What are the chance's of a console version?

Thanks for the comments and offers of advice on the Steam Controller guys.

I've always used mouse and keyboard so may give it a go as I don't have muscle memories to unlearn.

I don't suppose it will be of much use for PoE but might work for PoE:Legends (hopefully never to be released) :)

Anyway else get the War of the Worlds song "The change of anything coming from Mars..."  stuck in their head when they see the thread title?

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

BTW, it's pretty telling that DA:O, an analog with simpler controls still got significantly lower metacritic scores on console than on PC.

Pretty much. I bought DA:O for the XBOX 360 when it came out. By half-way through the game, I got frustrated with the controls and gave up. I bought it for PC years later on sale and loved it. I even persevered through areas that crashed almost every time I loaded them because I liked it so much. That game suffered a lot on console. 

Man...I can't even imagine the level of join pain from trying to play this game on a console with a controller.  The level of micro needed is already excessive on the PC with a mouse and KB.       

I thought I read somewhere that PoE now supports the steam controller. Could be be wrong though. I've definitely seen mods for gamepad profiles.

Yes.

Story mode implementation has absolutely taken *months* away from development time.

Wait, what!? There's a story mode? Ye gods... someone explain this devilry!

Brown Bear- attacks Squirrel
Brown Bear did 18 damage to Squirrel
Squirrel- death

I doubt it's taken months, considering that they've been adding immunities and balancing them.  Storymode is just normal with reduced stats.

I might have been very slightly sarcastic.

There will be in 3.0

There will be in 3.0

What does that mean, though? Skip all combat? I don't understand.

Not exactly. Combat encounters compositions are same as in normal difficulty, but player's characters get stat boosts and enemies get stat decreases which will make encounters much more simpler and less time consuming. So it is like opposite of PotD mode.

Edited by Elerond

• 1 year later...

Changes for console version are very close to zero. 

Reason for that are:

First game uses Unity 4.x as engine and to port it to Xbox One and/or PS4 they would need to port game first to Unity 5, as Unity 4.x don't support those platforms.

Game's UI and control patterns that game uses are not gamepad friendly, which means that there would be need for heavy modifications in those sectors to make game pleasant to play on consoles.

Game is writing heavy with much smaller amount of VO that W2DC(all important parts), D:OS EE (100%) have, and reading isn't something that is commonly found as pleasant experience on TV screen (because of usually relatively slow resolution compared to screen size and longer view distance compared to PC screen or other screens that are more commonly used for reading), which means that amount of VO should be increased or they should find better way to represent text for players to keep their experience pleasant

W2DC and D:OS EE use turn based combat that gives lot of leeway in how fast player needs to input their commands, where RTwP system that PoE uses also gives in theory that same leeway, in reality it has high change to make combat feel to hectic or too disjointed to actually be pleasant experience for most of the players. Meaning that combat spacing would need some sort overhaul to make it actually work on consoles.

Also Obsidian has said they don't have spare resources to do such ports.

*clears throat*

• Like 1