Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Attack speed 2.0

• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5386 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm sorry to rain on your proverbial parade, but DEX applies multiplicatively after everything else, which means you can't really count on it if your objective is to achieve 0 recovery. Still plenty useful for speeding up everything else and/or bring your recovery down to very low numbers, but since you said attribute points are premium for what you have in mind, I suppose we're not going down that route.

The math in your example would be as follows:

155% recovery (100% + 35% durgan-refined plate + 20% vulnerable attack)

-131% recovery penalty  (1.33 frenzy x 1.15 durgan x 1.2 speed x 1.15 durgan + 1.2 two weapon fighting)

which would give you 24% recovery time before dexterity (in the case of dual-wielding, we're looking at about 6 frames of recovery + the 4-frame delay.)

If you also wear the Gauntlets of Swift Action:

-162% (1.33 frenzy x 1.15 durgan x 1.2 speed x 1.15 durgan x1.15 gauntlets + 1.2 two weapon fighting)

then you'd have 0 recovery before dexterity :)

• peddroelm likes this

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1473 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm sorry to rain on your proverbial parade, but DEX applies multiplicatively after everything else, which means you can't really count on it if your objective is to achieve 0 recovery. Still plenty useful for speeding up everything else and/or bring your recovery down to very low numbers, but since you said attribute points are premium for what you have in mind, I suppose we're not going down that route.

-131% recovery penalty  (1.33 frenzy x 1.15 durgan x 1.2 speed x 1.15 durgan + 1.2 two weapon fighting)

which would give you 24% recovery time before dexterity (in the case of dual-wielding, we're looking at about 6 frames of recovery + the 4-frame delay.)

-162% (1.33 frenzy x 1.15 durgan x 1.2 speed x 1.15 durgan x1.15 gauntlets + 1.2 two weapon fighting)

Ok, I think I'm starting to understand this. 

Basically, when dual weilding one-handed normal-speed weapons, you need "200%" bonus speed in order to have 0 recovery, right? Because this is all percents, and speed percentages above 100 are what reduce recovery? 

So, if wearing normal plate, that bumps your recovery phase up to 150%. SO you then need +150% speed to eliminate that.

So, if you're also Frenzied (-1.33%) and using two-weapon fighting skill, that gives you a (roughly) fifty percent bonus to recovery, cancelling out the Plate penalty but not the base penalty. 

If you're frenzied and using at least one speed-enhanced weapon and using two-weapon fighting, but no durgan, that's going to take you down to roughly 70% of base recovery [ (1.33 * 1.2 + .2 == 1.796), then 2.5-1.796);

or if you're frenzied, using two-weapon fighting and a speed enhanced weapon, AND naked, i.e., an actual barbarian, you're down to 2 - 1.796 = .204 recovery?

If you durganize your armor and both weapons, then, that's the formula you posted, leaving you with 24% recovery time remaining.

And if you then wear the gauntlets of swift action, that zeroes you out.

So translating this all back into frames, as per the old formula (is this still correct? http://forums.obsidi...very/?p=1603618 )? 

You'd get, presuming normal speed weapons:

At 70% of base recovery, a 25 frame recovery animation with each weapon

at 24%, an 8 or 9 frame animation.

If you then have a (for example) 17 Dex, you'll take that down further, by 21%, to around 6.8 frames?

Or, if you just stay naked, a  20.4% (naked, frenzied, speed weapon), a 6.12 frame animation.

Meanwhile, of course Dexterity is also reducing your actual attack animation (which no other speed boosts can do?)(does this game round frames up or down? Are there "break points"?)

Similarly, if you're using Fast weapons, with shorter animations, then

70% speed (frenzy, two-weapon, magical speed weapon) == 16 frame recovery,

24% speed (frenzy, two-weapon, magical speed weapon, full durgan) == 5.76 frame recovery? (at which point the Gloves would be redundant because you're at the four frame limit already?)

Sorry if I'm breaking this down into baby language, I'm just coming back to this game after a long hiatus and having to re-learn everything.

Edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy, 19 January 2016 - 12:56 PM.

• gogocactus and peddroelm like this

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5386 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

The post you linked is still accurate, give or take a few frames (IME, average/slow weapons have 30-frame attack, 50-frame recovery rather than 30/54; not sure about fast weapons and dual-wielding as I've never done much frame counting for those.)

When your character is naked and has 10 DEX, you'll attack with those timings which are your 100%. You need to stack -100% recovery to bring it down to 0 from there. If you add penalties to the mix, you'll need to stack bonuses up to 100% + whatever penalty you have. So yes, if you're wearing plate you'll need -150% to go down to 0, and so on and so forth.

Keep in mind that even with your recovery down to 0, there will always be a 4-frame delay in between attacks. This can't be eliminated and was likely introduced by the devs to prevent animations from getting messy when stacking bonuses like we're doing here.

Some math from page 1 of this thread.

Edited by AndreaColombo, 19 January 2016 - 02:17 PM.

Furism

Furism

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:furism
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Just to make sure I understand this right, could somebody please confirm the terminology?

What is the difference between "melee speed" and "attack speed" ? Are they the same, except attack speed targets both melee and ranged attack speed?

What does Attack Speed include exactly? Is it only recovery frames or animation + recovery frames?

What is Fire Rate?

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15260 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Thanks to this thread I could invent this: barb disabler

Thanks a lot guys!  :dancing:

Edited by Boeroer, 20 January 2016 - 05:24 AM.

• AndreaColombo, Raven Darkholme and DreamWayfarer like this

Kaylon

Kaylon

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1301 posts

Tanks a lot guys!  :dancing:

A ranger with Lenas Er is much more effective because Twinned Arrows and Stunning Shots which lower defenses even further. The problem is most targets will be dead even before they will reach their lowest defenses...

Edited by Kaylon, 20 January 2016 - 05:01 AM.

Kaylon

Kaylon

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1301 posts

Just to make sure I understand this right, could somebody please confirm the terminology?

What is the difference between "melee speed" and "attack speed" ? Are they the same, except attack speed targets both melee and ranged attack speed?

What does Attack Speed include exactly? Is it only recovery frames or animation + recovery frames?

What is Fire Rate?

Attack speed affects the recovery of all attacks. Melee speed affects only the recovery of melee attacks (including spells benefiting from Vulnerable Attack like Jolting Touch). Ranged speed affects only the recovery of ranged attacks (including ranged spells benefiting from Penetrating Shot like Minoletta's Missiles). Fire rate affects only the recovery of ranged weapons (bows, firearms, implements). The only thing that affects the attack animation is the dex.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15260 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I'm pretty sure he's not more effective. Like... a 120% sure. :)

He's doing great things against one single target, no doubt about that. I also like my Twinned Arrows ranger. But he's not doing this in an AoE like the barb. Driving Flight doesn't work with on-hit-effects (except the x%-trigger things like Stormcaller and others of WM have). Plus: Lenas Er, Stunning Shots and Twinned Arrows come really late AND your pet has to be alive and kicking to trigger stunning shots. I prefer Stormcaller since you can get (and unlock it to exceptional) way earlier.

This guy debuffs whole mobs - not just one single target. Not only with the bebuffs but also with interrupts as a bonus. If you combine very high INT with an overseeing item and the enemies are not too big (like ogres) you easily can reach 5-6 foes at once. With Barbaric Blow and Heart of Fury (if you need a debuff NOW) even the Vile Loner's Lance is enough - and that thing you can have very early if you want. 

Kaylon

Kaylon

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1301 posts

If you want to debuff multiple targets then yes, but against single targets the ranger is king  :)

• Boeroer likes this

DreamWayfarer

DreamWayfarer

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 655 posts

If you want to debuff multiple targets then yes, but against single targets the ranger is king :)

Well, using a barbarian for single targets is kinda missing the whole point of the class, isn't it? :p

Edited by DreamWayfarer, 20 January 2016 - 05:37 AM.

• Boeroer likes this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15260 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

If you want to debuff multiple targets then yes, but against single targets the ranger is king  :)

I agree. Stunning Shots alone is awesome.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1473 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Thanks a lot guys!  :dancing:

Hah, that's one of the builds I was thinking of testing when I started asking these questions :p The real question I think is if a version of this build can work at level 6 rather than having to wait till you get to twin elms for Strike Hard. My thought was Shatterstar for its interrupt bonus, paired with Vile Loner's Lance, but maybe it'd be better to pair vile loner's with march steel for the speed bonus and see what happens.

What stat distribution did you use? Something like 10/10/15/15/19/8? 

DreamWayfarer

DreamWayfarer

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 655 posts

Thanks a lot guys! :dancing:

Hah, that's one of the builds I was thinking of testing when I started asking these questions :p The real question I think is if a version of this build can work at level 6 rather than having to wait till you get to twin elms for Strike Hard.
I think that if you don't care too much about heavy hits, you could stack as much attack speed and accuracy as possible, going as far as using only one weapon with an empty offhand, and just try to crit as often as possible with the Vile Loner's Lance.

I think I'll try it out right now, I already have a mid-level Mosquito-wielding barbarian I could respec.

A couple of initial debuffs may be necessary to begin criting, but after it gets going it wouldn't stop anymore.

EDIT: tested it with a level 6 barb:

I was able to make Pallegina's deflection go from 79 to 64 and stay there. My accuracy against her was 87 (base + 8 from PER + 13 from spear enchanted with accurate2 + 5 from kith-slaying + 12 from one handed + 6 from weapon focus + 4 from Gallant's focus).

I am unsure if critical hits increse the duration of disorienting, but I was criting consistently and I think even on PoTD it would be possible to crit often if you debuffed the enemies first.

The damage was not exactly great, but I supose the constant interrupting and -15 to all defenses in a large area might make your barbarian a decent support character, and you are still able to kill groups of adds, even if not as fast as a damage-focused barbarian.

My stats before gear and buffs:

8 MIG
8 CON
19 DEX
16 PER
16 INT
11 RES

If you think xaurip skirmishers must make me hate myself, you are right, but I find weaknesses to be fun when they force you to change tatics or plan before fighting.

Edited by DreamWayfarer, 21 January 2016 - 05:37 AM.

Furism

Furism

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

What is Fire Rate?

Attack speed affects the recovery of all attacks. Melee speed affects only the recovery of melee attacks (including spells benefiting from Vulnerable Attack like Jolting Touch). Ranged speed affects only the recovery of ranged attacks (including ranged spells benefiting from Penetrating Shot like Minoletta's Missiles). Fire rate affects only the recovery of ranged weapons (bows, firearms, implements). The only thing that affects the attack animation is the dex.

Right, good. Little subtlety that ranged attack include both ranged weapons and spells recovery, while fire rate only weapons recovery.

Thanks!

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15260 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I updated the posting. You can do it just as good with Vile Loner's Lance and a small shield. You don't need an empty hand. A durgan refined shield gives you 15% extra speed and more deflection - that's worth it.

A good thing is to debuff with a long lasting spell. Aspirant's Mark works really well. When it becomes 1/encounter it will be perfect for this build. At the moment it's 2/rest which isn't superbad. If you start with this the rest of the debuffing will be quicker.

DreamWayfarer

DreamWayfarer

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 655 posts

I updated the posting. You can do it just as good with Vile Loner's Lance and a small shield. You don't need an empty hand. A durgan refined shield gives you 15% extra speed and more deflection - that's worth it.

I did it without a shield because my barb was level 6. I don't know about you more experienced people, but the ogres you fight when you enter Stalwart convinced me to wait some more before trying the rest of the expansion.

Plus, 12 extra accuracy is nice for carnage :). And the extra deflection is not that useful if the shield is not very upgraded, since my barb is not very tanky anyway, and I can't upgrade all my gear yet.

Edited by DreamWayfarer, 20 January 2016 - 09:58 AM.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15260 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

That's right.

Level 6 is a bit early for Stalwart. :)

Furism

Furism

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Is there a reliable list somewhere with the correct frame count for each type of attack speed? I'd like to know exactly how many frames/seconds each category (Fast, Average, Slow, etc..) is exactly.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1473 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Is there a reliable list somewhere with the correct frame count for each type of attack speed? I'd like to know exactly how many frames/seconds each category (Fast, Average, Slow, etc..) is exactly.

Thread I linked above, few posts down.

edit: http://forums.obsidi...very/?p=1603618

Edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy, 21 January 2016 - 05:53 AM.

Mercbeast

Mercbeast

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 70 posts

Does this mean if your goal is to reach 0 recovery, 10 dex will work fine? In other words, does this mean that putting points into dex are basically wasted points if this is your goal?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users