After reading 2.2 billion guides and trying to come up with one that would fit me in my search for the "perfect" first play through I finally had an idea. The overall idea is he makes everyone a tank (more realistically just tankier) while doing actual tanking and hopefully respectable damage.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Class: Paladin - Shieldbearer

Race: Pale Elf, Fire Godlike, or Moon Godlike

Background: Aedyr- Clergyman

Stats:

MIG: 16

CON: 8

DEX: 10

PER: 14

INT: 14

RES: 16

Weapon: Tidefall

Key talents: Flames of Devotion, Shielding Flames, Zealous Focus, Inspiring Triumph

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The idea is to use high defenses from Faith and Conviction, plus healing from Tidefall to compensate for the 2H weapon and low constitution. FoD charges would be saved for trying to guarantee a last hit (hopefully a crit) to get a double buff of defense for the party from Shielding Flames and Inspiring Triumph.

What are everyone's thoughts? I still haven't made it too far in the game, but I figure "I hate when Aloth, Durance, etc get blown up by someone streaking past the line. What if I just made everyone tanky? That would be the ultimate tank right?" This isn't a PotD build or anything but is it a viable build that isn't too badly gimped? 

It works. But maybe it works even better if you can time your kills exactly for Inspiring Triumph. That you can achieve best (in my opinion) if you use an Island Aumaua with quick switch who carries two arquebuses besides his melee weapon. If you really need the kill for more defense NOW, just switch to a gun and FoD the crap out of someone - you will get the kill and deliver a lot of defense (from Shielding Flames AND Inspiring Triumph - I think it stacks - I used a Bleak Walker for this) onto your party. I even used a fourth weapon slot and also took Runner's Wounding Shot and I liked it - one more chance to get an on-kill-effect.

To boost the effects further, I would use the outworn bucker (for +5 defenses for everyone around you) and a sabre like Bittercut. You won't have draining anymore - but to be honest the draining from Tidefall is not enough to keep you alive because with 10 DEX you are too slow - esp. if you wear a fat armor. Add Zealous Endurance, Shielding Touch and Reinforcing Exhortation to the mix. Your party should be very sturdy now if you need them to be. You will deal a lot of damage with the 2 or 3 shots - not so much with the sabre, but ok.

For maximum duration and most powerful shots and heals I would go for max INT and max MIG. DEX is not so important when using Quick Switch - but don't dump it to 3 either because of your casting speed . Your RES can be a bit lower - if this is not your only sturdy frontliner. High MIG and INT is not only good for Lay on Hands and stuff, but also great for Sacred Immolation which comes later. This will turn your tanky three-shot-wonder into Super DPS Guy.

• Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

After reading 2.2 billion guides and trying to come up with one that would fit me in my search for the "perfect" first play through I finally had an idea. The overall idea is he makes everyone a tank (more realistically just tankier) while doing actual tanking and hopefully respectable damage.

Class: Paladin - Shieldbearer

Race: Pale Elf, Fire Godlike, or Moon Godlike

Background: Aedyr- Clergyman

Stats:

MIG: 16

CON: 8

DEX: 10

PER: 14

INT: 14

RES: 16

Weapon: Tidefall

Key talents: Flames of Devotion, Shielding Flames, Zealous Focus, Inspiring Triumph

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The idea is to use high defenses from Faith and Conviction, plus healing from Tidefall to compensate for the 2H weapon and low constitution. FoD charges would be saved for trying to guarantee a last hit (hopefully a crit) to get a double buff of defense for the party from Shielding Flames and Inspiring Triumph.

What are everyone's thoughts? I still haven't made it too far in the game, but I figure "I hate when Aloth, Durance, etc get blown up by someone streaking past the line. What if I just made everyone tanky? That would be the ultimate tank right?" This isn't a PotD build or anything but is it a viable build that isn't too badly gimped? 

If you were playing on PotD, your stats are not tanky enough to use tidefall.

But since you aren't and also use a party it should be alright.

My solo pala used Tidefall a lot before he got to Sacred Immolation (now the weapon doesn't relly matter that much anymore) and had 100 defenses over the board with it which was 30 lower than with shield (level 10ish).

Your strategy with Inspiring triumph will become real good once yoiu get to sacred Immolation btw. :D

Would I be better off going 16/8/10/12/16/16? I originally took perception to 14 because with being so slow i wanted to make sure my attacks actually hit. I do want high perception as this will be a PC and a persuasive character fits the whole lore of Shieldbearers being exceptional diplomats. This build is my idea of a highish resolve character that isn't completely worthless on offense. That's also why I took Zealous Focus - to get more hits and maybe crits.

Dex is pretty useless for paladin.

You will not be a dps monster before Sacred immolation (lvl 13).

Perception is pretty important, but that also becomes more important with SA.

My solo pala respecced once he hit lvl 13.

I dumped CON and DEX (will respec before dragon fights), maxed RES, almost maxed PER and maxed IN.

MI is only at 12 but before 13 I had it at 14.

I would say the build in your original post is pretty solid before 13, at 13 you definitely have to respec for more PER and INT.

it just seems to be impossible to find a build that's good for roleplaying but still viable for combat (at least if you don't want to respec every 10 minutes). This is so frustrating.

Nah, paladin is perfect for roleplay.

Dump dex, low con, pump RES, INT to max and almost max PER. :)

It's still early game but so far I've really enjoyed this build. Went with a Fire Godlike with a 16/8/10/12/15/16 stat spread. I've compensated for the lack of perception by going with Zealous Focus and priest buffs. I am tanky enough that I haven't faceplanted yet, squishy and damagey enough that mobs have been sticking to me (especially with Shielding Flames making my allies less appealing to attack). Again I'm not far in the game but this has been the smoothest start yet of all my many starts.

Talents/Skills so far: Flames of Devotion>Shielding Flames>Zealous Focus>Faith & Conviction

In terms of DPS? Maybe the Blade of the Endless Paths. It not only has -5DR but also speed. And after patch 3.0 you can also put a lash on it I suppose. But it's hard to tell. If you have party members then the making enchantment on the BotEP is also nice.

The White Spire is also good if you are fast - but I suppose your char is not. ;)

I'd say Tidefall is pretty much one of the best weapons in game. And I think it's wounding enchantment also profits from high INT and MIG, what makes it even better for slower, but strong and smart builds.

You can even pick up the sabre "The Flames of Fair Rhîan" and Taluntain's Staff in the second slot and have 6 Fireballs per rest. :) Curoc's Brand for another one.

Used this in a chanter build - together with Scion of Flame - great fun! :)

You can even pick up the sabre "The Flames of Fair Rhîan" and Taluntain's Staff in the second slot and have 6 Fireballs per rest. :) Curoc's Brand for another one.

Used this in a chanter build - together with Scion of Flame - great fun! :)

Where do you find that Sabre?

Nevermind, I remember...

Edited by Blades of Vanatar

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

I put a fire enchant on Resolution does that count for theme points? Sabre and small shield is working better than I thought it would for getting last hits. I am going to try dual wielding next. The build had a tough time with the ogres on od nua level 3 but otherwise has continued doing quite well.

Does the game in general get much easier after od nua/raedrics keep? So far everything since has been a cakewalk in comparison (I'm doing dyrford village stuff now). It has me strongly considering bumping the difficulty to hard.

How deep into Od Nua did you go?

You can outlevel the game if you go too deep too soon. In general the game gets easier as you gain levels. Bump it up to hard and then next game go for PotD.