Why do people have such boring taste in TV?

Spectre1

Why is TV mostly comprised of sitcoms, police procedurals, medical shows, and reality shows? Do most people lack imagination? I wish there was more sci fi and fantasy. Does childhood and our education system kill off imagination?

TV could sure use more spaceships and sword fights.

You can thank games like Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Knights of the Old Republic, and The Eldar Scrolls V: Skyrim for that.

I used to be a typical FPS gamer who only played Call of Duty. Several years ago. A friend begged me to play Mass Effect. A few years later I got tired of FPS and finally decided to check out Mass Effect. I was hooked from the get go. The sense of scale, the action, the adventure, the characters. I loved it! I was left begging for a TV show with awesome characters, adventure, and epic space battles.

Edited by Spectre1

So space ships and sword fights constitute 'original' programming?

Orange-is-the-new-black-GIF-2.gif

This thread is like 10 years too late.  Medical shows are gone, police procedurals are in decline, and sitcoms...do Last Man on Earth and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt count as sitcoms?  They've gone crazy in a good way.

Reality shows aren't going anywhere because they are super cheap to produce, there are too many channels on TV, and they have to fill the hours with something.  

But with Netflix, Amazon, HBO, etc., we are in a frickin' renaissance.  

Now that I've written all this, I'm positive the thread was started as an attempt at irony.

what-you-talkin-bout-willis-o.gif

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 3

If you want a serious answer it costs a lot of money to make a TV show. Most networks don't want to take a risk on niche programming. And let's face it, when fantasy & sci-fi is done well it is amazing but when it's done half assed it is extremely bad. More often than not it's not done well. CBS passed on The Walking Dead because they thought no one would like it. (To be fair if they made it they would have ruined it)

Police procedurals can be just ok and still make money. Take Bones for example. Watch 30 seconds of that and tell me it is not the worst cop show ever made. But somehow it's been around for a long time.

But IMO TV is only good for two things: Sports and animal shows. And the history channel sometimes. And Netflix. And for something to watch Amazon TV & my DVDs on. Other than TWD and GoT I don't follow any TV shows.

"Be on the lookout for thieves, trespassers, aaaand COMMUNISTS!"

The Director FO4

So space ships and sword fights constitute 'original' programming?

Orange-is-the-new-black-GIF-2.gif

This thread is like 10 years too late.  Medical shows are gone, police procedurals are in decline, and sitcoms...do Last Man on Earth and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt count as sitcoms?  They've gone crazy in a good way.

Reality shows aren't going anywhere because they are super cheap to produce, there are too many channels on TV, and they have to fill the hours with something.  

But with Netflix, Amazon, HBO, etc., we are in a frickin' renaissance.  

Now that I've written all this, I'm positive the thread was started as an attempt at irony.

what-you-talkin-bout-willis-o.gif

If the OP has only access to network programming then he is lost in an entertainment wasteland!

The Director FO4

we watch little tv.  news.  we also watch sports, which is kinda like the good stuff from game o' thrones but w/o all the floppy wieners.

is south park, so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjzC2DRgEo4

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I didn't get the weiner reference in South Park. By the time that episode aired there had been maybe one or two naked weiner scenes in GoT.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Police procedurals can be just ok and still make money. Take Bones for example. Watch 30 seconds of that and tell me it is not the worst cop show ever made. But somehow it's been around for a long time.

Bones doesn't even come close in a world of awful CSI knockoffs.

I think Bones is really just a platform for Angel and the less attractive Deschanel sister to flirt with one another.  I watched a few episodes and the actual crime stuff seems to take a back seat to that.

But hey, I like to see Joss Whedon's characters find stability.  I could care less about Castle, but I'm glad Mal found a steady home.

Bones doesn't even come close in a world of awful CSI knockoffs.

I think Bones is really just a platform for Angel and the less attractive Deschanel sister to flirt with one another. I watched a few episodes and the actual crime stuff seems to take a back seat to that.

But hey, I like to see Joss Whedon's characters find stability. I could care less about Castle, but I'm glad Mal found a steady home.

Speaking of which, Jewel Staite is going to be on Legends of Tomorrow.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I would like more sci-fi and fantasy shows. Unfortunately, the overwhelming majority of such shows generally fall somewhere between "kinda poor" and "hot garbage" on the quality and watchability scales. I don't think I've ever liked a single sci-fi or fantasy show I've seen: those genres seem to be more movie territory.

Then again, I don't like any of the other genres you've listed, either, besides just a couple of sitcoms, and I basically don't like pretty much anything else, so maybe I'm just not a TV person in general.

Put fascists and sociopaths on your ignore list.

Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.

I don't know but I think I'm not much of a TV person either. The few shows I do watch I don't usually watch live and if my wife wasn't glued to the tube I'd probably watch less than half of them. I have both Hulu and Netflix and they see moderate use for things like old Star Trek episodes and the odd documentary on the proper feeding of cheerleaders but even then I'm just not that into it. I like to read my news and listen to my sports and chase kids (read roust punks) off my lawn.

PS CSI is the worst

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

I think Bones is really just a platform for Angel and the less attractive Deschanel sister to flirt with one another.  I watched a few episodes and the actual crime stuff seems to take a back seat to that.

But hey, I like to see Joss Whedon's characters find stability.  I could care less about Castle, but I'm glad Mal found a steady home.

I can heartily recommend Castle 05x06: "The Final Frontier" which for sci-fi fans is probably the best episode of Castle ever made. It even has a guest appearence by Armin Shimmerman and a cameo of Jonathan Frakes and a lot of other sci-fi references strewn in. Or, as Mal Castle says: Shiny! ;)

Edited by majestic

No voice to cry suffering.

lol, the... uh... subjectivity of the title of the thread made me chuckle a little.

I watch very little TV myself. The golden age of TV is basically over, right? What people watch, they mainly watch online. We're now in the age of messing about on the internet, gaming and uh... messing about with smart phones, I guess?

That being said, I see what you mean. Game of Thrones surely proves that there's a big market for fantasy, and Star Wars proves there's a big market for sci-fi. I'd love to see more of these.

The apartment I moved into here in England a few weeks ago was furnished. Including a tv. Otherwise I've literally not had a tv for almost a year and a half. Can't say I missed it either. Now, when not watching the news (Sky, BBC, Al Jazeera etc.), I let it run on horror channel in the background. If someone screams loudly enough, i peek up and see if anything interesting is happening :p

Last thing I remember before leaving Australia was, it was all channels showing something with dancing, who has some kind of weird talent and cooking competitions. Which is probably why I forgot i had a tv for anything other than watching dvd movies on a big screen.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

The apartment I moved into here in England a few weeks ago was furnished. Including a tv. Otherwise I've literally not had a tv for almost a year and a half. Can't say I missed it either. Now, when not watching the news (Sky, BBC, Al Jazeera etc.), I let it run on horror channel in the background. If someone screams loudly enough, i peek up and see if anything interesting is happening :p

Last thing I remember before leaving Australia was, it was all channels showing something with dancing, who has some kind of weird talent and cooking competitions. Which is probably why I forgot i had a tv for anything other than watching dvd movies on a big screen.

Geez I've been reading this thread about the general dislike of TV and I just don't get it, I love my TV and I use it all the time 

Yes I do have DSTV (http://www.dstv.com/ )  which is a type of TV Satellite Service but it gives me access to must be over 100 channels that include

• 8 international news channels
  • 3-4 Cooking channels
  • 8 Movie channels
  • At least 10 sports channels
  • Numerous lifestyle channels like Travel

I feel completely spoilt  by choice and my particular DSTV package, if you have  your own Router and Internet line, offers  an additional service called Catch-Up Plus which allows me to access the DSTV  movie database ...so I literally have access to about 70-100 movies which change on a regular basis apart from  what is available through my normal subscription

So yes I love my TV and what it offers me  :wub:  

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Who even watch TV anymore? it's commercials with breaks for some **** show for braindead.

The only time I watch TV is for some news, but even then I usually just have the needed info channel feeds on my mobile.

I've used to watch some series in the past, but now it seems people want jersey shore, cooking shows, dancing shows, retard shows, and similar brain dead level of entertainment.

No thanks...

The only saving grace ov TV are some Premium channles with premium movies, and sometimes interesting series, where you do not have to watch commercials. But even those get boring because they repeat very often.

Besides Discovery channel and Motorsports channels every now and then I do not watch TV. 

All that crap like reality shows, searching for superstars / models and the grotesque abomination MTV turned into makes my brain bleed. 

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Why is TV mostly comprised of sitcoms, police procedurals, medical shows, and reality shows? Do most people lack imagination? I wish there was more sci fi and fantasy. Does childhood and our education system kill off imagination?

You can thank games like Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Knights of the Old Republic, and The Eldar Scrolls V: Skyrim for that.

I used to be a typical FPS gamer who only played Call of Duty. Several years ago. A friend begged me to play Mass Effect. A few years later I got tired of FPS and finally decided to check out Mass Effect. I was hooked from the get go. The sense of scale, the action, the adventure, the characters. I loved it! I was left begging for a TV show with awesome characters, adventure, and epic space battles.

TV shows cost a ton of money, As do special effects. This is why Star Trek had the planets they visit always be mostly barren landscapes. Because it was easier to set up on a sound stage.

I think that part of the reason for the trend of TV is the fact that the only metrics that the networks use are still Neilsen boxes. Boxes that require a landline to get, and who's ratings are suspect at best. And I'm not sure but I feel like it doesn't even catch anything beyond "network" television.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

TV shows cost a ton of money, As do special effects. This is why Star Trek had the planets they visit always be mostly barren landscapes. Because it was easier to set up on a sound stage.

I think that part of the reason for the trend of TV is the fact that the only metrics that the networks use are still Neilsen boxes. Boxes that require a landline to get, and who's ratings are suspect at best. And I'm not sure but I feel like it doesn't even catch anything beyond "network" television.

Neilson ratings aren't as important to cable networks as standard networks because the big ones like abc, cbs, and NBC still get most of their revenue from ads, while a big chunk of cable's revenue is from subscription fees. Ratings are also mostly meaningless when it comes to kids shows too, as they only care about merchandise.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I never watch Free to air TV. I also don't have pay TV. I only watch Channel BT or Youtube. Same with the girlfriend who watches Youtube on our TV. I do watch a fair amount of TV shows though. Can't wait for X-Files to come out this year.

Shows I'm currently watching or just finished watching:

12 Monkeys

Agent X

American Horror Story

Aquarius

Arrow

Ash vs Evil Dead

Banshee

Bates Motel

Better Call Saul

Between

Black Sails

Blindspot

Bosch

Castle

Colony

Continuum

Criminal Minds

Daredevil

Dark Matter

Doctor Who

Elementary

Fear The Walking Dead

Game of Thrones

Gotham

Grimm

Hannibal

Haven

Hawaii Five-0

Heroes Reborn

Homeland

Humans

Into the Badlands

Jekyll & Hyde

Killjoys

Les Revenants

Lost Girl

Once Upon a Time

Orphan Black 

Person of Interest

Quantico

Scorpion

Second Chances

Sherlock

Supergirl

Teen Wolf

The 100

The Americans

The Blacklist

The Expanse

The Fall

The Flash

The Frankenstein Chronicles

The Last Ship

The Librarians

The Shannara Chronicles

The Walking Dead

True Detective

Vikings

Z Nation

Zoo

• Like 1

Or they look amazingly like places that are close to Paramount studios. Speaking of that have you noticed on the Walking Dead Virginia looks JUST like suburban Atlanta? Including the Georgia road signs they missed scrubbing out. 

The Director FO4

I've really become rather disenchanted with television lately, and find myself unmoved by most of the modern shows I watch: For instance with historical documentaries, one is almost always disappointed by the brevity, the lack of depth and the lack of passion on display, they're as dry and uninformative as a Wikipedia article on the whole. Entertainment shows usually fail to grasp me as well, for instance Castle despite Nathan Fillion really raising the bar acting wise, just fails to involve me. Agents of Shield is the same, i'm enjoying that they have booted the Asian Mary Sue character for whatever reason but I still remain uninvolved, in fact my only thought watching the show was that one of the young ladies would make an excellent Wonder Woman physically. I'm never surprised by these shows, and can predict accurately what they'll do nine times out of ten.

Then again both the Shield, Breaking Bad and a number of other shows have broken this ennui, and provided unexpected plot directions and great entertainment.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!