Hi forum community,

I've been reading a lot of your build and strategy ideas, and since I'm struggling with finding a character that really suits me I was hoping that your expertise could help.

First of all, I want a character with as much conversation options as possible. I understand that I don't "need" them all, but whenever I made a character that lacked either Intelligence, Perception or Resolve, I eventually came upon a conversation choice I really wanted to pick but couldn't ... and then another ... and then another ... and then I got frustrated and deleted the character.

I don't need an 18-20 on all three conversation attributes, nor do I need to be able to pick every single conversation option in the game ... but Perception 3/Resolve 3/Intelligence 3 builds are just not fun.

Obviously, the character should still be viable for combat. Standard difficulty is enough though. Oh, and I'm playing with a full group of story companions.

Regarding class and species I'm rather flexible. However, I already did one playthrough with a chanter and would like to pick a new class for my expansion playthrough.

Thank you for your advice!

I'd go paladin, since all these attributes matter to it.

Res for Def, Int for auras and later AoE burner, Per for Acc.

Also you get more out of roleplaying a character with a paladin (and priest), since your choices are actually reflected in your Faith and Conviction strength.

Paladin was the last character I tried, and I really enjoyed her ... apart from the fact that the build advice that I followed (I think it was from the steam forums) had 3 Perception. That totally ruined the roleplaying.

How would you suggest I build the paladin with more perception without making her too bad in combat?

• Like 1

Haha.^^

The 3 Per build has very few, but very vocal supporters.

Apparently a "famous" Youtuber invented this, so it has to be good, right? :)

I take it, you are going to use a party, right?

I would suggest the following stats as base, you can vary according to your own taste:

MI 14

CO 10

DE 3

PE 14

IN 18

RE 19

Race is Wild Orlan and Culture Living Lands.

With a resting bonus of +2 to your PER you can already win most PER based speech checks. With Liliths Cloak from the lighthouse you have 19 PER and can even win the checks for poisoning the clan leader in Twin Elms. There's also Carow Golan for + 2 PER and a whore in the Salty Mast for more PER bonuses.

Edited by Raven Darkholme

I would also vote for Paladin. First of all you get the chance to boost you defenses just by "roleplaying" his order correctly as the main character. Then - as Raven said - the stats you want fit very well for a Paladin.

But you could also take a Fighter. Some people don't give their fighters INT, bt the truth is that some of their abilities do profit enormously if you build a high INT fighter. High RES and PER are always good for a frontliner.

To be honest you could use every class. A melee ranger would also be possible or a monk. Even a tanky rogue who focuses on crits. Don't gimp yourself if you have a favorite class. You can make it work with those stats in this game - even on PotD difficulty. For example I did this druid tank and he nearly has these stats (just swap MIG and PER). He turned out to be great.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I would also vote for Paladin. First of all you get the chance to boost you defenses just by "roleplaying" his order correctly as the main character. Then - as Raven said - the stats you want fit very well for a Paladin.

But you could also take a Fighter. Some people don't give their fighters INT, bt the truth is that some of their abilities do profit enormously if you build a high INT fighter. High RES and PER are always good for a frontliner.

To be honest you could use every class. A melee ranger would also be possible or a monk. Even a tanky rogue who focuses on crits. Don't gimp yourself if you have a favorite class. You can make it work with those stats in this game - even on PotD difficulty. For example I did this druid tank and he nearly has these stats (just swap MIG and PER). He turned out to be great.

This is totally true ofc.

Stats don't matter that much.

I just find min/maxing something you can overdo and easily choose the wrong attributes.

3 MI and PER builds are just plain dumb in my opinion.

• Like 1

Well - a paladin with 3 DEX and 3 PER and the right abilities and talents can tank really well - but besides giving support and heals he can do nothing else. If he's the last man standing: don't waste time - hit the reload button. :)

Druid tank sounds like an interessting alternative.

Would I use the same stats as mentioned above or would her healing/casting output be too low?

I never played a druid, but generally for casters high IN important for long durations of your buffs.

Would I use the same stats as mentioned above or would her healing/casting output be too low?

Druid tank is good alternative, it tanking as much as possible in this game, but then you can play with spells.

Base would be Might/Resolve/Int 15 and nodumped Con. The rest is up to taste, some points in Perception (12+) helps with landing CC. We can also healself and others so higher Might is good.

I played this build and it was fun: Druid tank

You can just adapt the stats. Maybe take away some MIG and CON and put it into PER. If you dump DEX completely casting will be very slooooow thooooough. ;)

I was sifting through the forum and found a melee cipher build with pretty good INT/PER/RES.

Since I remember several dialogue choices being cipher only that could be an interesting class choice as well.

Do you think it would suit my style (i.e. conversation/roleplaying first, combat/optimisation second)?

I was sifting through the forum and found a melee cipher build with pretty good INT/PER/RES.

Since I remember several dialogue choices being cipher only that could be an interesting class choice as well.

Do you think it would suit my style (i.e. conversation/roleplaying first, combat/optimisation second)?

It could work well. Since the extra damage from Soul Whip is not affected by Might, you can leave it and Con at 10 and spread the rest between the other stats, giving preference to INT and DEX.

My first PotD solo was a cipher.

I got every dialogue I wanted.

What was your stat distribution?

I honestly can't remember the details, this was version 1.04, lol.

These days I would go with something like:

MI 12

CO 3

DE 14

PE 18

IN 17

RE 14

Race Moonlike

You really need to know how to cipher, to melee with 3 CON tho, so if you want to be more defensive:

MI 12

CO 7

DE 12

PE 16

IN 17

RE 14

So I made a druid with the following stats:

Might: 14

Con: 10

Dex: 9

Int: 15

Per: 15

Res: 15

Hearth Orlan, White that Wends

Lore:+2

I haven't started playing yet since this is in preparation of White March II.

My party will probably consist of:

Pallegina

Aloth

Sagani (+ Itumaak, never foget the fluffy fox)

Kana

(1 of the new White March characters, depending on who I like best)

Do you think this will work or should I keep looking for a different character/build?