Having beaten my first playthrough (hard difficulty) with the stock companions and relatively little power-gaming, I'm planning a PotD run with a party of mostly created adventures when the White March part II comes out. 

Having looked through a lot of the builds shared, I'm noticing a lot of stats dumped to 3 or similar. And while I understand why you'd do it mechanically, it frustrates me from a roleplaying perspective. I guess my question to collective forum intelligence is: 

Is PotD doable and enjoyable without such intense min-maxing or is that kind of the point of setting?

Cheers.

Brown Bear- attacks Squirrel
Brown Bear did 18 damage to Squirrel
Squirrel- death

I minmax and I don't solo (much). If you do it right, it does make things a little easier. OTOH if done wrong it can make things a lot harder! It's by no means crucial though, so if you have an aesthetic aversion to it then by all means go with a somewhat more even stat distribution. It's not necessarily even any weaker, you might just want to play it a little differently.

(I've only played solo builds very little, but my limited experience with it is actually the opposite -- I've had more luck with well-rounded builds because there are no other party members to compensate for the holes dumping something leaves.)

• Like 2

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Playing with a party you could reverse min max and still beat the game with ease.

So all those full-on min max shenanigans are more for PotD solo? 

This game is only hard if you solo.

("hard")

But if I party I still min max, why make the game harder for no purpose.

Still hoping for a SCS like mod, it's the games job to make my life hard, not my own job. ;P

• Like 1

It was debated before but let me point out that from role-playing perspective INT of 12 is INT of Gul or RES of 13 is RES of Shade. In this sense there is no role-playing perspective when it comes to Attributes. They serve only to game mechanics. 

Min-maxing is pushing the limits, of game mechanics, which by itself can be "role-playing".

Edited by knownastherat
  • Like 1

It was debated before but let me point out that from role-playing perspective INT of 12 is INT of Gul or RES of 13 is RES of Shade. In this sense there is no role-playing perspective when it comes to Attributes. They serve only to game mechanics. 

Min-maxing is pushing the limits, of game mechanics, which by itself can be "role-playing".

huh... Does low int or res affect dialogue options much?

Brown Bear- attacks Squirrel
Brown Bear did 18 damage to Squirrel
Squirrel- death

It doesn't. You won't get the special Int or Res options but those require 12+, typically more like 15+.

That said, if your int/res is 10, you can get it substantially higher with equipment+buffs, and still make some checks. If you start a 3, you'll never be making any dialogue check. :)

Personally, I don't like either of those that low. 3 res is just asking to be interrupted, 3 int and you give up pretty much all duration based abilities. It's not worth it, IMHO.

• Like 1

What do you mean "huh"? We are talking about "role-playing perspective". So if character is assigned, from role-playing perspective, INT of 12 its like if the character had INT of Gul, which is not much or? I am saying that there is no role-perspective in this game when it comes to Attributes - it does not make sense  - saying, for example, I do not want to lower INT to 3 because it would, from role-playing perspective, make my character stupid. 

What I liked about the IE games (and yes, it's the first time I even use a reference to that games) was the fact that your dialogue options changed when your INT was too low. You would sound like a dump ogre. Hilarious!

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I know it's different since I played PoE a little bit from time to time.

I just think it was funny that there was an option to sound like a nitwit in the IE games.

hours.png

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 3

Two weeks ago: (Boeroer's voice): I am going to take a break from PoE until WM2.

One week ago: (Boeroer's voice): I am going to take a break from PoE until WM2.

Last night: (Boeroer's voice): I am going to take a break from PoE until WM2.

This morning: (Boeroer's voice): I am going to take a break from PoE until WM2.

(Screenshot): last played: today.

xD

• Like 4

Two weeks ago: (Boeroer's voice): I am going to take a break from PoE until WM2.

xD

Did he have the nitwit voice of low INT you have in BG, or did he rather sound like a fallout character, that just took psycho?

• Like 1

xD

Did he have the nitwit voice of low INT you have in BG, or did he rather sound like a fallout character, that just took psycho?

An enthusiastic voice that starts to sound more sleepy (due to the long nights playing) the more you scroll down =P.

• Like 2

xD

An enthusiastic voice that starts to sound more sleepy (due to the long nights playing) the more you scroll down =P.

Psycho it is, then.

He jsut doesn't cry "****ING KILL", because he is a well mannered, reserved, german drug abuser.

• Like 2

Haha - you guys... XD

At least I'm not doing a playthrough at the moment - that's something.

But I still find myself firing up PoE too often in order to test and tinker around because of stuff I read in the forum. So it's all your fault.

And I managed to go to bed before 11:00 pm twice in a row! Whoot-whoot!

Ah, and @knownastherat: sorry if that post of mine sounded ****y. I meant no (real) offense. :)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1