DC Cinematic Universe: Teasers, Trailers, Clips, Etc.

ktchong

Good Lord, Wonder Woman looks remarkably frail compared to my mental image of a Lucy Lawless / Sandahl Bergman hybrid. I wonder if they ever thought of offering the role to a stuntwoman or similarly physically capable individual, Ronda Roussey for instance, or whether they wanted acting chops first and foremost?

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I know you shouldn't judge a book by its cover.

The Evil Dead would be a far shorter film if Ash had judged the Necronomicon Ex Mortis by its cover, and far less entertaining.

• Like 6

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Good Lord, Wonder Woman looks remarkably frail compared to my mental image of a Lucy Lawless / Sandahl Bergman hybrid. I wonder if they ever thought of offering the role to a stuntwoman or similarly physically capable individual, Ronda Roussey for instance, or whether they wanted acting chops first and foremost?

your post raises a secondary concern.  you will not find a competent stuntwoman who is built like gadot.  for those scenes that require a stunt stand-in, we suspect cgi will nevertheless be required.  

regardless, as we has noted elsewhere, our biggest concern is that gadot did not take the role serious enough to add some physical gravitas.  she doesn't have a positive acting résumé, so by working out a bit, it would show Gromnir that she were at least trying to embrace the role with seriousness.

'course, the physique stuff won't genuine matter much after the first 10 minutes o' screen time.  if gal gadot can act and make us believe she is wonder woman, her super-model svelte frame will be a quickly forgotten issue. if she can't act, then increased gym time will have been wasted effort. 

am admitted minor annoyed by the double-standard.  if ben affleck or henry cavill showed up on set looking as if a stiff breeze would topple them due to their waif-thin frame, we would hear no end of criticism... save for from fans o' japanese anime and manga. nevertheless, 'cause gadot is pretty, and a girl, she gets a pass?  

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Her very casting implies that they're going for supermodel. I wouldn't be surprised if her contract had a built in weight condition where if she gains any weight (muscle or otherwise) she would have been replaced. That's pretty standard in Hollywood. I'd agree with you if I thought she had any say in the matter. I'm more leaning towards "studio doesn't understand the character and are being complete and utter morons" explanation. When's the last time WB made a good superhero movie? Dark Knight?

Edited by TrueNeutral

Gadot started working out for the role like a year ago. My guess is she's just not built to put on mass. Some people aren't.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Gadot started working out for the role like a year ago. My guess is she's just not built to put on mass. Some people aren't.

also, claim to be working out is not same as genuine training.  do pilates and jogging is not gonna put on much mass, yes?  is very possible that gadot didn't want to lose her supermodel build, so rigorous training with 2lb weights followed by chain smoking in a cafes someplace, as is typical for models, might not qualify as genuine training. 

also, while not everybody can add- forgive the pun- olympian mass, with the best trainers in the world available to her, we bet she coulda' added more mass than she now has.  

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Yes, I assume her supermodel thinness is not a result of someone never working out. Still, if the studio had wanted an Amazonian Wonder Woman, they would not have cast Gadot in the first place. There is no way the studio wanted her to buff up, and probably would have fired her had she done so.

People like to point at male actors like Christian Bale's Batman for how amazingly he buffed up. Except, he nearly lost the job because the studio didn't think he'd buff up in time. The fact that Batman was going to be extremely buff in Nolan's Batman movies was a fact far before Bale was cast. These things are not let up to the actors in blockbuster production.

Strength in appearance can be exclusive to graceful movement. Her 'pass' came from an ability to be physical with a shield, sword, riding horseback ... things I expect model waifs can't do.

Remains to be seen if she can act the character, but evidently Gadot is a mother in real life, avid motorcyclist, former soldier ... seems likely she embraced the role of Wonder Woman with seriousness. The intriguing part is not knowing.

Then again, I adore Man of Steel, so ...      

All Stop. On Screen.

am expecting that many model waifs can ride horseback.  we grew up on a ranch and have a moderate dislike o' all things related to equines, but have rare met the woman who didn't like horses. (am suspecting that much o' this is 'cause they don't know anything 'bout horses) as a general rule, women like horses.  also, it not take much physical ability to learn the basics o' riding.  is any number o' programs that use horses to aid physical and/or mental handicapped children and adults.  

http://www.equine-therapy-programs.com/disabled.html

you aren't exact setting the bar high. ride a horsie and swing a fake sword and shield?  

being an israeli woman who served in the military is also not exactly evidence o' strength or physical aptitude, particularly as gadot were modelling while she were serving in the military.  for all we know, modelling is what she did for the israeli military.

oh, and we has observed before that there is many kinds o' strength.  we even pointed out the irony that during the 1930s-1950s there were likely far more athletic women in hollywood than there are today.  rita hayworth and cyd charisse woulda laughed self silly watching the blu ray extras o' modern film stars and the training they had to "endure" for their roles. those women trained for decades and kinda defined "graceful movement" for a generation. 

again, be able to act is the important thing, but we woulda' expected a bit more dedication from gadot.  heck, emily blunt, another movie waif, impressed the heck outta Gromnir with her transformation for edge of tomorrow.  blunt didn't add much mass, but she not only acted the part, she looked the part... though am given to understand that the exo-suits for the movie weighed +60lbs, so the stars had to become strong enough simple to move around during filming.  

gadot looks pretty.  

*shrug*

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

I thought Katana was on Outsiders.

To be fair, the likelihood of there being an Outsiders film is next to nil at this moment.  Katana was on the Amanda Waller created Justice League in the New 52, though so kinda sorta has Waller's support in the comics, I guess...

Anyhow, more than likely in the Suicide Squad film, she'll play a role similar to Vixen from the 80s era - someone who like Rick Flagg isn't a criminal and is willingly working with the program. 

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

• 3 weeks later...