. You only have to have a good program that handles different card combinations well, and offer a good user interface to card game. And that can be done reasonable well.

So I expect this one to be a great version of original. Other good candidate that would work well would be Lord of the Rings lcg, because of the same reasons. You don't have to replace human player, you only have to program the same system that you confront in the real game.

Many games where computer control an opponent are bad because computer can not learn new tricks, when you learn how the computer plays, you can beat it. In games like Pathfinder adventure card game you don't need to do that, and that is why they can become really good computerized versions!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As above, i wouldnt mind digital implementations of games like "space hulk : death angel", or the new Warhammer quest acq that was recently released. Both are player groups against the system, but also with a 'programmed' enemy that you survive against.

Cant wait for this to come out though. Already having alot of fun playing WotR with a friend, and have had many fun moments already.

Managing to chain 4 explores together on the last turn and to corner and subdue the villian as a divine healer being one of them. Its now a running joke between my friend and myself that i am more combat ready as a healer than my friend who is a melee ranger.

Here is hoping that alot more fun situations come along in the digital versions.

Its a pity, but i wish they could include some sort of replay / record feature to youtube/twitch for when something fantastic happens so it could be remembered and shared. Something for the pc version with 3rd party programs i guess.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...