Companion Dialogue when repeatedly clicked on not playing

FlintlockJazz

Question

Not sure if this is a bug or not, so this may in fact be more of a query, but apparently there is dialogue in the game for repeatedly clicking on a companion that is supposed to play but doesn't.  For example, there is dialogue for Pallegina to say "Do you think if you click me enough I will lay an egg?  Sorry to disappoint you."  Is it meant to play or was it just not implemented?  The link below is to the thread where this has been brought up, the examples are towards the end.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/83683-favorite-npc-moments/page-2

• Like 4

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

13 answers to this question

Very interesting. I thought it was a deliberate choice not to trigger these barks.

In this case, there are more barks that never trigger. If you attack your mate, they have lines like "Watch it with that!", "Fye, yer blind!" and so on. If companion has something to say you, he/she should bark "Can we talk?", "A moment, please." and so on.

There are some barks that I never heard during my playthroughs, but I cannot say what should trigger them. Eder's whistle, "This is why you were traveling alone", "Trouble up ahead". Aloth's "We're not alone" and Eder's "Trouble up ahead". Sounds like the latter was intended for enemies that can be in stealth mode. Also companions have lines to comment state of Caed Nua keep(I'm not talking about comments about repaired Brighthollow, library and throne in the great hall) like Aloth's "It's... very nice. We're not sleeping here, are we?", "Better, indeed", "I must say, I'm impressed!".

And one question. Storyline party companions have comments about Doemenels, collapsed Madhmr bridge and many others, but only one random companion says them. However, comments about brothel, landing on the bottom of pit on Burial Isle and when Watcher uses souls to light the passage say all companions in the party. Most of these comments are great and funny, but you can't hear them all during one playthrough.

• Like 1

Whoa, we've been missing out on so much audio content?

Hope we're in time to restore it all for 3.0 final!

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

No worries, dude—we are all extremely appreciative of your work, and even more so knowing that you're alone doing two people's job! :)

• Like 2

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Not sure if this is a bug or not, so this may in fact be more of a query, but apparently there is dialogue in the game for repeatedly clicking on a companion that is supposed to play but doesn't.  For example, there is dialogue for Pallegina to say "Do you think if you click me enough I will lay an egg?  Sorry to disappoint you."  Is it meant to play or was it just not implemented?  The link below is to the thread where this has been brought up, the examples are towards the end.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/83683-favorite-npc-moments/page-2

I fixed this very serious problem for the next beta update.  ;)

• Like 2

Hooray! Once again, the universe is safe thanks to BMac :grin:

Does that include the Caed Nua and Friendly Fire barks? :)

Edited by AndreaColombo

I also noticed that Hiravias "has" voiced comments but in fact corresponding audio files are empty(or broken, I'm not sure). Here's screenshot from foobar2000:

http://i66.tinypic.com/r2lwxx.png

Files with duration "?" are broken or empty. Some companions have such files too, they can be easily spotted because all of them have size 2725 bytes.

Edited by Nicholas

Thank you Arik and BMac so much for this!  Would've said thank you earlier but not had a chance to do so.  I think a lot of people just assumed they had been deliberately cut or something, so cool that they are being put in. :)  Thanks again!

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams